Fjordland Natl Park or Milford, Dusky & Doubtful Sounds?

Please forgive my lack of geographical familiarity with New Zealand, but I am looking for some advice on itinerary selection. We plan to sail to NZ from Australia in Jan or Feb 2015. I have a couple of questions. Only HAL offers a cruise that covers Milford Sound (not Dusky or Doubtful) and Fjordland Natl Park, but it is also several hundred dollars more expensive. The other mainstream cruise lines offer only cruising the Sounds or Fjordland. Is one better than the other for cruising and scenery? I have looked at pictures online, and all places look beautiful. I realize this is an opinion question, but if anyone out there has cruised to both places, please tell me which you prefer, or if we should sail HAL and not miss either. Also, is Hobart, Tasmania a "must see" port? Finally, can we vist Bay of Islands on a day trip from Aukland if the cruise ship does not visit it? So many choices!! This will probably be our only chance to visit beautiful NZ and Australia. Thank you for any help and advice you can give. :confused:

I'm not too good on NZ geography either, but I thought Milford, Dusky and Doubtful Sounds were in the Fjordland National Park. My impression is that the Park encompasses the entire area. When we sailed to NZ we saw all 3 sounds. Milford Sound was the most spectacular. I can't remember exactly what we listed on the itinerary though.

I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than I am will be able to confirm or refute this for you though! :D

I think you will find that you will go through all the Sounds, could just be the way the different companys have worded it. Hobart is a beautiful city, & not to be missed. If you can, try & get out to Port Arthur such a beautiful place. :)

I'm not too good on NZ geography either, but I thought Milford, Dusky and Doubtful Sounds were in the Fjordland National Park. My impression is that the Park encompasses the entire area. When we sailed to NZ we saw all 3 sounds. Milford Sound was the most spectacular. I can't remember exactly what we listed on the itinerary though.

I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than I am will be able to confirm or refute this for you though! :D

Yes. As far as I am aware , all cruise ships follow the same path.

It is dictated by the Park for Conservation and Safety reasons. All 3 fiords are visited, (weather permitting). Coming from Au, they enter Milford Sound around breakfast do a U turn and sail back out to sea. They then cruise down the coast and follow a V pattern to cruise the other 2 sounds. Coming from NZ it is done in reverse order.

It is all scenic cruising . The only ones who get off/on are those who do the overland tour and they leave/join the ship in Milford Sound. A local tour boat comes out and they climb aboard.

Thank you everyone for the information. What cruise line offers an overland tour from Milford Sound?

You would need to check the shore excursions that are offered for each line. I think the Queenstown Overland is a fairly standard itinerary available to all cruise lines. Whether they choose to offer the option is over to them as they have to time their arrival in Milford Sound to co-ordinate.

Archived