Going from Balcony cabin to Inside Cabin?

Djford75

I saw a show about a Disney boat and it appeared that interior cabins had a video porthole. I would love to see that become standard across the industry. Has anyone had one of those Disney interiors?

No. Are we supposed to stay in the cabin and watch it? Why should it become a standard for ships?

To each their own. I normally travel in a balcony cabin as well, but I am all about a bargain. Recently we had an "inside" 4J (actually had a window) and it was a handicapped cabin, HUGE. Now, due to the cost we are traveling in a regular inside. For me, it's all about the cost.

Though I have admittedly never had a balcony room, my wife and I usually spring for the interior. She loves to sleep in, and I love saving money. We are not the type to sit in the room anyway.

On the other hand, my parents would not cruise without a balcony because they spend a good bit of time in their room sitting on the balcony.

Our next cruise in January is a b2b, Breeze then Glory, 8 days then 7 days, both are on the Lido and both are interior. We've done deck 1 to the lido deck interior to balcony and even extended balcony in the rear of the ship. Save the money and go for the interior, a couple of extra bucks for Lido deck is worth it in my honest opinion!!! ENJOY!!!

Ask this again after Nov. 2nd. I always book balcony cabins as well. However, I will be sailing on the Fantasy next week which doesn't have balcony cabins except the suites. Okay, so window cabin it is for this cruise. I guess that would be okay.....Not so fast. Suddenly I found myself adding 2 others to my cabin, less than 2 weeks before sailing, mind you. :eek: I've never had more than 3 in my cabin before so this prospect alone has me leery. However, to make it worse, the cabin I booked is set up with only 1 murphy bed. The 4th bed comes in the form of a trundle. :eek:

So now I'm thinking 4 grown adults with 4 sets of luggage crammed into 1 cabin & only 1 bed we can use to try to stash our empty luggage under. :eek::eek: No, no, this just can't work. There were no OV cabins available that were set up differently. So wincing, I changed our cabin to an inside one that was set up with an upper & a lower berth.

Yes, we will still be crowded, but at least we won't be tripping over a trundle bed & will have a bit more space for storage. I do tend to spend a bit of time in my cabin when I have a balcony, but I just don't see it happening much on this next cruise. Ultimately, a cruise is what you make of it. So we just decided if nothing else, it will be an adventure. :cool:

Ask again after my return & will be sure to let you know how it turned out. :)

For us, hands down, we would not pay the extra for the balcony. We love balcony cabins, but get always chose inside unless the price difference is minimal. We tour the TV to the view from the front if the ship then, as the sun rises, the TV screen lightens up!

Great idea! Thanks, I will definitely do that next week.

What is so exciting about breakfast on a balcony? Seems to me it would get cold rather quickly.

Oh, yes, breakfast on the balcony, gotta have it! Actually, room service doesn't have hot food options for breakfast, coffee & tea, yes, but not food. We usually have a light breakfast on the balcony & then go to the MDR so my son can have his eggs benedict & I can have my omelette. :) Breakfast on the balcony is just such a pleasant way to begin the day. :)

To each their own. I normally travel in a balcony cabin as well, but I am all about a bargain. Recently we had an "inside" 4J (actually had a window) and it was a handicapped cabin, HUGE. Now, due to the cost we are traveling in a regular inside. For me, it's all about the cost.

Wow, that sounds great. What room on what ship was that?

Hard working husband always loved his afternoon nap on a cruise while I enjoyed sitting outside on our balcony and having a good read. Always have used the balcony a great deal from early morning till late evening.

Won't say I wouldn't give up the balcony, but it would be hard.

I have stayed in cabins from inside to suite. Each of the three times we had insides, it was on the Lido deck and we loved, walking out of the room, to buffet, grill, pool and movie screen. It is dark and we slept late on sea days with no light coming in, but you could set an alarm clock if it bothers you.

We loved our suite on NCL and are doing an inside on the Breeze in May and taking that money we save to book a suite for Alaska in September. It just depends on what is important to you.

I would love to do a B2B and for me, staying in an inside cabin would be well worth it.

have only had 1 oceanview in all the cruises I have taken. The rest have been insides. Thought oceanviews were cruel. No access to outside and the window allows just enough light in to make the inside cave feel a little less cave like

One of these days I would like to try a balcony, but being a solo traveller who prefers B2Bs or long cruises I think balconies will be just a bucket list dream for me right now

Always have used the balcony a great deal from early morning till late evening.

Won't say I wouldn't give up the balcony, but it would be hard.

I'm with you on that one. Once you start with a balcony, it's hard to walk away. However, if I had the time for a B2B, may think differently although I am claustrophobic:eek:

We go from inside to ov to balcony depending upon price.

Rather do more cruises each year and pay less than just stick with balcony.

Balcony is not a necessity.

When we have an inside we leave the light on in the bathroom which acts as a nightlite.

I saw a show about a Disney boat and it appeared that interior cabins had a video porthole. I would love to see that become standard across the industry. Has anyone had one of those Disney interiors?

I have sailed in one on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean Itinerary on Disney Fantasy. They are like being in an ocean view room. But cost of inside. Disney animations creep, jump and sail by the virtual porthole when you least expect them ,so much fun.

:D

We have B2B booked on the Dream at Christmas.

Inside cabin, lowest deck, midship. Best ride on the entire ship for the lowest price.

We only use stairs. We like getting our exercise running up the stairs.

Two weeks are better than one, no matter what room. Save the money.

I usually stay in OV or interior but tried balcony last cruise and loved it, but I would definitely do interior if doing a B2B and saving money. I don't like pitch black and always keep bathroom light on with the door opened just a crack to allow a small stream of light. For my last interior, I brought those small battery operated tea lights which worked out great too. I put one on the desk and it gave off a nice warm dim glow in the cabin at night. Since I travel on a budget, I may be booking another interior for an upcoming cruise on an 8 day southern (Aruba itinerary) as the balcony cabins are just too expensive for me).

I have only had a balcony one time. Every other time has been in an inside, porthole, or ocean view. My husband and I have decided from now on, if we do a short cruise 5 days or less we are willing to have an inside room. If it's longer we will at least need a window, but a balcony would be nice. We try to aim for at least a porthole if it's available though. The one time we had an inside room was a last minute cruise. We ended up sleeping so much more because it was so dark! We did figure out it helped to turn the TV on to the channel that shows the decks. Then you have a fake window that tells you if the sun has risen or not.

We always used balcony. Once dh retired, money was more important than a view from a balcony. We've done interior 3 times now, and it's fine. Got some good ideas from this thread, little tea light on the desk, tuning to the forward view on the tv with no volume, gotta look for the J cabin with the walkway. I remembered to pack a night light for my upcoming cruise, but outlets are a premium, not sure if I want to bring an extension cord, have brought a multi outlet thing-a-majig last time and that helped with charging iPad and phone.

I say if I can cruise more by saving money on interior I will do it!!

We've always had balconies as well but on our upcoming Freedom cruise, I have booked a 4J. With the Canadian resident discount, our price was half what we normally pay for a balcony. After reading so many good things about this type of cabin, I'm really looking forward to it.

If sailing with an inside cabin will allow you another week on the ship, then I'd say go for it. Not sure what ship you are on but maybe you should check out the 4J's , or if you're on a spirit class ship I think the 4K's are inside with a french door that can be opened for fresh air. ;)

Archived