Cruising in December, how to Pack?

Nikkimouse76

We set sail on the Breakaway in Dec. I am concerned about how to pack. We will be leaving NYC in the cold winter weather. Once we arrive in Port Canaveral I am guessing it will still be chilly (perhaps cool spring like weather), then in the Bahamas, and Great Stirrup Cay I am not quite sure how warm it will be. I am envisioning having to pack for 3 separate seasons just to make sure we are prepared. Any advice, we are a family of 5?

We went with this itinerary in the winter. It was cold on the 1st and last sea days. Florida was not cold. So we wore jeans and long sleeves on the cold days (avoiding outdoors as much as possible) but summer attire on the other days.

I'm sailing in December too. I'm planning on taking 2 pairs of long pants, 2 pairs of shorts, a black skirt for evening and capris. I think I'll only take 2 long sleeve tops, maybe 3 and the rest short sleeves with a light fleece to put on top if necessary. Of course, I'll wear my winter jacket in NY. I expect the sea days to be cold, Florida mild and Caribbean warm (but not too hot, which I prefer I think, I can leave the balcony door open, no need for air conditioning). On Wednesday, we get the private beach and Thursday I go to Atlantis, so I'll probably spend both days in a bathing suit + cover-up anyway. I'll just need a change for the evening.

SeaShark's Guide to Cruise Packing

Step 1) Lay out all of the clothes that you will wear.

Step 2) Lay out all of the money you plan to spend.

Step 3) Open your suitcase.

Step 4) Pack half the clothes and twice the money! :p

We like SeaShark's approach - thumbs up !!

Plan your clothing in layers for mix-n-match, mostly for warm climate. It will be warm down in the Bahmas, 70's to 80's are typical. PC might be in the 60's or 70's - check your favorite website like weather.com ahead of sailing and repack if necessary.

If you leave extra space in the suitcase (ha, we managed to sail with a single 22" carryon each plus an oversized personal bag, just like flying these days for 8 and 9 nights of cruising) - you can always buy extra t-shirts and/or long sleeve fleece as souvenirs, whether on the ship or at the ports (as you need them.)

Depending on your mode of transport to NYC for your Breakaway sailing, you might want to just leave the heavier winter coat/outwear jacket in the car. A warm fleece jacket (and/or maybe a compressed down vest - serving as compact pillow in a petite flannel case) is all you will need, or maybe a 3 season windbreaker with a zip-out fleece - otherwise, it's just going to hang inside the closet for 7 nights, and you will have to carry that yourself for boarding & upon disembarkation.

If it's too "cold" & windy outside abroad the Breakaway, you aren't going to stay outside for long wearing your winter coats anyway - there's plenty to do indoors.

We have sailed from Florida in December many times (Port Canaveral and FLL) and it has always been in the 80's and humid. January it can be much cooler. The Bahamas will be in the 80's but we found the water temps to be cooler than we liked. We are sailing from NOLA on Dec 1 and it can be cooler there so we need jeans and a jacket for getting there and coming home. We are only 350 miles from NO so we will be driving.

We set sail on the Breakaway in Dec. I am concerned about how to pack. We will be leaving NYC in the cold winter weather. Once we arrive in Port Canaveral I am guessing it will still be chilly (perhaps cool spring like weather), then in the Bahamas, and Great Stirrup Cay I am not quite sure how warm it will be. I am envisioning having to pack for 3 separate seasons just to make sure we are prepared. Any advice, we are a family of 5?

We live very close to Port Canaveral...the weather in December could be anything! It could be hot, could be quite cold, could be in-between. It usually isn't very humid that time of year, but...it COULD be!!:) I would check the weather for the area closer to your sail time, because really, we have seen it all in December! Same for the Bahamas, they aren't that far away from us! Planning for layering is always a good idea.

Just remember that the Bahamas are just off the Florida coast and NOT in the Caribbean.

When you sail out into the eastern Caribbean, the warmer waters, keep the islands warm all winter long.

When you sail Western or Southern Caribbean routes, you are heading well south and thus still warm.

Usually the Bahamas are a few degrees warmer than the weather in Florida at the time.

December in Central Florida, barring a cold snap, should still be in the low 70's or so.

From weather spark.com

At Daytona Beach the month of December is characterized by gradually falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs ranging from 73°F to 68°F over the course of the month, exceeding 81°F or dropping below 56°F only one day in ten.
At Orlando the month of December is characterized by gradually falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs ranging from 75°F to 71°F over the course of the month, exceeding 83°F or dropping below 59°F only one day in ten.
In Nassau, Bahamas the month of December is characterized by gradually falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs around 79°F throughout the month, exceeding 84°F or dropping below 73°F only one day in ten.

Bill

Archived