Help needed w/ questions about Medit. cruise

travelinmama

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I have used CC before but not all that often and not any time recently.

We were booked on a Medit. cruise for last yr but had to cancel. Now we are rebooked for the NCL Jade 14 day cruise leaving May 14, 2014. We are flying in to Rome, doing 4 days in Rome precruise then taking a train to Venice and cruising for 2 weeks, then doing 2 days post cruise in Venice.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. How do I join the group where I can be alerted to price drops on my cruise? I just happened to come across one price decrease already and was able to get it but I thought that I had read somewhere there is a site I can subscribe to that emails me when the price drops?

2/3. Does anyone have any suggestions for Tour Companies for Rome and some of the ports of call? (I have tried to do a lot of reading on CC about the various ports but everyone seems to say something different.) I am traveling with my 21 year old son and 18 year old daughter but I don't want to necessarily do the tours from the ship. I have heard that you almost have to do a ship tour from some ports to get off on the tenders early (ex. Santorini). Can one get an early tender if we are not booked on tours offered by the ship?

Thanks so much for any help. I greatly appreciate it.

G Fuller

We just returned from the Jade and a Greek Isles cruise from Venice. It was a really great trip. I will post my review and pictorial within the week; I am sure there will be some tips for some of the Greek Isles.

We are not allowed to post the link of the site that tracks prices, since it is a cruise-selling site. Try a google search.

In Santorini, the Jade used large tender ferries from the island and it was not a big problem getting ashore in a timely fashion.

I use viator.com a lot in Europe--even if it is just to get an idea of what I can do DIY. They are not a tour operator--just a booking agent--but I like them--have used for Copenhagen, Tuscany Tour in Florence, Buckingham Palace Tickets, Fat Tire bike tours in Barcelona. With a 21 yr old and 18 yr old, I suggest you have them get a Rick Steves book and then decide what interests them. He has podcast to download on Ipods, etc. for lots of places---so you might not need a tour in every port.

It is easy to take the funicular up in Santorini and then just catch the local bus to Oia on your own. Then walk around, wine and olive oil taste, enjoy. There is also a tour where you can swim in the volcano crater and hike up part of it--we almost did that. Surf the web and you'll find it. have fun! Elaine

Have you looked at the PORTS OF CALL board for EUROPE?? I know several people have used Rome in Limo as a tour operator and have had glowing reports. You might want to look at what others have posted for Rome and other ports.

Have a great time!

That's pretty much what I was going to suggest. :)

1. How do I join the group where I can be alerted to price drops on my cruise? I just happened to come across one price decrease already and was able to get it but I thought that I had read somewhere there is a site I can subscribe to that emails me when the price drops?

Try using google to search for a fish that cruises. ;)

Another vote for Rick Steves book - really easy to use. Also, don't discount the individual location tourist websites as the maps and information is really good and free! We used Cruising Excursions in places where we felt it was too stressful to DIY (e.g public transport changes etc) and found them to be mega cheap compared to the ships tours, and really enjoyed them. Our rule was if we were docked in the town then we would DIY, but if we wanted/needed to travel an hour from port we used an excursion company.

Have fun! :)

We did a similar trip for DDP's big 50th birthday trip last April except we only had a week aboard :( so lucky you!

As others have stated, the Port of Call section can be very helpful but more importently IMHO, your roll call can be your best friend. On both this most recent trip as well as our Eastern Med cruise (Athens to Instanbul with Alexandria, and Greek Isles) for my 50th five years ago, we didn't do any ships excursions. Instead we either set up or joined with fellow cruisers on our own trips. In addition to going where we wanted, when we wanted, we were able to do it with a much smaller group instead of a busload.

A couple of thoughts that came immediately to mind when reading your post:

-be prepared for the high cost of hotels in Venice.

-consider trying to pack as light as possible. Getting around Venice with luggage is tough. We went for two weeks in a 22" rollaboard and a backpack. We had a small foldable bag that we used on the return to hold what we had purchased. We did wash after our first week in Rome - lots of laundries do a wash and fold by the pound. It wasn't as cheap as Rick Steves said it was, but our clothes probably weigh more than his! LOL In anycase, that along with washing our unmentionables in that porcelain washbasin beside the commode in our Rome apartment(LOL - yes I know what it really is, but better than the ashtray my father thought it was on his first trip to Europe!LOL) we did just fine and not having to tote big bags was great!

-we really enjoyed our apartment in Rome - slightly less cost for the four of us than two hotel rooms and we got a refrigerator and a roof terrace

-in Rome, make reservations online before you leave for the Vatican Museum and the Coliseum - highly recommend the tour that takes you down to the lower lever and up to the top

-we purchased our train tickets online long before our trip - saved a good bit of money that way

-consider doing a gondola lesson with Row Venice rather than taking a gondola ride. Price was less and it was the highlight of Mike's birthday trip

-we rented a car in Santornini and got to see the entire island from end to end. Suggest you might want to consider doing this.

Have a great cruise...if you want any details from me, let me know.

Edited by Clay Clayton

You are in for a wonderful time. We were on the NCL Spirit in August. I developed a spreadsheet and table for our tours. I can sent it you if you email me miloliihalehonu@yahoo.com. All ports may not be the same, but will give you a few ideas. As other suggest join or start your roll call and check the port of call boards. I also read the roll calls of people on the same cruise at another time before or after me. There were also a few on our cruise who had been on a similar cruise and had first hand knowledge of tour operators. Another reason to join or start your roll call.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

We spent a week in Rome last October and took a cruise also. Highly recommend the Big Red Bus hop on hop off. It takes you all around the city and you can get off tour and the get back on. We found it great and relatively Inexpensive. The buses run about every 15 minutes. There is a running narration. Best tour around. And you can spend as long as you want.

Thanks for such great answers. I hope I am doing this right (I am very computer illiterate so just finding where to ask this has been a challenge. ) Anyway,

I have been looking at multiple tours and it appears as though I can save a lot of time and money if we decide to travel via train from Rome to Naples to be picked up by our tour guide and tour the Amalfi coast, Pompeii etc.

I am so fearful of taking the wrong train so I am hoping someone can help me.

I looked at the website for the train but again, am having a hard time navigating it.

I need to know

1.Is there that much of a difference between 1st and 2nd class that I need to spend the extra money for travel from Rome to Naples?

2. Can someone please tell me exactly what train to get from Rome to Naples?

Also if we are touring Florence on one of our days I was told that we could again simply take the Naples train. Is that true?

3. Can /should I buy the tickets ahead of time or that day?

4. I was also looking to transfer from Rome to our port in Venice for our cruise but am reading that carrying huge suitcases and carry on bags might be an issue. Suggestions? (our cruise leaves from Venice not Rome)

Thanks so much. I looked all over the place to find the correct forum to post this and thought it would ok to just attach it to my previous question.

Thanks