Help with our second land trip to Alaska

LarryF

Hello everyone,

DW and I cruised Alaska in May 2007 and did our own 8 day land trip after the cruise. We were in Seward for two nights, Cooper's Landing for one night, Chickaloon for one night, Talkeetna for one night and Denali for two nights. It was an incredible trip. We did another criuse there the next year and now we're ready to go back with our son (31) and daughter (28) for an 8 day land trip. We're looking at mid July for the trip.

While I'd love to do the same itinerary to show our kids, it would be a shame to not to see new places and things this time around. If I had one must do for the kids it would be Denali.

So, can anyone give me itinerary ideas for this trip? We'd like to do similar things we did on our first trip which included the Kenai Fjords tour, Sea Life Center, Exit Glacier, Portage Glacier, Animal Wildlife Conservation Center, Hatch Pass, Trekking Matanuska Glacier, rafting in Denali and shuttle to Tolkat. Also did the Native Heritage Center and Saturday market in Anchorage. Did a lot of exploring down gravel roads where we ran into bears and moose.:)

So many of you helped me plan the first trip and looking forward to your assistance again!:)

Thanks,

Larry

Are you planning/booking this all on your own? Renting a car to drive for the 8 days?

My mom and I cruised Alaska in 2009 and it has been her desire to return and do a land trip to the interior and we are finally making that happen this coming July.....five years later.

Let me say my mom is 85 and I am 61 so neither of us wanted to spend the week driving a rental car we wanted to be able to enjoy our time there.

It was not easy finding what we wanted, we knew what we did NOT want, we did not want to be on a bus for a week with a group of old farts! My mom is a very active 85 and we want to hike, kayak and see wildlife. I have booked our reservations and our tour includes all meals, all our activities and we could not be happier with our selection, they are highly rated on Trip Advisor.

I am now researching airfare from Orlando to Anchorange for the end of July, I see you are a local Floridan, not far from us here in Howey In The Hills, any tips on booking airfare?

I do not fly much and I am not sure if it is "safe" to book thru discount online agencies vs airlines direct, the online discount agencies (Priceline) are a few dollars less than the airlines direct.

Good luck with your travel plans.

Susan

Hello everyone,

DW and I cruised Alaska in May 2007 and did our own 8 day land trip after the cruise. We were in Seward for two nights, Cooper's Landing for one night, Chickaloon for one night, Talkeetna for one night and Denali for two nights. It was an incredible trip. We did another criuse there the next year and now we're ready to go back with our son (31) and daughter (28) for an 8 day land trip. We're looking at mid July for the trip.

While I'd love to do the same itinerary to show our kids, it would be a shame to not to see new places and things this time around. If I had one must do for the kids it would be Denali.

So, can anyone give me itinerary ideas for this trip? We'd like to do similar things we did on our first trip which included the Kenai Fjords tour, Sea Life Center, Exit Glacier, Portage Glacier, Animal Wildlife Conservation Center, Hatch Pass, Trekking Matanuska Glacier, rafting in Denali and shuttle to Tolkat. Also did the Native Heritage Center and Saturday market in Anchorage. Did a lot of exploring down gravel roads where we ran into bears and moose.:)

So many of you helped me plan the first trip and looking forward to your assistance again!:)

Thanks,

Larry

Your 'listings" of what you want for your next trip, really just about takes up 8 days. So work with what you have. Figure out what you want to do first- either Denali or Seward, then work your routing in order filling in the interested attractions/touring. Frankly-- why Toklat? Should be at least Eielson.

It is not clear if you are doing 8 days on land plus a cruise or just a land trp. If the former, I would ditch the cruise and do 15 days on land.

Not sure of your interests but 2 places that have not been mentioned are Kennicott in Wrangel Elias Natl. Park and Anan bear watching out of Wrangell. I have done both and they re great.

DON

DON

Archived