Best place to snorkel in Roatan?

mickev99

Hi all! Heading to the Western Caribbean on NCL Jewel in December, and Roatan is the only place that I have left to book an excursion. We will have a large group (adults and kids from ages 9-16). All want to snorkel, some want to zipline in addition to snorkeling.

Where is the best place to snorkel? I have heard about West Bay and the Underwater Museum reef...which is better or do you have another recommendation?

Ziplining and snorkeling combo- suggestions on places, companies that do a great job, etc. My 9 and 11 year olds want to zip line (at least they think they do, they have never been...I'm kind of afraid they will get up there and freak out....or maybe I'm just thinking that because that's my fear, LOL).

Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations!!!

I highly recommend going to Maya Key if you are looking for out of this world snorkeling. It's an island and they only way you can book it now is by using your cruise line (but it's well worth it). They have animals there on the island and you can hold a monkey too. There's a beach and also a pool. Lunch is included. The also have a Mayan Ruins area which is neat. But the snorkeling there is simply AMAZING. You walk down the wooden pier and go down the ladder and you are there. You can follow the path and it takes you out to the big blue deep drop off with no end. Beautiful. I have a complete review listed in my signature line with TONS of pictures if you are interested in reading it or just checking out the pictures. Sorry, there is no zip lining there though.

I went back to your previous review and looked at all the pictures. Originally, I couldn't figure out where Maya Key might be. Then realized we had been there when it was called Fins & Flippers.

A wonderful spot!

Probably 30 years ago, we flew in to vacation at Anthony's Cay Resort in Roatan. A place reknown for scuba-diving. Only 2 flights per week then. And they had lost our luggage before we got to Central America. Clothes not a problem, but lots of scuba and camera gear left behind. Pilot had to buzz the runway before landing, to get all the ducks and animals away from the runway.

Archived