What happens if we are early?

mutare

If someone can explain guest ticket as opposed to xpress pass I would be grateful. Apparently the boarding time for our deck is only 4 pm which rather puts paid to my plans for lunch. What would happen if we did arrive with the first group (11 am ). Would we have to sit and twiddle our thumbs for 5 hours?

We had the same boarding process on our least cruise. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what happens if you arrive early. It seems as if you will have to wait until 4 pm to check in. We were able to board early as we were in an Aqua Class stateroom.

It seems that there were other exceptions to the boarding process. Perhaps Elite CC members could check in at any time?

Great question. Will be interested to see other posters' experience.

I've never had staggered boarding either always turned up about 11am and been on board with thirty minutes. (This is at Southampton x 3, Venice and Rome)

What time is sailaway? And what port are you sailing from? Maybe it's them making the rules and not Celebrity :eek:

OP didn't mention that the sail time for this cruise ( out of Auckland, I believe) is 8 pm. So it is very likely that the 4 pm time is "cabin ready" time just as 1pm would be "cabin ready" time for a 5 pm departure, say, out of Ft Lauderdale. ( so our experiences of arriving at 11 am don't apply in this case.)

OP didn't mention that the sail time for this cruise ( out of Auckland, I believe) is 8 pm. So it is very likely that the 4 pm time is "cabin ready" time just as 1pm would be "cabin ready" time for a 5 pm departure, say, out of Ft Lauderdale. ( so our experiences of arriving at 11 am don't apply in this case.)

When I went on the Summit out of San Juan Puerto Rico last year with an 8:30pm departure, I was on the ship by noon and rooms were ready around 1:30pm.

Monica

I'm sure there won't be a problem getting on board if you turn up at 11. Even if there is they'll take your bags (except carry-ons as there's not usually any storage) so you're free to walk round Auckland for a while - the ship docks downtown.

Mutare, could you check your boarding instructions, please, and confirm for all of us that you have deck-specific boarding times? Asking because this has never been the procedure before, and if this is something new for this embarkation port, we can try to give you better advice.

We are embarking today for our Hawaiian cruise on Century. Some people on our roll call said the received an e-mail from Celeberty stating that they would have boarding times by deck starting at 1130 up to 2:30. I did not receive a e-mail but saw what another roll call member cut and pated on the roll call page. I have attached below.

This is the email

Check-In Appointment

Celebrity Cruises would like to offer the following Check-in times to better enhance the check in and boarding experience. Check-in will take place between 11:30 am and 3:30 pm. We encourage and recommend guests arrive at the following designated times to limit queues and wait times.

Deck 10 & 12 - 11:30 am

Deck 9 - 12:30 pm

Deck 8 - 1:15 pm

Deck 5 & 4 - 2:00 pm

Suite Guests and our Captain Club Members can check-in and board anytime at their convenience between the hours of 11:00am and 3:30pm. This also applies for any guests who have purchased flights and/or transfers through Celebrity Cruises.

Thank you for your assistance in providing this information to your clients sailing onboard Celebrity Century. As always, we thank you for your ongoing support of Celebrity Cruises.

The following passengers are affected.

Booking IDPassenger Name :mad:

received a call from Celeberty, Sat 19 Oct informing me I could board anytime from 1100-1530. because I'am Capt Club.:confused:

If you get to the terminal before the desks are staffed you stand in line. After the check in you will be sent to the holding area to wait to board the ship if is is not ready.

Cruise lines always suggest getting there after 1:00 to avoid the waiting and be able to have immediate access to your cabin upon boarding.

.🎃

Check-In Appointment

Celebrity Cruises would like to offer the following Check-in times to better enhance the check in and boarding experience. Check-in will take place between 11:30 am and 3:30 pm. We encourage and recommend guests arrive at the following designated times to limit queues and wait times.

Suite Guests and our Captain Club Members can check-in and board anytime at their convenience between the hours of 11:00am and 3:30pm. This also applies for any guests who have purchased flights and/or transfers through Celebrity Cruises.

Thank you for your assistance in providing this information to your clients sailing onboard Celebrity Century. As always, we thank you for your ongoing support of Celebrity Cruises.

This seems to be a new process that X is experimenting. It is not enforced but "encouraged and recommended". It does not apply to Captain Club members. Therefore it affects only a small percentage of passengers, namely, first time X passengers who are not staying in a suite, who did not book the air through ChoiceAir, and who did not purchase transfer from X. This is sad, as I think it has a negative impression on potential long term clients.

Doesn't seem that this new policy has any real impact since it applies to a limited number of pax as pointed out by a previous poster. To be worthwhile, it should apply to everyone. What good is a policy to embark by deck if it only applies to a minority? Can't see how it makes much difference, other than cause confusion. Does it apply to me, doesn't it ?????

We received our Guest ticket booklet for our Solstice departure out of Auckland on 10 December and are very disappointed to see that check in times are allocated by deck. We are on Deck 3 which means 4 pm.

We are going to check out of our hotel in the morning (because we have to anyway) and head down to the cruise terminal and at least leave our bags, even if they won't let us board.

Feel a bit disappointed about it all, especially as we did not have much choice as to which deck we would be on as I require an accessible cabin. I am being provided with assisted boarding so am hopeful that this will be able to happen earlier in the day.

Not going to leave me much exploration time the before we sail otherwise - I do walk, but I walk solwly! Cruising is a new experience for us and we are so excited about it that nothing is going to dent our fun, even late boarding.

Jennie

Sounds like a good reason to join the Captain's Club, even the precruise level as that would give you priority boarding in this case.

I am a "preview" Captain's Club member - didn't realise that entitles us to priority boarding - yay!

If someone can explain guest ticket as opposed to xpress pass I would be grateful. Apparently the boarding time for our deck is only 4 pm which rather puts paid to my plans for lunch. What would happen if we did arrive with the first group (11 am ). Would we have to sit and twiddle our thumbs for 5 hours?

Never heard of this.

This seems to be a new process that X is experimenting. It is not enforced but "encouraged and recommended". It does not apply to Captain Club members. Therefore it affects only a small percentage of passengers, namely, first time X passengers who are not staying in a suite, who did not book the air through ChoiceAir, and who did not purchase transfer from X. This is sad, as I think it has a negative impression on potential long term clients.

That's me! Looks like I may get to see more of Auckland than I had planned ( we are spending 5 days there before the cruise). Not as much fun lugging the carry on bags all day. Don't mind when the cabins are ready but was really looking forward to lunch at Bistro.

I am a "preview" Captain's Club member - didn't realise that entitles us to priority boarding - yay!

OK now I'm more confused. What is a preview member? Never heard the term but as a first timer there is oh so much I don't know!

OK now I'm more confused. What is a preview member? Never heard the term but as a first timer there is oh so much I don't know!

A new level of Captain's Club where you can enroll in Captain's Club before taking your first Celebrity cruise. The information is on Celebrity's website.

We are embarking today for our Hawaiian cruise on Century. Some people on our roll call said the received an e-mail from Celeberty stating that they would have boarding times by deck starting at 1130 up to 2:30. I did not receive a e-mail but saw what another roll call member cut and pated on the roll call page. I have attached below.

This is the email

Check-In Appointment

received a call from Celeberty, Sat 19 Oct informing me I could board anytime from 1100-1530. because I'am Capt Club.:confused:

I recently received a similar email for our cruise departing from Auckland Nov 16. Staggered boarding times unless in a Suite or Captains Club member. This was listed in our Guest Ticket Booklet. Seems there may be a attempt to change boarding policy or maybe it has something to do with the departure point and facilities available there.

Check-In Appointment

Celebrity Cruises would like to offer the following Check-in times to better enhance the check in and boarding experience. Check In will take place

between 11:30 AM and 4:00 PM. We encourage and recommend guests arrive at the following designated times to limit queues and wait times.

Deck 12 & 11 11:30 AM

Deck 10 12:30 PM

Deck 9 1:30 PM

Deck 8 2:30 PM

Deck 7 3:30 PM

Deck 6 & 3 4:00 PM

Luckily I'm Select so can board anytime. It will be interesting to see if they enforce the listed times :confused:

Cheers

Deb :)

Edited by debmm

Staggered boarding times out of Sydney and Auckland are in place because these cruise terminals have not been set up to deal with the volume of passengers that the larger ships need to embark. It is not limited to X - I believe that Voyager OTS and Carnival Spirit also have staggered boarding times in these ports. By all means turn up when you check out of your hotel/arrive from the airport and drop off your baggage. If embarkation is light, you may be allowed to board. However, also be aware that you may be turned away and asked to return at your designated time.

Cheers,

Staggered boarding times may very well be a routine thing in the future and most probably will be more than just recommended.

Staffing the correct number of check in clerks, baggage handlers and all else that goes along with embarkation day is much easier to do if you have a steady calculated number of passengers to deal with in a certain period of time.

Just like the way they stagger disembarkation times by color, number or whatever to prevent massive bottlenecks at customs, elevators, baggage retrieval, passenger pickup etc.

Makes sense to deal with 750 passengers each hour rather than trying to deal with 1500 the first hour, 1000 the next then 300 some odd for the next two hours and having staff waiting idle until it's time to punch out.

As ships get larger something has to change to make embarkation smoother.

OMO

bosco