Binoculars

angel54321

I've read a few threads that people suggested to bring binoculars to look for wild life out our balcony....

Do you think we'll really see dolphins or something?

I'm curious what other people's experiences have been with binoculars.....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

I always pack my small pair. Never regretted it.

Great for looking at wildlife, foliage, sealife, architecture, people-watching, etc.

My last cruise, the 11 night So. Caribbean on the Sun we were in "the lane" returning to Miami. It was fun to look at the ships in "in the other lane" heading out from Miami. It was so cool and unexpected. It was early Saturday evening, before dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We pack a compact sports one along in the carry-on - used it to check out the shipping lanes while at sea and as we approach lands, closeup view of dophins while anchored at Port Canaveral swimming playfully off the port side, and giant sea turtles at Grand Turk right alongside the extended pier support. Can't leave for Alaska cruising (or Hawaii) without it ... ;)

As a birder, I never travel without two pairs of binoculars: a large 10x pair for balcony and on-land wildlife viewing, and a 6x compact pair which I can easily strap onto my belt for use on shore, typically in cathedrals and other situations where I want a close-up view of decorative details. If you like to DIY your ports and do a lot of walking, binoculars really help you to read distant directional signs. They save a lot of errant walking that way. (I also pack a spotting scope and tripod for balcony use, but I am assuming you would not want to go to that extent.)

From the balcony, the larger pair are of great use on entrances and exits to ports, particularly those with long sail-ins, such as Stockholm. There are a lot of fascinating sights on land that become visible in such situations. In wildlife-rich areas, e.g., Antarctica and Alaska, binoculars are invaluable for seeing whales and birds.

Two tips: (1) pack the binoculars in your carry-on, not your suitcase (they are just too tempting for light fingers); and (2) never rely on ship-supplied binoculars- they are little better than toys.

I never cruise without my ancient 7x35 which I find just perfect....powerful enough for my purpose, and still light enough not to be a burden.

A couple of years ago, I sailed on the then new Celebrity Silhouette in 'Aqua Class', whose amenities included the use of a pair of binocular's, but as other's have stated, these were of low quality. I believe you could purchase them for only about $16. That should tell you about their relative quality. I was tempted only because of the Celebrity logo on them for a souvenir purpose, but bought a polo shirt instead...:)

If you were going to Alaska, definitely, but I havent found much use for them on any of the other cruises Ive been on. You either get a beautiful panorama or an industrial port. Only in Alaska have we been fortunate enough to see wildlife right alongside the ship.

If you were going to Alaska, definitely, but I havent found much use for them on any of the other cruises Ive been on. You either get a beautiful panorama or an industrial port. Only in Alaska have we been fortunate enough to see wildlife right alongside the ship.

The OP is going on a Western Caribbean cruise. Dolphins are possible anytime in the tropics near islands, as are flocks of birds that would be attractive even to a non-birder. Once, when coming into Aruba, a flock of flamingos flew by. Really spectacular.

The OP is going on a Western Caribbean cruise. Dolphins are possible anytime in the tropics near islands, as are flocks of birds that would be attractive even to a non-birder. Once, when coming into Aruba, a flock of flamingos flew by. Really spectacular.

Ah, well Im also taking the Western Caribbean cruise in April. I hope to see a flock of flamingos too! :)

I've seen dolphins, sea lions and even whales. Although saw them all with the naked eye. Saw the whales about 100 yards off the bow. The binoculars are more fun checking out the shore as we sail past. I wouldn't rush out and buy a pair but if you have some, bring 'em.

Took binoculars with us on a Breakaway sailing to Bermuda last July. From our balcony at sea we saw dolphins, whales spouting, a couple of sailboats, freighters, periodically the Celebrity Summit which was usually nearby, and then it was it interesting using them on the approach to and departure from Bermuda plus in port. Glad we took them along.

Wow! Thankyou all for your replies......

Yes, we are going on a Western Caribbean cruise this March -

I live in Florida but have yet to see a "wild" dolphin......

I am in the Orlando area, so I don't get out to the beach side too often....

I am definitely going to look for a pair of binoculars to pack along....

This is my 4th cruise but our first balcony. I like the idea of being able to look ahead into the port we are sailing into......

Now for those with "binocular" knowledge - can anyone recommend an inexpensive pair solely for the use from my cruise balcony.? Hmmm and maybe I'd bring some on our hikes or canoe trips occasionally for looking at birds or gators that I can't get too close to...

Now for those with "binocular" knowledge - can anyone recommend an inexpensive pair solely for the use from my cruise balcony.? Hmmm and maybe I'd bring some on our hikes or canoe trips occasionally for looking at birds or gators that I can't get too close to...

My small ones are Pentax Papilio 6.5x21, and they are a very good buy (~$115 - $120) with excellent optics. They also make an 8.5x21 for roughly the same price. They are specifically constructed to allow very close focusing if necessary so that butterflies can be viewed, but they do an amazing job at a distance as well. Also, they have a soft case which is meant to be worn on a belt.

One warning on buying a small pair of binoculars: don't just shop by price. Especially with small binoculars, poor optics produce a terrible experience. My long-suffering birding wife (read: widow) hated the cheap pair I first got for her. With the Papilio, she actually now takes an interest.