QM2 Hall of Fame military faux-pas!

Slow Foxtrot

Looking at the famous photographs of past celebrity passengers which adorn the corridor adjacent to the Planetarium on QM2 I was amazed to see a photograph of Field Marshall Montgomery (as was) with his beret on the wrong side of his head! As 'Monty' was Colonel in Chief of our regiment in his later years this seemed like a personal affront! Perhaps camera buffs could tell us if this reversal may have occurred in the processing of the original image? I had walked past this large photograph (with appropriate salute) many times before but had never noticed this until it was pointed out to me by Major General Holland who was on the QM2 last month.

Correct and incorrect photos attached:

429237106_QM2HallofFame.BillwithMonty!.jpg.626f8e3bd379e27e28a75cc687b0e67b.jpg

bernard-montgomery-560x381.jpg.5e36fa124f55fef77dc0d1a30628d318.jpg

Looking at the famous photographs of past celebrity passengers which adorn the corridor adjacent to the Planetarium on QM2 I was amazed to see a photograph of Field Marshall Montgomery (as was) with his beret on the wrong side of his head! As 'Monty' was Colonel in Chief of our regiment in his later years this seemed like a personal affront! Perhaps camera buffs could tell us if this reversal may have occurred in the processing of the original image?

And he is wearing a girl's coat...

Obviously the image was mirrored.

Looks to me like the General's error. Unless I'm misreading the photo, the sign in the picture doesn't seem to be reading backwards.

Roy

Oh dear! The sign in the picture is a description of the photograph and this was added by Cunard. It's not part of the original!! Just look at the other photo to see the correct position of the beret.

Methinks you owe the good General an apology :)

Looking at the famous photographs of past celebrity passengers which adorn the corridor adjacent to the Planetarium on QM2 I was amazed to see a photograph of Field Marshall Montgomery (as was) with his beret on the wrong side of his head! As 'Monty' was Colonel in Chief of our regiment in his later years this seemed like a personal affront! Perhaps camera buffs could tell us if this reversal may have occurred in the processing of the original image? I had walked past this large photograph (with appropriate salute) many times before but had never noticed this until it was pointed out to me by Major General Holland who was on the QM2 last month. ...

I agree that the image has been reversed. In the days of film photography, it was fairly easy to reverse an image by mistake. If the film negative was placed upside down in the photographic enlarger (emulsion side up instead of emulsion side down), the result would be a reversal of the image in the finished photo.

Regards,

John.

Archived