How much money would you pay to cruise with your best friend?

Mrs.Naughty

My dog gets sick just riding around in a car for more than a few minutes. I can't imagine subjecting her to the threat of seasickness. She would be miserable.

I don't think taking a dog on a ship for a vacation is in the best interest of the dog or the passengers. It might make the owner feel nice, but that's all. It's just not a good idea, on any level.

How does that work? I think if you bring a dog into UK, it must be quarantined for 6 months. Do you think they still do this for dogs flying in to take TA, or let them transfer from plane to ship?

I don't know which countries are covered by this, but the UK now has a 'pets passport' scheme, which allows reciprocal travel for dogs between the UK and countries participating in the scheme, without the need for any quarantine. Apart from details of the dog, the passport document contains certificates showing that the animal has been inoculated against rabies and various other conditions. This scheme has been operating for some years now.

Hi,

I'm the author of Cruising With a Service Dog, located in Special Interest Cruising-Disabled Cruising, here on Cruise Critic.

My retired dog Brenda had completed her 15th cruise on various cruiselines and to many different countries. My Successor Dog, Horton, has just completed his 3rd cruise, all on Princess. Brenda spends most of her days, at the age of 14, at home sleeping on her favorite couch. I call her my "Betty White" of Service Dogs.

An ESD [Emotional Support Dog] has NO PUBLIC ACCESS, this means he/she may not go onboard a cruiseship, into a super market or any other public place other than a hospital or living in an an apartment, where normally dogs are NOT permitted.

A certified Service/Working Dog can NOT be separated from it's human partner. So, in this light, it can not be quarantined. There is lots and lots of paperwork that must be completed for the dog to make it to a cruiseship or be able to sit at the feet of his handler in an airplane.

The DOJ and the ADA protect the handler, therefore protecting the dog.

There is no such thing as a Service Cat, Service Iguana or Service Monkey. The DOJ is now looking into licensing the minature horse since it can be trained to do "tasks" just like a dog. Weighs no more than a large dog, can be potty trained and is very quiet.

The miracle that happens when a handler and a dog "connect" and become one is a beautiful dance. The freedom, safety and independence that this amazing animal provides his human is truly joyful and remarkable.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have in regard to my dogs, cruising or just travel in general.

When I first applied for a Service Dog from Canine Companions for Independence back in 2000, the first thing I said was that the dog MUST be a good traveler! And, boy are they! From boats to trains, airplanes, hot air balloons, sky tram ways and more.

Hi,

There is no such thing as a Service Cat, Service Iguana or Service Monkey.

I know a quad with a capuchin who would disagree that there is no such thing as a service monkey. does everything from tying shoes to wiping Dad's face when he has dinner.

I know a quad with a capuchin who would disagree that there is no such thing as a service monkey. does everything from tying shoes to wiping Dad's face when he has dinner.

Forgive me, what I meant to say was; a Service Monkey does not have public access rights but they do an amazing job at taking care of their handlers in their home environment.

I have the deepest respect for these animals.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

So then you're saying the preppy girl in the tight jeans and high heels that I saw in the bank (about 2 years ago) with her "service goat" wasn't real? Shocking!

Oh, I heard she owned a petting zoo. Hmmmm.

I have to say I was pretty surprised that the bank allowed it. It was a small branch which I suspect only allowed it because she was a regular from the sound of it.

p.s. I asked why they allowed the goat and that was the answer I got.

While I loved my dog beyond belief (she's since passed), I would not have paid to take her on a ship! Sorry! It's just not the appropriate place for an animal! She would not have been happy at all.....used to having her yard, grass, squirrels, etc.....

I agree with you completely.

A certified Service/Working Dog can NOT be separated from it's human partner. So, in this light, it can not be quarantined.

I do hope you do not permit the dog to sleep on the bed. I know several people who are highly allergic to dogs.

Edited by gillianrose

I do hope you do not permit the dog to sleep on the bed. I know several people who are highly allergic to dogs.

You seem to spend an awful lot of time worrying about what others do. Can't wash your diving gear, can't put you dog on the bed. Can't have sex in inappropriate places. It is wondrous that you are even able to travel with all of the phobias you have of others "doing stuff" in the cabin/space before you.

How on earth do you manage? I thought so many others were judgmental - but you, you take the cake! It seems when people call you on your comments we never hear from you again on that thread. You find another one in which to condemn people's behavior.

Forgive me, what I meant to say was; a Service Monkey does not have public access rights but they do an amazing job at taking care of their handlers in their home environment.

I have the deepest respect for these animals.

well my friend has NEVER been refused at any public area.. first time I met the guy was at a concert and the second time was at a restaurant and Diego was with him tucking in the napkin.

wow. FTR the cruiselines( and the hotel industry) know enough to DEEP CLEAN after a service animal leaves.

even my podunk little chain hotel in Virginia Beach would replace all the linens( yes even the curtains ) and machine wash the carpet.

would it ruin your delusion to know that in most cases a properly trained and vetted Service animal is CLEANER than your average household pet.. as in regular bathing, grooming and treating for fleas and other icky parasites?

wow. FTR the cruiselines( and the hotel industry) know enough to DEEP CLEAN after a service animal leaves.

even my podunk little chain hotel in Virginia Beach would replace all the linens( yes even the curtains ) and machine wash the carpet.

would it ruin your delusion to know that in most cases a properly trained and vetted Service animal is CLEANER than your average household pet.. as in regular bathing, grooming and treating for fleas and other icky parasites?

Nothing for nothing, but my dogs (household pets) get the same amount of grooming and care as a service dog would.

I don't allow them in furniture, and also see no reason to clean draperies after a dog has been in a room. Smoker, yes. Dog? Why?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Nothing for nothing, but my dogs (household pets) get the same amount of grooming and care as a service dog would.

I don't allow them in furniture, and also see no reason to clean draperies after a dog has been in a room. Smoker, yes. Dog? Why?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Allergens might be decreased by grooming and cleaning, but a dog's allergens will be there nonetheless - and will cling to any porous surface like fabric (or even plastic) drapery. Like cigarette smoke, allergens are airborne, so even if your dog hasn't been on the drapery, it's allergens will have been.

wizard-of-roz

There is no such thing as a Service Cat, Service Iguana or Service Monkey. The DOJ is now looking into licensing the minature horse since it can be trained to do "tasks" just like a dog. Weighs no more than a large dog, can be potty trained and is very quiet.

Since you offered to answer questions, some of this has piqued my interest and I have a few about your post.

1. Does the ADA have any application on cruise ships? They are generally not U.S. flagged.

2. Same question regarding the DOJ. Does it have any jurisdiction over cruise ships?

3. I was unaware that horses of any size could be house broken, as they are range animals. How is this possible?

It's not pleasant to be allergic to dogs when some of them are allowed in the public venue, I'm sure!

Sometimes a Service Dog MUST be on the bed to "alert" their human to the sound of a fire alarm, the phone ringing or someone at the door. When they're saving the life of their human partner all allergy problems are insignificant.

So then you're saying the preppy girl in the tight jeans and high heels that I saw in the bank (about 2 years ago) with her "service goat" wasn't real? Shocking!

Oh, I heard she owned a petting zoo. Hmmmm.

I have to say I was pretty surprised that the bank allowed it. It was a small branch which I suspect only allowed it because she was a regular from the sound of it.

p.s. I asked why they allowed the goat and that was the answer I got.

Had you known "the law" you, as a customer of the bank, could have insisted that the goat be removed!

well my friend has NEVER been refused at any public area.. first time I met the guy was at a concert and the second time was at a restaurant and Diego was with him tucking in the napkin.

It's wonderful to read and see such animals assisting their humans and making their life so much more complete.

If Diego was permitted to assist in the public venue it was definitely at the discretion of the venue in which they were. I, personally, applaud a restaurant or concert hall that does not question these folks and their assistant animal partners.

If an animal is truly being helpful to someone and not being a nuisance to others around him I would want them to be allowed everywhere the person is allowed. Unfortunately, I don't write the laws that are mandated to each of us.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of the amazing monkey and what he does for his human.

wizard-of-roz

Since you offered to answer questions, some of this has piqued my interest and I have a few about your post.

1. Does the ADA have any application on cruise ships? They are generally not U.S. flagged. When a cruiseship disembarks from a US port the laws of the US apply to the vessel.

2. Same question regarding the DOJ. Does it have any jurisdiction over cruise ships? Same answer. The DOJ trumps all local laws, it is under Federal jurisdiction.

3. I was unaware that horses of any size could be house broken, as they are range animals. How is this possible?

Minature horses, by the nature of their size, have the capability of being trained to do anything. Pushing open a door to go outside to potty is a very, very small part of their intelligence. Standing at a door to alert their owner to their need to go outside is also a very simple task for these wonderful little beings.

My Service Dog Horton weighs 90lbs, stands as high as a minature horse and, if I'm lucky will live a long life, for a Lab of 14 years. My retired Lab, at home, is 14 and I watch her breathe when she's sleeping, like you would a newborn child.

The minature horse can work well into it's 20th year and can live a wonderful life past the age of 25. Can you imagine, having an amazing animal partner for that long?

It's one of the most difficult parts of working with a Service Dog; their lifespans are so short. As all of you, who have watched your beloved pets go into death are well aware of!!!!!

Losing a working partner, a Service Dog, who has allowed you to go into the world and be postive and hopeful for your future, is the most painful process that you can ever imagine!

Hi,

I'm the author of Cruising With a Service Dog, located in Special Interest Cruising-Disabled Cruising, here on Cruise Critic.

My retired dog Brenda had completed her 15th cruise on various cruiselines and to many different countries. My Successor Dog, Horton, has just completed his 3rd cruise, all on Princess. Brenda spends most of her days, at the age of 14, at home sleeping on her favorite couch. I call her my "Betty White" of Service Dogs.

An ESD [Emotional Support Dog] has NO PUBLIC ACCESS, this means he/she may not go onboard a cruiseship, into a super market or any other public place other than a hospital or living in an an apartment, where normally dogs are NOT permitted.

A certified Service/Working Dog can NOT be separated from it's human partner. So, in this light, it can not be quarantined. There is lots and lots of paperwork that must be completed for the dog to make it to a cruiseship or be able to sit at the feet of his handler in an airplane.

The miracle that happens when a handler and a dog "connect" and become one is a beautiful dance. The freedom, safety and independence that this amazing animal provides his human is truly joyful and remarkable.

The hoops you have to jump through to get into Hawaii with a service dog:

KEY POINTS FOR QUALIFYING AS A SERVICE DOG OR AN EXEMPTED GUIDE DOG

The dog must have current rabies vaccination. (Documentation of the vaccination must include the product name, the lot or serial number, and the expiration date of the lot.)

The dog must have an electronic microchip implanted for identification.

Prior to arrival the dog must have passed one OIE-FAVN test after 12 months of age, with a level of 0.5 I.U. rabies antibody or greater. The laboratory will not perform the tests unless the microchip number accompanies the test request form. A passing test result is valid for three (3) years.

The dog must have a standard health certificate issued not more than 30 days prior to arrival in Hawaii.

For a service dog, there must be a physician's statement which certifies as to the disability, and that the service dog provides assistance having to do with that disability and documentation of training, or a certificate of training as a service dog by a training program accredited by Assistance Dogs International, Inc., or a service dog training program with equally rigorous administrative, operational and training standards.

To prevent delays on arrival, it is strongly advised that all required documents be sent to the Rabies Quarantine Branch well ahead of your intended arrival date. Information can be mailed to the Animal Quarantine Station, 99-851 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, HI 96701 or faxed to (808) 483-7161. Staff may be contacted by telephone (808) 483-7151 or (808) 837-8092 or e-mail: rabiesfree@hawaii.gov to assist your with preparations.

The Rabies Quarantine Branch must receive notification at least 24 hours in advance of arrival information and location where the dog will be staying. Information can be faxed to 808-483-7161.

On arrival in Hawaii, the dog must be brought by the airline to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility for verification of compliance with the above requirements and examination of the dog for external parasites. If all is in order, the dog will be released at that point.

Qualified Guide dog and Service dog users may request inspection in the terminal at Honolulu International Airport between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, by notifying the Rabies Quarantine Branch 7 days or more before arriving. In these cases, a “Notice of Terminal Inspection” with tracking number will be issued and sent to the user. To avoid confusion and delays, this Notice must be presented to airline representatives upon arrival in Hawaii. After inspection, if all is in order, the dog will be released.

If you have questions, please contact:

Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Animal Quarantine Station

99-951 Halawa Valley Street

Aiea, Hawaii 96701-5602

Telephone (808) 483-7151

FAX (808) 483-7161

E-mail: rabiesfree@hawaii.gov

Notice the certification requirements and the fact that the animal must be delivered by the airline/cruise ship to the quarantine station.

So the state does require proof of the certification and who authorizes it.

Many state that it's illegal to ask for proof and this says otherwise. Also notice it requires the owner and service animal to be separated.

Also notice it requires the owner and service animal to be separated.

I didn't see that in there. It says that the dog must be inspected, but it says nothing about where the dog's human is during that time. I would assume that he/she would be right there with the dog.

I find it hard to imagine that Hawaii, or any other state, would be allowed to separate a service dog from his owner, as this would surely be a violation of the ADA.