pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

To all who want to pay the salaries of all of Carnival's employees, Fine :) That is great.

If you look at it this way, when I go to a restaraunt, I tip my waiter. I do not tip the busboy, or the greeter/hostess, or the manager. I only tip my waiter.

As as someone even explained up thread, those busboys/greeter/hostess or manager do not get server salaries augmented with tips. They have to get at least minimum wage.

I saw a tip jar at Five Guys yesterday. I was like, "HUH"?

To all who want to pay the salaries of all of Carnival's employees, Fine :) That is great.

If you look at it this way, when I go to a restaraunt, I tip my waiter. I do not tip the busboy, or the greeter/hostess, or the manager. I only tip my waiter.

Yes you do, indirectly that is. I have been a server for 3 restaurants and had to give them a percentage of my tips. BTW cruiselines are not governed by US employment law.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Forums mobile app

Yes you do, indirectly that is. I have been a server for 3 restaurants and had to give them a percentage of my tips. BTW cruiselines are not governed by US employment law.

See, I know people that don't take that job if they are told they have to share or pool tips. I would make that determination on bus people if it were worth it to let them do the dirty work and give them a portion of my tips.

But clearly, as a customer, I don't even give that a thought when I tip on my meal.

Edited by Tithonus

That's the big secret. If you let them take that, all you're doing is helping Carnival pay salaries of those individuals. They do NOT get tips.

Keep googling. You will eventually come across the pay structure in board, and who receives tips, and who are the salaried workers. It's all out there.

Geez I guess Carnival site is just a big fat lie according to you. At lesst I supported my claim. You did not. You must be all knowing. I bow to you.

If you belive that then maybe you will be intrested in the bridge I have for sale. In most restaraunts tips are required to be poolled and all non management employees get a share.

AS FOR PAYING CARNIVAL EMPLOYEE WAGES. As with all service empolyees in the U.S. the company is allowed to and in most cases does pay them a lower rate cause they recive tips.

If you belive that then maybe you will be intrested in the bridge I have for sale. In most restaraunts tips are required to be poolled and all non management employees get a share.

AS FOR PAYING CARNIVAL EMPLOYEE WAGES. As with all service empolyees in the U.S. the company is allowed to and in most cases does pay them a lower rate cause they recive tips.

Someone who has common sense. YEAH! LIKE:)

Geez I guess Carnival site is just a big fat lie according to you. At lesst I supported my claim. You did not. You must be all knowing. I bow to you.

Yeah. I expect to see how people are paid on a customer website.:rolleyes:

You should have bolded or highlited SERVICE EMPLOYEES.

I would not take a job where I had to pool tips. I have waitressed in good restaurants (by no means five star or anything fancy) and I have NEVER pooled tips. And that is not MOST restaurants. That is some. Tips are earned by the server, not by anyone else so I would be pissed if someone tried to take my tips.

Also have my cosmetology license. I would never share my tips there. i would laugh my way out of any salon that tried to take my tips. That is also the service industry. I also wouldn't share my tips with the secretary.

And how do we know the crew gets all these gratuities? and that the cruise lines don't nickle and dime the money away from them? On our last cruise my DH talked with a tour guide-granted, he did not work for the cruise line-but he informed my husband that 60% of his tip goes back to his company. I am one of those who do not have the tip placed on my bill, I put it in an envelope and give it to the ones who have served me. I do not drink alcohol-why should I leave a tip for the wine steward? I do not go the the gym-should I tip them? The meaning of TIP has always been-TO INSURE PROMPTNESS-but society has changed it to being a duty. When I go to a restaurant and they ask for the tip before I get served, that is not a tip, but a bribe. The wages the crew makes is high end in the country they come from. Call me cheap if you want; I will wear it as a badge.

Because the crew hasn't mutinied. That's how we know they get the money.

Tip does NOT stand for To Ensure Promptness, nor does it stand for To INSURE Promptness.

The suggested minimum isn't a tip, it IS the crew's pay. Not paying it is unconscionable. Being called 'cheap' isn't your real concern.

Customers pay the salaries of everyone who works for a company. That is how a business works.

Here's a tidbit: Companies do not pay taxes. Customers of companies pay the taxes, the companies just process the transaction.

The suggested minimum isn't a tip, it IS the crew's pay.

Agree 100%. But wouldn't it be nice if the cruise lines admitted this as well and stopped calling them 'gratuities'. I know this is wishful thinking on my part but it might happen one day. :rolleyes:

Oh well, until then I guess we'll just have to entertain ourselves with these tipping threads. :D

Carry on.

I have done a lot of research into this subject and my conclusion is that the majority of Brits remove the auto-tip.

This is because they feel that the advertised price for a cruise is what they should pay. Many don't read the t&c or the small print, so when they get on board it is a real shock to find that the cruise doesn't include tips and will cost a lot more.

Many Europeans will only tip if they feel they have had good service, not because a company tells them to.

A group of elderly people, who were Princess Platinum, told me that the way they can afford an extra cruise is by removing the auto-tips and then tipping exceptional crew, a bit less in cash!

My wife and I leave the auto-tip on, rarely tipping extra and always receive the same good service.

I'd love to know how many people remove the auto-tip and the demographics involved, but I doubt I'll ever find out.

As as someone even explained up thread, those busboys/greeter/hostess or manager do not get server salaries augmented with tips. They have to get at least minimum wage.

I saw a tip jar at Five Guys yesterday. I was like, "HUH"?

Most restaurant chains in the US require what is called 'Tip Outs' where the server is expected to tip busboys, bartenders, etc a set % of their SALES (not a % of their tips).

So if a server sells $1000 in food on a shift, they are often expected to tip out about 6% of that, regardless of what their actual tips are.

I have done a lot of research into this subject and my conclusion is that the majority of Brits remove the auto-tip.

This is because they feel that the advertised price for a cruise is what they should pay. Many don't read the t&c or the small print, so when they get on board it is a real shock to find that the cruise doesn't include tips and will cost a lot more.

Many Europeans will only tip if they feel they have had good service, not because a company tells them to.

A group of elderly people, who were Princess Platinum, told me that the way they can afford an extra cruise is by removing the auto-tips and then tipping exceptional crew, a bit less in cash!

My wife and I leave the auto-tip on, rarely tipping extra and always receive the same good service.

I'd love to know how many people remove the auto-tip and the demographics involved, but I doubt I'll ever find out.

I have been a bartender over half of my life and could write a book on the subject :)

Probably 90% of the time I can tell if I will get tipped well or not at all

Most restaurant chains in the US require what is called 'Tip Outs' where the server is expected to tip busboys, bartenders, etc a set % of their SALES (not a % of their tips).

So if a server sells $1000 in food on a shift, they are often expected to tip out about 6% of that, regardless of what their actual tips are.

That's actually the rarity, and most people would walk out before they even started in my parts that they had to share anything. And did you know busboys make minimum wage? There's no way around that.

Would you share your pay?

Edited by Tithonus

That's actually the rarity, and most people would walk out before they even started in my parts that they had to share anything. And did you know busboys make minimum wage? There's no way around that.

Would you share your pay?

I've been a waiter... At the particular restaurant, if the owner demands you pay out, then either do it or find another employer who doesn't use the practice. If you earn good tips and want to keep the job, then "Yes."

Edited by kylenyc

I've been a waiter... At the particular restaurant, if the owner demands you pay out, then either do it or find another employer who doesn't use the practice. If you earn good tips and want to keep the job, then "Yes."

He doesn't just "demand it". He would explain it at the time of hiring. He would see my back.

Some people will look for a reason so they can cancel the tips and feel justified doing it. CHEAP!!

Yes and if they make up some BS excuse to give guest services it will be noted and the poor crewmember will not only not get a tip, but will get demerits which will lead to dismissal. Cheap isn't the only word for their despicable behavior.

I understand the cultural difference. It is what it is. I would be shocked if you ever found true information on who does and does not tip. If you do, let us all know.