Taking kids on celebrity

aquanaut1

My child was bored on Celebrity. The complaint was the number of 'old people'. That is true. Some can be really cranky. Really enjoyed Royal Carribean as there was a higher energy level, more peers, and more activities.

Disney is a wonderful option as well, especially with children under 10.

My partner and I happen to be the "old" people you are talking about. If your child was bored it is probably because you chose the wrong cruise for him / her. As you know, there are cruise lines attract more kids than Celebrity. I'm sure if you do some research you will discover them. As for children on board Celebrity I think it is a wonderful thing to be surrounded by vitality and youth as long as they are well behaved and their parents see to it that they do not disturb the other guests. When there are problems it is most often the fault of the adult and not the child.

Celebrity Suites verses RCI Suites

Penthouse = Royal Suite on RCI

Royal Suite = Owners Suite on RCI

Celebrity Suite = Grand Suite on RCI

Sky Suites and a Junior Suite on RCI match up closely space wise but RCI does not consider a JS to be a true suite and therefore do not receive suite benefits other than two points per night and priority boarding.

Thanks so much ! That's so much easier to understand than the brochure !!!

Much appreciated

My partner and I happen to be the "old" people you are talking about. If your child was bored it is probably because you chose the wrong cruise for him / her. As you know, there are cruise lines attract more kids than Celebrity. I'm sure if you do some research you will discover them. As for children on board Celebrity I think it is a wonderful thing to be surrounded by vitality and youth as long as they are well behaved and their parents see to it that they do not disturb the other guests. When there are problems it is most often the fault of the adult and not the child.

I think this is very true - I think you need to know your children. I have a friend who is a few years older than me (I am 50 and my boys are 16, 16 &20) but her only son is 11 and he has always traveled and he is well behaved and can go anywhere and has. Again you need to know your child.

All 3 of my boys are chronically ill (although as they are fairly stable right now and for past year or 2) they do not look sick to the "untrained" eye - although in a bathing suit hard to miss the g-tubes 2 of my boys have (they are actually buttons) so I think they are well behaved (for the most part - you know how twins can be - let alone 2 16 year old boys) as they have spent so much time around doctors and in hospitals - to prove the point when I was hospitalized recently and the cardiologist was speaking to me and one of the 16 year olds was there and he was saying I think we need to change one of your blood pressure meds to a beta blocker and they 16 year old chimes in why don't you use Inderal - after the cardiologist head was done spinning like Linda Blair in the exorcist he looked him in the eye and say that would be an ideal choice how do you know about that - he goes I have been on it for several years - another double take as this 16 year old is 5'5 and under 100 pounds he goes I take it for high BP (he has had it since a young child). It was pretty funny but since my boys are so used to these types of conversations they had no problems on Celebrity this summer for 12 days.

Our first cruise was on RCI to the Eastern Med was the other 16 year olds Make A Wish Trip. And we sat at the Captains Table one night and all 3 of the boys (then 14, 14 & 18) were so well behaved for over 2 hours that the captain and everyone at the table and even the surrounding tables came up to me and complimented me.

SO based on this I find it hard to generalize as to what kids will like what. My boys like history - my oldest I think on our Baltic cruise this summer (he is 20) attended many of the lectures on the ship. If your kids need to be constantly on the go and to be engaged with rock climbing or water slides or the like then no they probably would not like Celebrity. But my boys ALL met a ton of kids this summer on the cruise just like them from all over the world and with the invention of social media and especially Facebook they keep in touch.

Know your children then pick the line

Sharon

Thank you for asking this! This has been my biggest reservation with booking Celebrity. My children will be 8,5 & 1. I'm glad to hear some positive responses. We booked the Family Verandah.

Thats a fantastic cabin for you as a family, we are just back off Reflection and had an FV, it was perfect, huge huge cabin and two seperate bedrooms, loads of storage too. (this is S class) FV on M class is great too, it has huge aft balcony. Here is our video link we just made, shows how wonderful ship and staff are -

http://mybigfatcruise.com/post/65925347724/here-is-our-video-review-of-our-latest-fabulous

Edited by louise1809

Hello there

We have two

Kids age 4 and 8 and have sailed rccl the last few cruises because of the kids facilities .

Our last cruise however was totally overrun with children and the kids club ' struggled ' , and it wasn't so great , so we were thinking of coming back to Celebrity. We sailed pre children with them all the time , and had a wonderful time . The kids play well together and wouldn't need to go to the club all the time , and would come on some excursions with us too if they suited . What are your experiences of taking children on celebrity , and how does the kids club fare ? All comments appreciated

We've been sailing with our kids since infancy, mostly on Celebrity. My 19 year old has 20 cruises under his belt, and is Elite. My 15 year old would be Elite, if he was old enough. Celebrity adds staff to the kids program when more kids are there, so there is no shortage of activity or attention. Its not a "kids cruise line", so the activities outside the Club are more "adult", but there the kids get plenty of attention and opportunities to have a great cruise. Once our oldest was a teen, he (and his brother) weren't drawn to the Club anymore, but still had a great time.

We've had a Family View cabin three times on the M Class, but have otherwise done a balcony quad. Still do.

I'd encourage you to take your kids, and enjoy the cruise

Hello.

I have cruised for many years on Celebrity. My son has been on 8 Cruises. He loves the kids programs. They have so many activities. Every day has a theme. They do lots of crafts and games, free playtime etc. The Fun Factory is very colorful and inviting. The staff people are usually college age and the younger ones really love them. They are split into groups by age. You can come and go as you please you just have to sign in and out. They can stay all day if they want in port. While at sea you have to pick them up for lunch. Activites are scheduled around the 6pm dining seating. There are some times of the year where there are lots of kids on board, like Easter break (week before and after Easter depending on where you live). Other times there were smaller groups of kids esp when they are in school. I have not sailed during summer, so can't judge the summer for you. Hope that helped!!!!

How does the kids club notify you if your kids want to leave? Do they give you beepers? Thanks!

Only if you have a very young child. Otherwise you need to check back if they're between say six and nine. We were given a beeper for our four year old.

Hello.

I have cruised for many years on Celebrity. My son has been on 8 Cruises. He loves the kids programs. They have so many activities. Every day has a theme. They do lots of crafts and games, free playtime etc. The Fun Factory is very colorful and inviting. The staff people are usually college age and the younger ones really love them. They are split into groups by age. You can come and go as you please you just have to sign in and out. They can stay all day if they want in port. While at sea you have to pick them up for lunch. Activites are scheduled around the 6pm dining seating. There are some times of the year where there are lots of kids on board, like Easter break (week before and after Easter depending on where you live). Other times there were smaller groups of kids esp when they are in school. I have not sailed during summer, so can't judge the summer for you. Hope that helped!!!!

Immensely thank you everybody who has supplied constructive assistance

And a special shout out to the lawn mower - you know who you are !!! Thanks for making me laugh out loud

They will have a wonderful time and there is always plenty to do. They have a great children's program.

We pretty much only book Celebrity and Princess and also during school holidays. My daughter (10) has always had a great time.

The staff go out of their way to welcome kids.

Have a great trip!

Hi - it is a great question.

We have just booked an 18 day cruise with our mostly well behaved children! 7 and 8.

We have traveled twice in Royal Caribbean. The last was on rhapsody and I found it a little lack lustre, hence we booked celebrity. I am really looking forward to some great on board activities for the grown ups. I'm really hoping for a balance of ages.

Hi - it is a great question.

We have just booked an 18 day cruise with our mostly well behaved children! 7 and 8.

We have traveled twice in Royal Caribbean. The last was on rhapsody and I found it a little lack lustre, hence we booked celebrity. I am really looking forward to some great on board activities for the grown ups. I'm really hoping for a balance of ages.

Glad we aren't the only family losing the rci love !!! I'm not saying we didn't have a great holiday because we really did , but I think it's time to return to Celebrity !

I am really looking forward to some great on board activities for the grown ups. I'm really hoping for a balance of ages.

Hum, most that sail Celebrity do so because of the 'laid back' approach. IMHO, you will not find a sailing with 'activities for the grown ups';)

Keep in mind :

If your children don't participate in the kids clubs each day (whether they refuse to attend at all, or just opt out some days) there is really nothing else for children onboard.

Children are also not allowed in the indoor swimming pool.

Keep in mind :

If your children don't participate in the kids clubs each day (whether they refuse to attend at all, or just opt out some days) there is really nothing else for children onboard.

That is a fairly typical rule from my cruising experience. I think it works well for adults who want kid free time to have their own space.

I guess the only other things on board would be the pool, movies, exploring With mum and dad, doing crafty things, reading, ice cream, meeting new people, the crew (they are awesome with kids - I find the Filipino crew are in particular). :)

Keep in mind :

Not true, there is a sports deck, and a small arcade, with games in, (air hockey etc) that they can use. They are allowed in the outdoor pool, unless you choose a cruise with loads of sea days, they will also be getting off the ship most days and be busy with you in port - research kid friendly stuff to do in port - cycling, beaches, tours that involve the kids in pizza making, or gelato demo, that kind of thing.

This is the normal rule, but they made an exception on our Alaskan cruise. There was a swim time for the kiddos for an hour or two each day. You can't plan on that, but it did happen.

Edited by Travalerie

The indoor pool is for adults only, but in inclement weather they may schedule a small timeframe for kids. I also have not seen much for children to do onboard if they don't go to the kids club. Also, unless you are going during a holiday there will not be many children on board, at least that is my experience. If it were me I would stick with a cruise line that is more geared for children and take Celebrity when it is just the two of you.

At 4 and 8YO what did the OP's kids DO on their RCCI cruises? If they liked the non-adventure ocean on-board activities (flow riders, ice skating, etc.) they may not like Celebrity as much as their RCCI cruises. If they like the kids club and spend a lot of time on-shore, they will likely be happy (or even happier) on X.

When my DD was younger she LOVED the kids clubs, but would get turned off if there were too many other kids on board. Thus she really enjoyed our "off season" Celebrity cruises, there were kids in the program but a relatively smallish number of kids.

With slightly older kids (11-14ish and above) X ships may not have some of the whiz-bang attractions that the RCCI megaships have. But not all teens are really looking for that stuff either!

(PS in my family's case, convincing ME to get onto a ship with fewer amenties is usually the problem. I am not the sitting-in-a-lounge-chair kind of person. But I find much to do on a X cruise!)

Edited by Onessa

At 4 and 8YO what did the OP's kids DO on their RCCI cruises? If they liked the non-adventure ocean on-board activities (flow riders, ice skating, etc.) they may not like Celebrity as much as their RCCI cruises. If they like the kids club and spend a lot of time on-shore, they will likely be happy (or even happier) on X.

When my DD was younger she LOVED the kids clubs, but would get turned off if there were too many other kids on board. Thus she really enjoyed our "off season" Celebrity cruises, there were kids in the program but a relatively smallish number of kids.

With slightly older kids (11-14ish and above) X ships may not have some of the whiz-bang attractions that the RCCI megaships have. But not all teens are really looking for that stuff either!

(PS in my family's case, convincing ME to get onto a ship with fewer amenties is usually the problem. I am not the sitting-in-a-lounge-chair kind of person. But I find much to do on a X cruise!)

Hi there

The kids did enjoy adventure ocean and went , on quite a few days

However the sheer amount Of kids in the clubs made it less enjoyable on some days as they combined some of the age groups and it got a bit boisterous on some activities . Which my daughter wasn't keen on and kept asking to join my son in aquanauts as was quieter

They participated in the parades and were in there on some sea days and a few port days and were fine when it wasn't too manic

We are extremely lucky to have two children that adore playing together , and when not in AO joined in other activities on the ship with us ( pool , golf , sports court , we spent a huge amount of time on deck with them as my son ( 3 at the time ) likes exploring !! As well as family quizzes , but also in the cabin and balcony as they are great with imagination play !

But my eldest commented after the last cruise that the kids club was not as nice as the time before , because it was too busy , and the staff not as nice and friendly ( which I would agree with ) and she would like to go in a ship that had a smaller kids club .... She's a very outgoing and friendly child and I trust her judgement completely ! And when you are paying the prices we pay to go on a cruise we want to make sure the entire family are happy