Pass Ports

bashfull1

We are going on a cruise I really don't want to buy a pass port for our family this will most likely be our last cruise.I rather have the money spent on the trip how many do not have a pass port we are going to Grand Cayman and Cozmel ty:cool:

Is everybody in your traveling party a US citizen?

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Check details at www.getyouhome.gov

We are going on a cruise I really don't want to buy a pass port for our family this will most likely be our last cruise.I rather have the money spent on the trip how many do not have a pass port we are going to Grand Cayman and Cozmel ty:cool:

If your cruise begins and ends in the same port (closed loop) you can travel with a "certified" birth certificate (not a hospital copy) and a picture ID (i.e. drivers license, school ID). I believe if your children are younger than 16 i don't think you have to have the picture ID............but please verify this!!!!

Hope this helps.....

If your cruise begins and ends in the same port (closed loop) you can travel with a "certified" birth certificate (not a hospital copy) and a picture ID (i.e. drivers license, school ID). I believe if your children are younger than 16 i don't think you have to have the picture ID............but please verify this!!!!

Hope this helps.....

What GTO Girl says is essentially correct but with one correction---the cruise must start and end in the same US port in order to not need a passport.

While a passport is recommended there are less costly alternatives and as mentioned if you are a US Citizen traveling from a US port and back to the same port then you may use your government issued birth certificate and government issued photo ID (Under 16 year olds only need the birth certificate). For many people this is a low risk option, but you must analyze your own individual risk for yourself. If you miss the ship or if you have to fly back because something has happened at home then you will need to fly back which could result in a delay and extra costs (how much of a delay is dependent on many factors, including whether a US Consulate is available in the ports you are traveling to and how long it would take for a travel document to be issued).

As with so much in life, it comes down to how risk-adverse you are. A passport is fairly low-cost "insurance" against an extremely unlikely but extremely expensive and highly inconvenient event (having to end your cruise prematurely and fly back to the U.S., and needing the passport to regain admittance to his country). Having a passport would make your return much easier than not having one. That said, if you are comfortable accepting this risk, then go ahead and refrain from getting passports. The choice is yours.

Archived