Excursions!

jcmccarthy

I book private most if the time unless what I want is only through the cruise line. It is usually a lot cheaper for the same thing

Ditto. Cruise Lines pretty much always (there are few rare exceptions) add their cut to the prices even if the tour is operated by the same local company. Also we've found that with private tours we sometimes can beat the rush caused by larger groups on cruise line excursions and in many cases also get more beach time etc on excursions like that.

Help! What is everyone's opinion on booking excursions? Should we pre book or wait til onboard? Should we book with NCL or another company? We are on the breakaway to the Bahamas the first week in December!

I research the ports we are visiting and sometimes book private excursions. Sometimes, we do it ourselves and sometimes we book the ship's tours.

Don't wait until you are on board, since excursions can fill up.

We've never once booked an excursion through the cruise line. I don't like feeling like I'm in a herd of cattle &/or crowded. We've had nothing but wonderful independent excursions that have been researched on TripAdvisor or here on the ports of call boards. We've even shared excursions with people on our roll calls.

I agree with what others have told you about the advantages of booking privately, yet I understand that many prefer the feeling of security in sticking to ship's excursions on their first couple of cruises. That's how we were early on.

These days, we book a mix of private and ship's excursions--and appreciate the advantages of both. Either kind can range from great to so-so.

In spite of careful research on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, we did get burned once with a highly rated private operator that is now no longer in business. Some degree of caution is warrranted!

If you decide on ship's excursions, absolutely do book online as far in advance as possible. The better ones sell out--and fast!

In some cases, the cruise line grabs the best times with a local vendor.

We're in the process of booking private tours (Hawaii) for some of the full days in port. But on one, we wanted to do some specific activities, and the only provider offered "non-cruise related" times that just didn't work.

And in these cases, the capacity was limited, so there would have been the same number of people participating either way - except for very early, maybe, but we didn't want to be worrying about whether we'd make it in time anyway.

It did cost $10 more pp to book the same activity through NCL, which was annoying. (We assume NCL gets a lower rate to start with, which may or may not be accurate.)

But it was the best way we could fit both activities in the same day.

Also, we especially want to book longer private tours (vs. specific activities), so that we can go where WE want to go, and stay as long as WE want to stay. Don't care for the shopping stop? We don't have to wait while others are wandering around, and we can use that time for things we do want to see.

GeezerCouple

I do my research mostly on port of call on this site or tripadvisor . Depending what port we are at , I prefer to book with cruiseline.

Keep in mind if your excursion runs late, the chance the ship will wait for you will depend on where you have booked your excursion . Two years ago we were in Grand Cayman took the stingray excursion on the sand bank. the tour boat broke down we were stuck and add to wait for another boat to return to shore, the tour operator made a phone call to the ship (The Pearl) and the Captain waited for us we were 45 minutes late . We had booked with the cruise ship . Private tour operator don't have this perk

I would never book private. Too much of a risk. If there is any kind of delay/incident with the private tour, the ship will not wait for you. A few bucks less is not worth that kind of stress for us. I like to pre-book my excursions ahead of time, not just because they fill up but simply because it's easier to have the tickets in your cabin as you arrive and not have to worry about waiting in line at the shore ex desk once onboard and fill in papers and stuff. I try to keep most of my onboard time for fun , so I like getting the planning part out of the way as much as possible beforehand. I also like to keep my OBC for little souvenirs, drinks, etc. The OB bill doesn't look that bad when it doesn't include the tours! I have changed plans occasionally though and cancelled or added excursions on board and never had a problem with that either (I should add that I've always been happy with the organization and quality of the ship excursions- regardless of cruise line- and also one day, I hurt myself during an excursion and had to be taken to the hospital and thank god it was a ship excursion, otherwise the ship would have left without me for sure as the delay was significant!!)

I would never book private. Too much of a risk. If there is any kind of delay/incident with the private tour, the ship will not wait for you. A few bucks less is not worth that kind of stress for us.

I hurt myself during an excursion and had to be taken to the hospital and thank god it was a ship excursion, otherwise the ship would have left without me for sure as the delay was significant!!)

This has been discussed many times over (even very recently). The independent tour operators are so very dependent of the cruise ship passengers that they do know that if they do mess up, their reputation is gone in a heart beat and so is their business.

Breakdowns do happen and being on a ship sponsored excursion is not a guarantee that ship is not forced to leave the port at the specified for example because of the tides - granted that they will have you back on board or disembarkation port one way or another. There are always risks when you leave home (and even if you don't) and it's always customers responsibility to make their own risk assessment, some choose to pay more for the marginal peace of mind, some don't.

Also, there are multiple reports of people in hospitals during a port visit having been left behind, no matter what the reason for the hospitalization - if the captain and ship's doctor think that passenger can be safely taken back onboard and they are able to wait, the captain can choose to do that - but as said before, it is not always possible.

Help! What is everyone's opinion on booking excursions? Should we pre book or wait til onboard? Should we book with NCL or another company? We are on the breakaway to the Bahamas the first week in December!

So far I've stuck with ships excursions for organized activities. It's just less stress for me and it's my vacation so no stress wanted. Although we often explore some ports on our own.

If there is any excursion that you have your heart set on, book it in advance. Some may sell out and not be available onboard.

Whichever way you go, have a great trip!!

We do both private and ship's tours.

I have organized tours myself and largely they work out well. However, sometimes people cancel and that adds more cost to the remaining on the tour. Also, I find that tipping adds more with private tours and if I organize the tour, I always pay more than a share.

Further, some tours require you to pay in advance and if you are tendering and don't make it into the port, you don't get a refund.

Private tours are usually with smaller groups, which is good, but I really don't mind the bus tour, if they are good. If you have a long day that requires a lot of driving from the port, a ship's tour gives you the reassurance that if you are late, the ship won't leave you.

This has been discussed many times over (even very recently). The independent tour operators are so very dependent of the cruise ship passengers that they do know that if they do mess up, their reputation is gone in a heart beat and so is their business.

Breakdowns do happen and being on a ship sponsored excursion is not a guarantee that ship is not forced to leave the port at the specified for example because of the tides - granted that they will have you back on board or disembarkation port one way or another. There are always risks when you leave home (and even if you don't) and it's always customers responsibility to make their own risk assessment, some choose to pay more for the marginal peace of mind, some don't.

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with that. When I book though the ship, they commit to not leave before the excursion gets back and in my experience ( 15+ excursions during 6 cruises with different lines), it has never failed to be true. I have never seen a single occurrence (involving me or other people) of a ship leaving port and abandoning an entire group of their own excursions behind. I have however seen people doing activities by themselves and missing the ship afterwards. Several times. That's a risk that I am categorically not willing to take. Private tours may care about their reputation but that is not a guarantee. The ship gives me a guarantee when I book through them and I'll take their word rather than yours, sorry. (And I happen to be someone who did have a mishap once, so I know for a fact that because I booked through the ship, they would never have left me behind. I had 2 ncl representatives to assure me of that and they sure kept their word ).

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with that. When I book though the ship, they commit to not leave before the excursion gets back and in my experience ( 15+ excursions during 6 cruises with different lines), it has never failed to be true. I have never seen a single occurrence (involving me or other people) of a ship leaving port and abandoning an entire group of their own excursions behind. I have however seen people doing activities by themselves and missing the ship afterwards. Several times. That's a risk that I am categorically not willing to take. Private tours may care about their reputation but that is not a guarantee. The ship gives me a guarantee when I book through them and I'll take their word rather than yours, sorry. (And I happen to be someone who did have a mishap once, so I know for a fact that because I booked through the ship, they would never have left me behind. I had 2 ncl representatives to assure me of that and they sure kept their word ).

But that is not always the case - there are plenty of posts here on CC that tell a different story. In most cases, that's true, but it's not always possible. Tides can cause a ship to not be able to get out of the port. There are also huge financial penalties for the ship staying later than scheduled. They do say they will get you to the next port though (but if you're traveling without a passport, you may be SOL).

Most reputable private companies will work together and help each other out. We always plan our excursions to arrive back to the port area with plenty of time and have never had a problem.

Let me phrase this differently. When I book through ncl, ncl takes full responsibility for getting me back on board one way or the other. I'd rather it be their responsibility than mine ;) (nothing against private companies, I'm sure they're very good and I'm not trying to undermine their business. Just stating why personally, I'd rather use ship sponsored- unless we're talking of something very short: a one hour tour for instance).

But that is not always the case - there are plenty of posts here on CC that tell a different story. In most cases, that's true, but it's not always possible. Tides can cause a ship to not be able to get out of the port. There are also huge financial penalties for the ship staying later than scheduled. They do say they will get you to the next port though (but if you're traveling without a passport, you may be SOL).

Most reputable private companies will work together and help each other out. We always plan our excursions to arrive back to the port area with plenty of time and have never had a problem.

Carmen, I have read on cc posts from people that missed the boat because their private tour was late, but never have I read that a ship's tour was late and the ship left them.

If the ship did leave passengers on a private tour, after promising not to do so, I would expect the cruise line to reimburse me for my expenses in getting back to the ship. If the cruise line didn't reimburse me, I would probably sue the cruise line.

Carmen, I have read on cc posts from people that missed the boat because their private tour was late, but never have I read that a ship's tour was late and the ship left them.

If the ship did leave passengers on a private tour, after promising not to do so, I would expect the cruise line to reimburse me for my expenses in getting back to the ship. If the cruise line didn't reimburse me, I would probably sue the cruise line.

It does happen, mainly in Europe. If it does happen, you contact the cruise line's agent (they have one in every port - listed on those inserts in the dailies) & they will help you coordinate. And if you are on a ship's excursion I believe they reimburse you. But that is very different from saying "they ALWAYS hold the ship" because that isn't always possible.

I remember the time and X ship was in SA and a non-ship excursion had an accident and I think the ship did wait but there were deaths on that one. The cruise agent helped families make arrangements, etc. But in the Caribbean, which is what the OP was talking about, if you go with a reputable company, the risk is incredibly low. Not non-existent, but very low.

Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one with that logic! (I would also never use that cruise line again if they did that to me!! I doubt any reputable cruise line would fool around with that commitment though. Imagine: on a ship-sponsored tour, we're talking about dozens or sometimes a hundred + people from the ship, not just 3 or 4. You realize the counter-publicity and outrage it would mean for them? Can't see it happening...)

It depends on the cost and how long the tour is. Typically we do private since they are often smaller groups or private and a lot cheaper. When it is an all day thing I worry about missing the ship so other it is worth booking private. A Tulum tour from Cozumel I was on returned late and I was very happy it was a cruise line excursion since the ship was still there. we are doing a tour next month and the cruise line is the same price (or cheaper when I consider conversion fees since it will be in euros) so that is a no brainer. Peace of mind and it saves me money so with the cruise ship I go!

Please give an example of then that has ever happened with a ship's excursion on a Caribbean cruise.

LuLu

~~~~

Please give an example of then that has ever happened with a ship's excursion on a Caribbean cruise.

LuLu

~~~~

I already said it's mostly in Europe when this happens. And the search feature on this sight is quite lacking, but in the years I've been on here I'm sure I've read of a couple in the Caribbean but many more n Europe. I will also add, that I don't know what lines it's been on. We've sailed several so I've been on most of the mainstream US lines.

We also book with the cruiseline. I once did book one tour privately, and it turned out their website was outdated and the tour no longer existed (yes, a reputable operator, money was refunded quickly and it wasn't a problem for us.).

We've never had a problem with ship excursions. In fact, last year we sailed on Carnival Glory when they first ported out of Boston. It was NOT a good week for weather! Coastal New England had a Nor'easter which caused some damage and the Glory was caught in fog causing us to wait at Boston until it arrived at 10 PM! We couldn't leave from Boston until the next day, which messed up the port days, causing us to do Portland, ME and Saint John NB the days after we were supposed to. For us, no problem - we booked though Carnival! When we got off in Saint John, our excursion bus was waiting and we had a delightful tour which ended 15 minutes before we sailed (the port time was shortened because of congestion. After all, we were supposed to get there the day before). Again, no problem, we trotted on to the waiting ship, and sailed away.

For us, the extra cost of booking through the ship is worth it in the long run.

Archived