Disembarkation of Zuiderdam

hoosiergirl34787

I'm trying to decide on flights when I return from my Alaska cruise next year on the Zuiderdam. Our cruise leaves and returns from Vancouver. I'm hoping someone can help me with a few logistics questions.

Does Holland have self assist disembarkation where you can carry off your own luggage?

Can you get special luggage tags to be one of the first people off this ship so you can catch an early flight?

How far is the airport from Canada Place?

Yes, Holland America does do self-disembarkation; expect it to start about 7:30---barring a problem with clearing the ship.

Figure about an hour to leave the ship, find a taxi, and get to the airport. Then, you must clear both airport security, and US Immigration and Customs (assuming you are heading to the US). The US clearance can take a long time, depending on the length of the line. If you are very early it won't be as bad as if you come later, but clearing both does take a while.

Personally, I wouldn't book a flight before noon, but then I'm not a gambler.

If your time allows, when you return to Vancouver I would suggest you stay an extra day there. We did it this way this past Spring and loved it. We treated it as our last shore excursion. Had a nice, leisurely breakfast on board ship before we debarked and had the whole day to explore the beautiful city, without the aggravation of having to rush to the airport. Well worth it.

The airport is about a half hour drive if traffic conditions are good.

Last time we stayed overnight in Vancouver which takes away the urgency but if that is not possible I would not book before noon. There can be delays with disembarkation and it is a very busy airport.

Related question for Vancouver- Does HAL still offer a bus to Seatac from Vancouver at disembark? If so, what time does it leave Canada Place and the approximate cost?

Yes they do, it leaves anywhere from 8 to 9 am depending on how fast passengers get on the bus. I believe our cost for this year was around $60. per person. Certainly saves a lot of money, airfare out of Vancouver is ridiculous. Much cheaper to fly out of Seattle.

Yes they do, it leaves anywhere from 8 to 9 am depending on how fast passengers get on the bus. I believe our cost for this year was around $60. per person. Certainly saves a lot of money, airfare out of Vancouver is ridiculous. Much cheaper to fly out of Seattle.

WE live near Seattle- our car will be at Seatac :)

Thanks!

Yes, Holland America does do self-disembarkation; expect it to start about 7:30---barring a problem with clearing the ship.

Figure about an hour to leave the ship, find a taxi, and get to the airport. Then, you must clear both airport security, and US Immigration and Customs (assuming you are heading to the US). The US clearance can take a long time, depending on the length of the line. If you are very early it won't be as bad as if you come later, but clearing both does take a while.

Personally, I wouldn't book a flight before noon, but then I'm not a gambler.

Thanks, for the information. My husband and I are actually staying for two days post cruise, but my parents are returning home. I was thinking of telling them a noon flight or later, so this is perfect. Any suggestions of things to do while we are in Vancouver. We were thinking about hitting Grouse Mountain and Capiliano Suspension Park if the weather cooperates.

Archived