any change to beds on-board?

Modern_Viking

I have not cruised Princess but am somewhat interested in trying them. That said, I sleep poorly (or not at all) on firm beds. Since I have heard the beds on Princess ships are rock hard, with only sometimes the ability to get a thin egg crate, I have avoided them.

Any word on Princess changing to softer mattresses such as the pillow-top variety?

Thanks!

I have not cruised Princess but am somewhat interested in trying them. That said, I sleep poorly (or not at all) on firm beds. Since I have heard the beds on Princess ships are rock hard, with only sometimes the ability to get a thin egg crate, I have avoided them.

Any word on Princess changing to softer mattresses such as the pillow-top variety?

Thanks!

Pillow top mattress on the Royal and Golden. I also understand all the Princess ships are either changed or will be soon!

If you are in a suite or mini-suite you will likely have a premium mattress. Other category cabins are getting premium mattresses, but they seem to be replaced as needed. Some people report they've had them and some have not. It's hit or miss. The new mattresses are very comfortable...and this comes from someone who can't sleep on a firm mattress. Can't wait until all mattresses are replaced.

We too have been plagued with the hard beds to the extent that obtaining a decent sleep was increasingly more difficult during the cruise. Our solution was to bring our own 2 inch memory foam mattress with us. Yes, it's large but it shrinks to almost nothing in a "space bag". The king size will reduce to an airline carry-on. On our last cruise I put it in my main luggage and still had enough room for everything else. Admittedly, with complimentary laundry the amount of clothes needed is less.

I've spoken about this before and generally the question arises as to the details on disembarkation day. Since the boutiques sell space bags Princess is aware of the details of removing the air. Just ask you cabin steward if she/he will suck the air out for you. They have always been very accommodating.

ACK, now I'm scared.:eek: We've cruised mostly on HAL which has great beds. Between the motion of the ship and the beds... nirvana.

ANYWAY - I heard that Grand Princess got new mattresses for the Aloha Deck recently. Does anyone know about the condition of mattresses on Dolphin Deck... especially up front?

While I like a firm bed - firm and there's hard. I have too many curves for too hard a bed.

Since we're sailing from SF and are driving to the terminal (Yippee, first time we don't have to fly anywhere) bringing a memory foam topper wouldn't be that difficult. But I'd rather not.

Any info on the mattresses on Grand Dolphin deck?

And after reading this I am definitely bringing my pillow.

I've had pillow-top mattresses on all of my Princess cruises for the last two years, including the Star, Island, Crown, Diamond and most recently, the Royal. Cabin types have ranged from standard balcony to oceanview. Maybe I'm just lucky but I doubt it.

FYI, the Royal's mattress was far superior to anything I've had on any other cruise line, including HAL (I'm a 3-star Mariner), Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Some people like a firm mattress whether it has a padded topper or not. I need a softer mattress to sleep well. On the Coral Princess (mini-suite) in July, I had the best mattress I've ever had on a Princess cruise. Very comfortable. My friend said the same thing. On the Ruby Princess (balcony) in January, the mattress was like a rock. I brought my own topper and it didn't help. I asked for another topper and it barely made it OK. I could sleep. On the Sapphire Princess (mini) in December, I had a comfortable enough mattress with no pillow top. I slept fine and didn't need the topper I brought with me. So, that's my experience in the last year. Princess advertises premium bedding in suites and mini-suites, so they changed those out first. Now, I've read they are changing other beds out, but no guarantees.

Here's a picture of the really comfortable mattress on the Coral. I'd actually pay extra money to have that mattress on every cruise I go on.

DSCN0957.jpg.7a6413593ac9baff9416968e86f9f72c.jpg

Archived