Paid M&G price increase. Wow!

firemanbobswife

So I called today to finalize the M&G for our January 5 Conquest Cruise and was told that they increased all the prices on anything booked today or later. They also changed the packages. Basically, what used to be an hour open bar for approx $11.50 pp is now $18.40pp (including mandatory gratuity) with less selection.

I understand that they hadn't had a price increase for a long time, and I'm sure it was due, but now if you want a truly open bar with premium booze, it's $25.30. To me that's just a little crazy. And an adult can't purchase the soda package when alcohol is being served. Only 21 or younger.

And they want you to pay the full deposit upfront. No thanks.

Not that I would expect them to announce ahead of time that they were having an astronomical price increase, but geez! Guess that's what I get for waiting until I think I have the final figure or pretty close to it.

I'm putting the old price list and the new list (partials) here.

ude8uhu8.jpggydy6eba.jpg

Wow! That is a very steep increase, I was just part of an organized M&G on the Splendor 10/18. As you've stated, I understand the need to raise the price but it is over a 100% increase. Probably still worth it because I know that I had at least 4 drinks within the hour. :D

What an increase!!!! Attended 3 private cocktail parties on last cruise on Liberty. Lots of alcohol consumed but not enough for the new prices. We also took up a collection for the server & bartender so they were not shorted either. Maybe this is too time consuming for staff? Well, at least we will get to attend one more private party in December on the Conquest! ;)

The part that gets me the most (besides the increase itself) is that payment is due IMMEDIATELY WHEN BOOKED - not charged to the organizer's S&S account as previously done. No way would I be willing to pay all that upfront that far ahead of time!

There will be a whole lot less parties, I agree. Including ours!

Here's the email:

Thank you for choosing Carnival Cruise Lines for your group's travel plans.

As requested, attached please find our Carnival Entertains menu. Kindly note there is no charge for children under 5 years of age. In order to schedule a party onboard, you must purchase one of our Party Packages for a minimum of one hour in length. All adults must purchase one of the Open Bar Parties, with all minors over the age of 5 purchasing a Non-Alcoholic Bar.

We do not charge for the venue, but there may be additional fees audio/visual equipment (depending on your needs), any technician services that are required for your event, and/or for the food and beverages purchased.

Before private event space can be reserved, you must have full deposits paid for a minimum of 20 guests. The following information is also required in order to schedule onboard event space:

o Type of group you have booked (i.e. Friends, Family, Organization, etc.)

o Brief description of the type of events you are hosting.

o How many guests are expected to attend each event?

o What day, time, and duration are you requesting for your events?

o What type of food and beverages are you requesting?

o Does your group wish to hire any of our onboard Entertainers (i.e. Band, DJ, Karaoke Host, Pianist, etc.)? If requesting a Band, DJ, or Pianist, please specify the type of music you would like played at your event.

o Does your group need any audio/visual equipment for the event(s)? Please note: If the group needs to use our sound equipment, CD player, LCD projector with sound or is plugging into our sound system there is an additional fee of $50.00 per hour or any part thereof for the services of our technician to operate the sound equipment in the room.

o Who is the designated Group/Event Leader?

Once you have gathered all information required, please contact us at 1.800.438.6744, Ext. 70006, so we can begin planning your function.

Private event space is limited and will always be reserved/scheduled around our onboard entertainment and activities. Requests are not guaranteed and the information above will be evaluated by an Event Planner to determine if a private venue is warranted. The Event Planner will schedule your function for a day, time and location that best meets the criteria outlined in your request. A preliminary event chart will be provided once your event is scheduled. Please do not confirm the event(s) to your group as your schedule is subject to change until finalized. An Event Planner will contact you via email 5-6 weeks prior to sailing to finalize your onboard event(s) and collect payment, which will be due immediately.

Carnival Cruise Lines appreciates your business and looks forward to welcoming your group onboard. Carnival Cruise Lines has a strict “No Solicitation” policy. This policy prohibits any person or organization from any form of solicitation (including for nonprofit organizations) to our guests and/or crew, either before sailing, during or after the voyage. Guests are prohibited from inviting other non-group sailing guests to participate in privately scheduled onboard events.

We look forward to providing your guests with a fun and memorable cruise.

What an increase!!!! Attended 3 private cocktail parties on last cruise on Liberty. Lots of alcohol consumed but not enough for the new prices. We also took up a collection for the server & bartender so they were not shorted either. Maybe this is too time consuming for staff? Well, at least we will get to attend one more private party in December on the Conquest! ;)

Whew! Was wondering if our cruise was included:D

Yeah, some advance warning would've been helpful.

Guess it's just me, but I don't think those prices are out of line. Yes, it's a big jump, but with the number of drinks people pound down at those parties, it just makes sense.

After all, Carnival is not a non-profit organization! ;)

We had 1-hour open bar last October on the 2nd leg of my Fantasy B2B for $11.50 pp. I bet we each had at least 4 drinks. What would that have cost at a bar? Quite a lot!! Seems to me that it's a reasonable figure.

We have a 2-hour M&G scheduled for our Conquest repo cruise in a couple of weeks at $20 pp. I personally would've preferred having only an hour because I'm a little afraid I'll get totally wasted (we're doing a slot pull immediately after). Some of us don't really do well consuming double-digit number of drinks in an afternoon/evening! :o

So I called today to finalize the M&G for our January 5 Conquest Cruise and was told that they increased all the prices on anything booked today or later. They also changed the packages. Basically, what used to be an hour open bar for approx $11.50 pp is now $18.40pp (including mandatory gratuity) with less selection.

I understand that they hadn't had a price increase for a long time, and I'm sure it was due, but now if you want a truly open bar with premium booze, it's $25.30. To me that's just a little crazy. And an adult can't purchase the soda package when alcohol is being served. Only 21 or younger.

Not that I would expect them to announce ahead of time that they were having an astronomical price increase, but geez! Guess that's what I get for waiting until I think I have the final figure or pretty close to it.

ude8uhu8.jpggydy6eba.jpg

The 11.50 was a steal. We had a 2 hour open bar on our Breeze cruise this past April. There was about 150 people there. The cost for 2 hours was 20. Trust me they lost money on that one.

Yeah, some advance warning would've been helpful.

Guess it's just me, but I don't think those prices are out of line. Yes, it's a big jump, but with the number of drinks people pound down at those parties, it just makes sense.

After all, Carnival is not a non-profit organization! ;)

We had 1-hour open bar last October on the 2nd leg of my Fantasy B2B for $11.50 pp. I bet we each had at least 4 drinks. What would that have cost at a bar? Quite a lot!! Seems to me that it's a reasonable figure.

I'm all for profit, but MORE THAN DOUBLING the cost of the true open bar package is just plain crazy.

But, hey, it's their company. They can do as they wish. They just won't be getting at least 36 more people's money in January. And, no, I'm not going to resort to packing rum runners now. I'm really not that big of a drinker!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is simply a revenue enhancer. Since CCL has such cheap rates right now, they have to get revenue somewhere. I don't like it, but can't blame them for getting what they can, when they can.

Well, unless you're a chug a lugger, it's not even worth it. They've out priced themselves.

ude8uhu8.jpggydy6eba.jpg

Under $20 for an hour open bar is really not that bad .Most people can drink 2 drinks in a hour socially add the open bar scenario and its a "wedding" and people DRINK ;)

Does it include any food or entertainment?

I love it that their is a mandatory gratuity ;)

Under $20 for an hour open bar is really not that bad .Most people can drink 2 drinks in a hour socially add the open bar scenario and its a "wedding" and people DRINK ;)

Does it include any food or entertainment?

I love it that their is a mandatory gratuity ;)

2 beers...they serve a 12 oz beer that normally is 4.95...not worth it now. No food, no entertainment.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I'm a non drinker .. So I don't understand the need in having a open bar for a mg will they not provide bar service for anyone wishing to drink?

Im guessing its more like a guarantee so they make some sort of profit. Additional staff is needed for everything from bartenders to cleaning staff to clean the mess up and maybe a sound tech for the music