Diamond Drinks Trial?

Seems to me the drink coupons should eliminate a lot of the "I'm D/D+ but my cabinmate isn't, can they join me" issues...now if you are traveling with a non D/D+ member you can still take advantage of the free drinks without leaving your friend sitting outside....

To me that is the biggest plus to this. :)

We always have 2nd seating and these are a couple reasons we really like this idea; in addition to just having more options.

The CL tends to be really busy before early seating in the MDR, we would now tend to relax in a different bar and let the people with early seating enjoy the CL more. When our show is early, we could have a cocktail at the show.

People said the same thing when the diamond members benefits were reduced by eliminating concierge access. Apparently that nasty taste had no after taste. All of the changes seem to be met with negativity - briefly. It seems a new change is being tested. And it will possibly be tweaked.

Gina

Right But if you remember there was a huge out cry....And RCI eventually changed and revised its new policy....This is where the Diamond Event was born..............Wine and 25 % off cocktails for Diamond members in a dedicated lounge. There was a min of "after taste" because RCi made an effort.

Right But if you remember there was a huge out cry....And RCI eventually changed and revised its new policy....This is where the Diamond Event was born..............Wine and 25 % off cocktails for Diamond members in a dedicated lounge. There was a min of "after taste" because RCi made an effort.

And that is why I said it would possibly be tweaked. They do what it takes to make people happy again. Take away a big thing...then give a little something back. And all is good once again. :)

One other thing they gave to the D members after booting them from the CL - the Diamond breakfast. And that has gradually been eliminated again and no one seems to mind since they now have a DL. I personally miss the Diamond breakfast. I liked having a full hot breakfast with specialty coffee in the MDR. We had it last on Vision just prior to her dry dock. I'll be it's gone now that they CL and DL are installed. We'll find out soon, I'm sure.

Gina

........And that has gradually been eliminated again and no one seems to mind since they now have a DL. I personally miss the Diamond breakfast. I liked having a full hot breakfast with specialty coffee in the MDR. We had it last on Vision just prior to her dry dock. I'll be it's gone now that they CL and DL are installed. We'll find out soon, I'm sure.

Gina

Now, you have to walk to DL/CL before breakfast, get your specialty coffee from the machine than proceed aft to the MDR for breakfast, stand in waiting line for 10 minutes or so during peak hour (that's what happened to us the last 2 weeks on Splendour) and -have a nice breakfast with eggs and lukewarm specialty coffee from the paper cup .....

Err I think the main reason the negativity was brief, was the quick turnaround and introduction of the Diamond event, and the introduction of Diamond Lounges, which many people said would be too small too quickly.

This has proved to be correct, and the new trial policy is the next move on, which if successful may well result in the DLounge becoming the D+ Lounge, and the CL being returned to the Suite Guests.

Agree again

Many months ago I posted

CL for S and P, with DL for D+ , D's = 2/3 vouchers

And I got flamed;)

People said the same thing when the diamond members benefits were reduced by eliminating concierge access. Apparently that nasty taste had no after taste. All of the changes seem to be met with negativity - briefly. It seems a new change is being tested. And it will possibly be tweaked.

Gina

Remember though, a lot of us folks that were Diamond at the time(and not to far from D+) fixed RCI:rolleyes: by booking a lot a cruises to become D+.

Remember though, a lot of us folks that were Diamond at the time(and not to far from D+) fixed RCI:rolleyes: by booking a lot a cruises to become D+.

Oh how I remember. LOL You and others really showed them. And now you have gone and messed things up again with your access to not one but two lounges. You probably drink twice as much, too. ;)

They are probably upgrading their website to deal with all the Ds again showing them when they announce the permanence of the drink voucher system. You don't think the Ds will care again if they get their key to the DL taken away, do you? :eek:

Gina

Seems to me the drink coupons should eliminate a lot of the "I'm D/D+ but my cabinmate isn't, can they join me" issues...now if you are traveling with a non D/D+ member you can still take advantage of the free drinks without leaving your friend sitting outside....

I like this part too...especially since I am the friend that was sitting outside or in another bar drinking alone.:) But I would never begrudge my D+ friend the privileges that she has earned. Cruising as fast as I can to catch up.:D

If I can get some more friends "addicted to cruising" the shoe would be on the other foot.

Edited by DKNYC

Don't fail to consider that RCI is a for profit business.... That is their primary motivation. All changes in their policy is to that end............PROFIT.

Reducing crowds in the DL/CL is merely secondary to reducing expenditures or increasing profit. This new policy is ultimately a curtailment. Like it or not.

Don't fail to consider that RCI is a for profit business.... That is their primary motivation. All changes in their policy is to that end............PROFIT.

Reducing crowds in the DL/CL is merely secondary to reducing expenditures or increasing profit. This new policy is ultimately a curtailment. Like it or not.

I'm not so sure they will mess with a good thing. read this http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&id=1867874

Guest maddycat
Very interesting! Would be especially nice on ships that don't have a Diamond Lounge!

Yes, I agree. Then we might be allowed something other than the wine and soda that is served at the Diamond Event.

I think we will see this as a take a way from what we have now. Limiting you to 3 drinks during this 3 hour time period will become standard on all cruises in the future not just TA's. Sure you can still enjoy the amenities of the CL and Diamond lounge, but you will only get three drinks off your card. For some of us 3 drinks may seem like a lot, but those that want what we had before, this would be a negative.Time will tell.

I think we will see this as a take a way from what we have now. Limiting you to 3 drinks during this 3 hour time period will become standard on all cruises in the future not just TA's. Sure you can still enjoy the amenities of the CL and Diamond lounge, but you will only get three drinks off your card. For some of us 3 drinks may seem like a lot, but those that want what we had before, this would be a negative.Time will tell.

No not all of us...............the beginning of this thread is a bunch of cheerleaders saying how wonderful this new policy will be!!!

All slapping each other on the back....like they just won an election!

I agree with you...it is a take away no doubt.

EXACTLY, Gina! I got blasted on another thread because I advocate for adapting to changes rather than complaining about them. This is a trial right now, so it will be interesting to see the "final product".

Blasted? Hardly.

Originally Posted by Big_G viewpost.gif

Maybe it's just me but I think I would be a little offended if after expressing my disappointment with the direction of the cruise line someone told me to just adapt. I'm sure no offense was intended. :)

Please note the last sentence. Exaggerate much do you? Edited by Big_G

Just heard from someone who received this email from RCCL regarding the Diamond Lounge.

You asked – we listened! Often we hear great ideas from our Crown & Anchor Society members that we are able to bring into action.During your upcoming transatlantic voyage onboard the Independence of the Seas®, you will be part of a pilot test to enhance the Loyalty experience onboard.We understand at times the Diamond lounge can be crowded, so we are excited to introduce a new option for you aboard the Independence of the Seas: A nightly happy hour from 5:00 - 8:00pm to be enjoyed at almost every venue throughout the ship!*

How? Free drink vouchers will be pre-loaded onto your SeaPass® card to enable you to enjoy the flexibility of up to three complimentary beverages at almost every bar throughout the ship. You can still sit back and relax while enjoying all of the amenities in the Diamond Lounge, plus all of the other options available to you!We look forward to hearing your feedback about this new experience and wish you a wonderful cruise holiday.Happy sailing!

I like this!! We have 2 kids and most of the time we haven't been able to partake, but this would be a great option!! Any chance on Liberty for the New Year's sailing???!! :D

I don't see this as a cost cutting move by RCI at all. In fact I think that this would be considered an added benefit that will end up costing them more.

Currently the lounges get crowded and they use the overflow lounges however these can still get crowded and many will simply not attend just to get a free basic drink or if they do go they may only have one or two glasses of wine.

With every Diamond and above now getting 3 drinks per evening that they can get at any bar and enjoy anywhere I think that more Diamonds will take advantage of this and they will end up giving out a lot more free drinks in the long run.

I would be a good example of your point. I've never been able to get Captain Morgan in either the DL or CL so we rarely go to either. I'd rather pay for what I want. While I'm not advocating for the vouchers, they would benefit me.

I really cant be bothered to read all the speculation so is this 3 vouchers 3 drinks and that's it no drinks in diamond or cl lounges after you have used your vouchers set in stone and has some one actually got conformation that this is so not just speculation

I really cant be bothered to read all the speculation so is this 3 vouchers 3 drinks and that's it no drinks in diamond or cl lounges after you have used your vouchers set in stone and has some one actually got conformation that this is so not just speculation

I know the answer but "really can't be bothered" to give it to you.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

However, if you can be bothered enough to read post #36 you will get some of your answer.

Other than that, it is "set in stone" for the Nov. 2 Trans-Atlantic of the Independence. Other Trans-Atlantic cruises could receive notice prior to their sailing date but so far it appears that it is designed for the Independence crossing due to a large number of D, D+, and Ps on board. Once I board the Independence on the 2nd I will post information about what other specifics are involved.

Edited by beachnative

That still hasn't answered the question I Have no doubt the voucher trial is going ahead my question was when we have used our 3 vouchers can we not get drinks in the diamond/concierge lounges and has anyone actually had OFFICAL CONFORMATION OF THIS not hear say, rumours,or speculation

That still hasn't answered the question I Have no doubt the voucher trial is going ahead my question was when we have used our 3 vouchers can we not get drinks in the diamond/concierge lounges and has anyone actually had OFFICAL CONFORMATION OF THIS not hear say, rumours,or speculation

Answer - No