Missing the Ship???

rhinomike

Did a zip line tour once on a ship tour, I think it was Belize, very far away from Port, about 2.5 hours each way.

We were way late, about two hours after sailing time.

When we got back to the tender area they put us on a small boat and we had to catch the ship which was already sailing. The tender pull right up to the ship and we got aboard the ship which was moving very fast... scary.

Bottom line I only do ship tours if they are "involved"

PG

I have not heard of a ship leaving when one of their excursions is delayed.

I haven't heard of this either. If you've booked your excursion through Carnival, they will wait for you. This is why we only book Carnival excursions! It's worth the extra money to have that piece of mind while we are off the ship. You're suppose to spend your vacations relaxing, not worrying if you're going to make it back to the ship or not! ;)

I haven't heard of this either. If you've booked your excursion through Carnival, they will wait for you. This is why we only book Carnival excursions! It's worth the extra money to have that piece of mind while we are off the ship. You're suppose to spend your vacations relaxing, not worrying if you're going to make it back to the ship or not! ;)

Whether it is CCL or another line, we always book our excursions through the line rather than going with the independents.

Yes, ship's excursions are more expensive (sometime much more) but I believe the ship will wait for "their" excursion group even if they are late coming back.

I know Mrs. will be all paranoid with just a hint of trouble. If she is worried, I have a problem! Peace, to me, sometimes comes with a price!

Well, if you want to know what each cruise line is like, then you would have to ask on each board. Personally, I only read CCL, with the exception of the one year we sailed on HAL.

agreed, I only read Carnival. Who cares if she posts it in 50 places?? That's just being confrontational for no reason

On her first cruise, my mom almost missed the ship in Belize. She was on a ship tour to the ruins and they were late getting back. Luckily, the ship waited. However, it cemented my policy on excursions. If it's anything a long ways away, ship excursion only. If I book a private excursion, I do so with a cushion. And I'm always back to the port early. I'll walk around and do some shopping before I get on the ship.

Know when you need to be back on board and BE BACK ON Board. If 3000 other people can do it, you can too!

On our last cruise, the last port Nassua, we were suppose to be back on board by 6:30 to sail at 7. Having a balcony we always what for the pier runners. At 6:30, there was a line wrapped around the back of the ship waiting to get back on board. At least 100 people or more.

If 3000 other people can do it, you can too! How true!

When I book a private excursion I always make sure I have enough time for my excursion and never try to squeeze it in.

For example, we'll be in port for 9 hours on my next cruse, and my excursion is 3 hours, giving me plenty of time to get to the ship :)

That depends on the cruise. I have been on Eastern and Western cruises where they did both (changed time and didn't change time). Whether the ship changes time or not, ALWAYS follow ship time!

That has been my experience also. In fact I would say that on my cruises, they usually did change the time when crossing time zones.

Yes it happens. If you are on a cruise line's excursion - the ship will wait - if not - you will most likely be left behind. I've only been on a few cruises and seen it happen more than once.

I was on a ship's sponsored tour in Tortola a few years ago - we were 40 minutes late getting back - as soon as the last person stepped off the gangway - we set sail.

We were leaving Montego Bay a couple years ago and about five taxis pulled up after we had already pushed away from the pier. Several passengers got out and started running toward to ship. It was too late. We were told they had a bad traffic accident that blocked the road and were no allowing any vehicles to pass. It was our last port so they had to fly back to the states on their own dime. Also, we were in Tortola this past March on a Carnival tour that ran about an hour late. The ship waited on us! Our tour was the only one they were waiting on and our driver was pretty nervous!

There was a long and fascinating thread on the Carnival board a few years back about a group that had missed the ship (maybe it was in Cozumel?) and they had a heck of a time catching up with the ship. Not all of them had passports with them, so they couldn't fly to the next port (maybe Belize), so they finally got a rental car but were held up a long time at the border...

If anyone can remember enough about this to be able to search for it, it would be interesting reading for the OP and others who wonder about these issues.

Archived