Refund for no show question

Rudyard

Our cruise is coming up shortly (Single digits tomorrow!) and we just found out one of our party can't make it. His boss, who gave him the time off suddenly decided they can't spare him for the week. We're hoping that with ten days left something will happen to allow him to make it, but we're not optimistic.

My question is this. There are four of us in two cabins. We know the other person in his cabin is out the fare and he's prepared to eat that. I know he'll be refunded taxes and port fees. Based on what we've read here we're just going to show up at the port and say he's working that morning and will be joining us sometime before we sail.

I paid for an excursion for all four of us. Will that be refunded to the onboard account for his cabin, or to my credit card or onboard account since I paid? Also, any idea how long it will take?

This just happened to us in Sept. One lady had heart problems the day before and decided not to go. To avoid the other person bing charged the full cabin price, she decided to do a no-show. All of us had insurance and the no-show has filed paperwork to get her money back.

There were 4 of us, one room on floor 8, one room on floor 2. When we got on-board, we immediately went to guest services and discussed the issue of being together. Carnival was gracious to move our room to floor 2, 2 doors down from the other with a room that slept 3. So we had 2 rooms on floor 2, we used both to get ready and shower, and we got a $50 credit because it was considered a down grade.

About your excursion, I would tell guest services and they may be able to refund you while onboard. I'm not sure how shore excursion cancellations work but it's worth a try.

Thanks for the responses. We did book early saver, so putting someone else in the cabin is out. Even if we could, I doubt anyone we know could go on short notice.

I'm mainly curious about a refund for the excursion. I'm thinking we'll get one, just not sure when or how. I'll probably ask at Guest Services after our "no show" fails to make it to the port on time.

They will refund the shore excursion. Just go to the desk right away and tell them they could not make the cruise. We have gotten refunds on the morning of, when my husband who is diabetic could not go! Just ask!!

Thanks for the responses. We did book early saver, so putting someone else in the cabin is out. Even if we could, I doubt anyone we know could go on short notice.

I'm mainly curious about a refund for the excursion. I'm thinking we'll get one, just not sure when or how. I'll probably ask at Guest Services after our "no show" fails to make it to the port on time.

Go to the shore excursion desk onboard and ask to refund one passenger.

No need to lie about the no-show at the port when you embark. Just tell them they are not coming at the port when you check in. I've done this before and it worked out fine. Just do not call Carnival in advance to cancel the one who is not going or the one that does go could be charged a solo supplement in addition to losing the fare for the one not going.

Just cancel the excursion for that person now. They will refund 100% to the credit card used to purchase it. You have until the cutoff window to cancel for a full refund. Last I checked, the cutoff window was 24 hours prior to sailing. We have cancelled excursions prior to sailing before, and it showed up about a week later. If you wait until you get on board the ship, I'm not sure how it will work. Normally, there is a 25% cancellation penalty once on board for shore excursions. If you do a no-show, they may charge that penalty on board. I'm not sure on that, but it would seem that they would. I would cancel the excursion before sailing (more than 24 hours before sailing) just to make sure.

I don't need the money from the excursion for this trip so we'll probably give him until Saturday to see if he can talk his boss into giving him the time off before I cancel it. It was around $80 so I'd hate to lose 25%. Thanks again for the responses everyone :)

What a crappy boss to cancel a vacation for the employee last minute.. He should refund the guys vacation himself..

That's what I would expect...100% reimbursement for loses.

Edited by halos

When I went on the Pride in April, my mom and I cancelled our excursion, due to my mom not being able to do the steps down to the boat...We went to guest services and they cancelled and refunded the money immediately, right to my S&S card. Did this the day before the excursion.

• 2 months later...
What a crappy boss to cancel a vacation for the employee last minute.. He should refund the guys vacation himself..

I quit my job over a boss doing a similar thing. I know they wouldn't cancel their own trip. Anyway...rant over.

I just want to double check about this. The person that was going with me on the Magic on Jan19th is no longer going. We booked early saver. I am still going. What is the best way to do this? Just have them be a no show?

Thanks

Need more information. Is it something that would be covered with insurance? Is the person leaving his/her paid fare in place? If not, you'll have to pay another fare.

I just want to double check about this. The person that was going with me on the Magic on Jan19th is no longer going. We booked early saver. I am still going. What is the best way to do this? Just have them be a no show?

Thanks

Just let them no show. If you notify them in advance it gets very messy, especially with ES. You still have time for another person and a name change though. Used to be $50 charge for that, recently someone said they stopped that charge so I'm not sure.

Need more information. Is it something that would be covered with insurance? Is the person leaving his/her paid fare in place? If not, you'll have to pay another fare.

No this would not be covered by insurance. Long story short the relationship has ended. And this is not a good way to start the new year or celebrate my birthday:rolleyes:

Just let them no show. If you notify them in advance it gets very messy, especially with ES. You still have time for another person and a name change though. Used to be $50 charge for that, recently someone said they stopped that charge so I'm not sure.

I didn't think you could do a name change on an early saver fare. And see above for I think it might be better to have the cabin to myself, and I am traveling with friends and family.

I wouldn't quit my job inless I had something else lined up

That's great for you. I was tired of working for someone who paid under minimum wage (not to me to other employees. I was the GM of his hotel). Add that to multiple paychecks bouncing (every payday) and a 4 day notice I had to cancel my approved vacation planned 6 months ago and I was done.

Excursion booked through Carnival is easily cancelled - just go to the desk when it opens on board

The person who can't sail cause of boss should cancel so they get their port fees and taxes back - this assumes they have paid their own way in full

What is the benefit to their cabin mate to have them no show? They will not charge them any more $$

there is still time to "sell" the cruise to an (acceptable) friend/replacement person...for a $50 name change - unless it was booked early saver?

maybe the cabin mate has a friend or relative who would snap this up, thus the person who can't sail recoups some $$$

~~~~in case of postal girl - I have seen this happen before with people who are dating, it is awkward

early saver doesn't allow for the name changes

I know it sounds "cold" but the realistic fact IMHO is that early saver works best for families, and married people and for people with really stable jobs or retired or who can take off and work for themselves. IF there is any reason at all that you might have to change an early saver or someone will cancel I would go with regular fares that offer more flexible terms JMO

No this would not be covered by insurance. Long story short the relationship has ended. And this is not a good way to start the new year or celebrate my birthday:rolleyes:

I didn't think you could do a name change on an early saver fare. And see above for I think it might be better to have the cabin to myself, and I am traveling with friends and family.

Right now that's how you see it. Think of it this way, a new year, a new start. a first birthday free of what wasn't meant to be. Time will take care of it.

That's great for you. I was tired of working for someone who paid under minimum wage (not to me to other employees. I was the GM of his hotel). Add that to multiple paychecks bouncing (every payday) and a 4 day notice I had to cancel my approved vacation planned 6 months ago and I was done.

Glad that you had that option. :D

Port fees and taxes will be refunded regardless of whether one no shows or cancels so it is best to let a person not going " no show ". I have read on CC many times that Carnival will indeed charge the solo supplement when someone cancels within full penalty period. Every time Carnival is contacted is like a throw of the dice, you never know what may happen!

Edited by n6uqqq

Excursion booked through Carnival is easily cancelled - just go to the desk when it opens on board

The person who can't sail cause of boss should cancel so they get their port fees and taxes back - this assumes they have paid their own way in full

What is the benefit to their cabin mate to have them no show? They will not charge them any more $$

there is still time to "sell" the cruise to an (acceptable) friend/replacement person...for a $50 name change - unless it was booked early saver?

maybe the cabin mate has a friend or relative who would snap this up, thus the person who can't sail recoups some $$$

~~~~in case of postal girl - I have seen this happen before with people who are dating, it is awkward

early saver doesn't allow for the name changes

I know it sounds "cold" but the realistic fact IMHO is that early saver works best for families, and married people and for people with really stable jobs or retired or who can take off and work for themselves. IF there is any reason at all that you might have to change an early saver or someone will cancel I would go with regular fares that offer more flexible terms JMO

A few people have claimed that when they canceled someone last minute they were charged the single supplement and have been advised in the future to just be a no-show.