Single supplement rate/Single Cruiser issues (MERGED QUESTIONS)

I'll second this question. Being on several Regent Cruises as a solo single, each time paying the full double rate, it would be great if Regent offered some discount to us frequent single customers allowing me to cruise with my favorite line more often. Recognizing past customers is an important way for them to continue to travel with Regent.

30%of the uk population are single. Why are we always penalised when trying to book cruises etc. There are only one set of linen, towels to wash if 1 or 2 people are in a cabin, only one lot of food if you are single but the supplement is anything from 40 - 80% more. Surely companies make enough money without penalising those of us who are alone?

As a solo traveller I sail mainly with P&O. Not because they are my favourites but because their single supplements of around 50% are acceptable. If other lines reduced theirs to around the same level I would most likely sail with them as well. But they don't so I don't.

I agree with the above questions. I know we all understand that some single supplement is appropriate but a double fare is over the top. I believe that Regent is the only Luxury line which has this policy.

None of us eat twice the food, drink twice the drinks nor - in particular - take twice the INCLUDED tours on any cruise.

Hopefully this policy will be reconsidered.

Dear Mr Sadler,
When encouraging a single friend to join us on an RSSC cruise the supplement was almost 100%. Why, when only 1 flight is used (Flight inclusive fare) and half the Drink/Food/Inclusive excursions are taken advantage of, the excess should be 100%? Surely certain elements should be taken from the total cost as they would not have been used/paid by RSSC

To highlight another factor, some less exalted cruise lines have defended high single supplements on the grounds that with fares reduced to a bare minimum they are increasingly reliant upon the profits from onboard sales of drinks, premium dining and excursions to bolster profits. They may have a point; a single occupant of a cabin is unlikely to spend as much on board as two people. If however, these are included in the fare then the argument works the opposite way. The single occupant is unlikely to eat and drink as much on his own as a couple would, or take as many excursions, so the cruise lines save costs by having one person in a cabin rather than miss out on profits. I cannot see any financial justification in those circumstances for 100% single supplements. Edited by Denarius
grammar

I know this question was regarding the single supplement but I would also like to know if Regent has any future plans to do world cruises on one of their wonderful ships. IMO the Voyager and Mariner were the perfect ships to do a world cruise and are missed by many of their loyal fans. I would appreciate your reponse.

Sealover, I suggest you start another thread for this one, about reviving World Cruises, and associated single supps. A good question for those interested! This one is about Single Supplements on regular segments I assume, which, since Mr. Sadler is not answering despite many questions, may be beyond his ability to comment upon since he is the MD in UK and Europe, not the USA.

I do remember you were a World Cruiser! At least I think you were!

Let's keep this one limited to the Single Supplement issue. I guess like other contributors, I'm very interested to know why this question has so far been avoided by Mr. Sadler although it does seem an issue posed by a number of fellow cruisers. It is also an important point for not only UK but those using RSSC from all quarters of the world including many single cruisers from the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]Dear Sealover (and others!),[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]Apologies for the delay. Thanks so much for your questions about the single supplements. When the opportunity presents itself, we have offered lower single supplements on certain sailings and will continue to do so in the future. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]Kind regards[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]Graham[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[quote name='Graham Sadler'][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]Dear Sealover (and others!),[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]Apologies for the delay. Thanks so much for your questions about the single supplements. When the opportunity presents itself, we have offered lower single supplements on certain sailings and will continue to do so in the future. [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]Kind regards[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]Graham[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/quote]
Dear Mr. Graham, Bearing in mind the number of previous cruisers asking the same question, I feel the response was less than comprehensive. So many points were ignored and these issues were raised by people who appear to have great admiration for RSSC and wish it great success. I think most realise on occasions better single supplements are offered but this still does not cover many of the main comments. Surely we should expect a better explanation and certainly with a little more detail.