Bananarama Resort or just beach??

aggie_gal

Going to Bananarama Resort is basically the same as going to West Bay Beach as it sits directly on the beach. You can quench your thirst at the Thirsty Turtle and get some snorkeling in while enjoying the fine setting.

Go to their website. I know for $35 you get picked up and delivered back to the pier, 1 free drink, and a lounge chair on the beach wherever you want it placed, and use of the facilities. For a little bit more you can rent snorkle equipment and/or kayak. It is a great place. Drinks and food is good. My husband loves the pizza! We go all the time we are in Roatan.

I stayed in Roatan last February after having enjoyed a cruise stop on the Crown Princess a couple of months earlier. I know that there is a cab stand about 100 yards behind the Bananarama with many drivers always waiting for someone to come by and they'll be happy to get you back to the port.

I'm not sure about showers as I always just walked down the beach to our rental house but you may certainly use the bathroom at Bananarama or any other restaurant/bar if you're using their facilities. I enjoyed the laid back atmosphere at Bananarama compared to other locations and they almost always have music (sometimes live) playing and their staff is very attentive and friendly.

Within about a 1/4 mile walk down the beach you can enjoy the pool and amenities of Gumbalimba (ziplines, monkeys, beach) if you care to venture down there and then walk over the "skybridge" that crosses a boat landing. The crossing is not for the faint of heart but any normally healthy person can handle the steps up and over to the other side. It might be something you'd enjoy beyond the beach options at Bananarama. Oh, you could take a water taxi there for $3 pp to scope it out and possibly return by foot if you feel you could handle the skybridge.

That's what we'll most likely do...the $40 option that includes snorkel equipment. My biggest concern is we have our 3-year old with us and want to be able to go back to the ship when we're ready and not have to wait a for a designated shuttle to take the whole group back. Basically I need to know if the shuttle is an at your service type or if we have to wait until a set time to return to the ship. I've looked and looked, but haven't been able to determine this.

I'd recommend just getting/negotiating a cab from the port. If you are docked in Mahogany Bay, a reasonable rate for up to 4 people to Bananarama would be $40 or $20 if you're in Coxen Hole. There are many good dive/snorkel shops at the beach that will offer their snorkel equipment for $5 pp and then you have the flexibility to eat, explore, sit where you wish. I know that some resorts like Infinity will try to charge you $25 per chair but just down the beach at Beachers, you can use their chairs for free if you're eating or enjoying their beverages.

Going to Bananarama is very appealing to us, but my main concern is their cancellation policy especially if the ship ends up not going to Roatan for some reason or another. Here is their cancellation policy:

Cancellation Policy: Notice of cancellation given prior to 30 days before your arrival will result in a full refund excluding a $50 service fee. Reservations cancelled within 30 days, but prior to 7 days before your arrival, will be credited to you for your use within 1 year expiration limit, excluding a $50 service fee. This credit can be transferred to another party. If you cancel your reservation within 7 days of your arrival we cannot refund or credit your payment. If your cruise ship changes the itinerary and does not port with us, we will refund your payment minus service charges.

We were previously on a cruise that had to skip Roatan and by the above statement it sounds like that they will charge you $50 due to no fault of your own. Am I reading this right or am I missing something?

Go to their website. I know for $35 you get picked up and delivered back to the pier, 1 free drink, and a lounge chair on the beach wherever you want it placed, and use of the facilities. For a little bit more you can rent snorkle equipment and/or kayak. It is a great place. Drinks and food is good. My husband loves the pizza! We go all the time we are in Roatan.

I would not choose this option again if someone else paid for it. Their "ride" left us at the port waiting for over an hour. Then their chairs are filthy, prices high and when it came time to go back to the port the "ride" stranded us and another couple. It took us all complaining and over an hour to get them to find someone to take us back to the port. They were all going to go home and leave us there.

What a nightmare, i would rather pay more and book with the ship for the Tabayana excursion since they run all day back and forth.

Or 4 of you could do a private with Victor Bodden. It would only be $25 each and the driver would take care of your stuff and be with you all day. That seems much better in the long run than just getting a taxi on your on each way for $40 each way. Then you don't have any transportation or security for your stuff worries.

That's what we will do next spring.

I would not choose this option again if someone else paid for it. Their "ride" left us at the port waiting for over an hour. Then their chairs are filthy, prices high and when it came time to go back to the port the "ride" stranded us and another couple. It took us all complaining and over an hour to get them to find someone to take us back to the port. They were all going to go home and leave us there.

What a nightmare, i would rather pay more and book with the ship for the Tabayana excursion since they run all day back and forth.

Yours is the first really negative review I've seen of Bananrama -- hope more folks will share their experience (good or bad) with them.

Kansas City Guys: I would clarify with them if the "service charge" is $50 if the port is missed, also want to find out how much a chair rental fee is if we do our own transportation.

They were all going to go home and leave us there.

Did they really tell you that?

You know, price isn't the only reason many of us avoid the ship's excursions. They're usually crowded and impersonal. They often make you feel like cattle, being herded from one line to another, while you wait on everyone else. At least smaller operations let you sit in a chair while you wait... and, I bet if you ask them, they'd clean off a chair for you. ;)

I'm trying to decide which is the better option...going to Bananarama Resort or just plopping our stuff down on West Bay Beach?? Any pros/cons to each??

Book a private tour with one of the companies that get outstanding reviews (or ask for a recommendation and we can say names of our favorites without a trip to the naughty corner). For 4+ people it's $25 per person for a private driver ALL DAY to go where you WANT and stop where you WANT and see what you WANT when you WANT to. lol

We were there in Jan 2013 and did not pay a DIME to snorkel. We take our own gear (for sanitation reasons :cool:), used the FREE public beach access located NEXT to banarama resort, turned left on the beach and walked toward Infinity Bay and TAbayana.

When we return in Dec 2013 we will repeat this and plan for lunch at Infinity Bay for lobster nacho's - thus using their chairs and restroom facilities while we eat. So, for a budget traveler such as myself - I highly recommend this route! And our tour operator requires NO deposit... just show up, enjoy your day and pay when all done. So, no deposit worries or hassles if island gets missed, etc.

BTW, if you book a private tour (or cab) to get to the beach / Banarama resort area - I bet you would be able to walk up and rent a chair WITHOUT reservations. When we were there in January the lounge chairs were mostly empty all along the beach area at every location.

Counting down...

Amy

BTW, if you book a private tour (or cab) to get to the beach / Banarama resort area - I bet you would be able to walk up and rent a chair WITHOUT reservations.

We've done just that, but I don't remember how much the loungers were. It wasn't unreasonable though... that, I would remember! ;)

Did they really tell you that?

You know, price isn't the only reason many of us avoid the ship's excursions. They're usually crowded and impersonal. They often make you feel like cattle, being herded from one line to another, while you wait on everyone else. At least smaller operations let you sit in a chair while you wait... and, I bet if you ask them, they'd clean off a chair for you. ;)

Yes they really were closing up the shop and leaving while we sat there with another couple. There was a taxi driver sitting there very ready to take up back for a price but since i had already booked with them direct I expected, as did the other couple for the transportation i already paid for to be provided.

Also, about the chair, as a matter of fact I asked for a different chair twice and all of the sudden no one spoke english. I finally took the chair they offered, waited till they walked away and then went and got another chair.

I always avoid the cruise ship excursions as a matter of fact and this was no different. I am sorry that you dont believe me but this is how i was treated. Other experiences may differ. I wrote a review on Trip Advisor after this excursion. Others may have a much better experience, maybe they were having an off day.

Yes they really were closing up the shop and leaving while we sat there with another couple. There was a taxi driver sitting there very ready to take up back for a price but since i had already booked with them direct I expected, as did the other couple for the transportation i already paid for to be provided.

Most of Bananarama's business comes from SCUBA diving tourists, and they stay all week. The resort is open for those overnight guests long after the cruise ships have left port. It's not that I don't believe you saw a shop closing, it's just that there are a number of different shops on their premises. Which shop was closing up... the dive shop, the coffee shop, the activities center, the general store, the restaurant & wine cellar, the bar & grill, the pizzeria, or the resort's front desk itself?

As far as the transportation is concerned, are you sure you weren't just bumped back to the next shuttle? Once, my wife and I had a large group "steal" our shuttle time back to the port. As soon as I went to the front desk and complained, they had a cab take us back. We didn't have to pay for it. We already paid for the transportation... and they provided it. :cool:

• 1 month later...
Or 4 of you could do a private with Victor Bodden. It would only be $25 each and the driver would take care of your stuff and be with you all day. That seems much better in the long run than just getting a taxi on your on each way for $40 each way. Then you don't have any transportation or security for your stuff worries.

That's what we will do next spring.

We pre-book a private guide to drop us in West End where we shop for the Lencan pottery and grab a cigar at the excellent cigar bar, then take a water taxi (for the nice ride) over to West Bay and enjoy the day at the Thirsty Turtle. The driver meets us there and waits until we're ready to head back. Nice day for just $25pp (+ tip of course).