Best time to book to get less than 200%

ptcgal

I booked a solo on the Legend of the Seas 12 day repo on Nov 3, 2014 - Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale for 140%. Kept on checking the price in hopes of a drop in price. BTW - it's my first solo. The price for pp has remained the same but the solo price has jumped to 200%. I booked on 8/6/13. Is it better to book far out to get a better deal as a solo? I thought that perhaps the solo price would drop closer in to sail time. What do most folks do to try to beat the dreaded supplement?

What do most folks do to try to beat the dreaded supplement?

I, for one, no longer worry about it. I look for cruises that I can afford, generally less than $200 per day (including any "supplement") for something better than an inside cabin. I tend to book after the "final payment" date.

Edited by mtwingcpa

The time to get the best deal is generally right after final payment date--but if the ship is selling very well, there may not be a decrease then. Plus you will be less flexible with any flights because you have less time to find a bargain there.

But as the previous response said, avoiding a higher % solo supplement is not the whole story so far as getting a good price. It's one way to get a better price, but watching for bargain fares (even at a 200% supplement) is another.

There's just no way to guarantee what fares will do or when. You've got lots and lots of time before final payment date though, so just check the price on your cruise every couple days and jump if the price is ever better than you signed up for.

Thanks so much. I had decided to look for cruises that I wanted to go as a deciding factor since I could not afford to take many cruises a year. Retired and on a budget. I guess I will just keep watch on the prices. Just good to know that I will have to do faux bookings as a solo to see if the price drops. I have my eye on a trans atlantic out of Barcelona for Barcelona for 2015. So grateful to CC members for all the info for newbes solos. You give us courage and advice that is invaluable.

I agree with everyone else; the single supplement should only be one factor. Your goal is to find cruises you're interested in at a price you're willing to pay. Then watch for price drops, and be proactive when you see them. I booked a November TA from Barcelona earlier this year, and within a 2 week span, the price dropped 3 times! I ended up saving over $300 and in a balcony cabin for $600 on a 14-night cruise!

There's a great thread under the Solo Cruisers forum that you should follow: "Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains"...Folks will often share good deals they have found. Good luck!

I agree with the other folks and I don't even look at the SS anymore.

I look at the total price of the cruise and if that amount is within my

budget. The supplement is always there.......it is just the way things

are......I love cruising too much to worry about it any longer. It is what

it is.......

If the itinerary, timing and price are good for me? Then I book it:)

I agree with Lois and the other posters, find a cruise you like and look at the total price, not what the SS percentage is. Some cruise lines only have a 25% SS, but their cruises are sometimes 3 or 4 more times expensive to begin with. Yes the SS is lower but you end up paying over twice as much for the cruise. It might be a more luxurious cruise line but double the price, so take the SS % with a grain of salt and look at the total price and if you are happy with that, then go for it.

As far as the TA and when to book them, I have done a couple of them and have found the best prices close to the final payment date, as the ship will know how full or empty they are and then price accordingly. If you want a specific cabin then book early, but otherwise about 90 days out will get you aboard at a good rate, as ships are not usually full on a TA. I agree with the poster who said check the cruise line airfares for a TA as I have seen some good fares on them and it is a big part of the price.

Thanks. I am doing a lot of research into my dream cruises - TA, Norwegian Fjords, Mediterranean, etc. I think that if I know what trips appeal to me then when I see a good deal, I can jump on it. I've read about airfare suggestions on the "cruise air" threat on CC site. Great info.

Have always wanted to do the Canada -FL repo. Have watched the pricing for years, particularly on Princess. Double pricing comes down to $700-800 at end. Especially attractive solo rates seem to come on repos and other cruises where they have just one to sell, like Transatlantics. Always a bunch of solo cruisers on TAs.

• 2 weeks later...
I booked a solo on the Legend of the Seas 12 day repo on Nov 3, 2014 - Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale for 140%. Kept on checking the price in hopes of a drop in price. BTW - it's my first solo. The price for pp has remained the same but the solo price has jumped to 200%. I booked on 8/6/13. Is it better to book far out to get a better deal as a solo? I thought that perhaps the solo price would drop closer in to sail time. What do most folks do to try to beat the dreaded supplement?

I've decided a solo supplement is something you have to just live with and move on and not worry about it - same as hotels - price is per room not per person. Better solo than sharing with someone else that semi spoils your vacation. Solo travelling has more advantages than disadvantages.

I'm a teacher, a solo, avid cruiser with a somewhat limited budget and unlimited bucket list. There's a TA site I use to check the single supplement, and then I call the cruise line directly. We can't recommend TA sites, so just begin your research by googling single cruises. I love NCL epic but a little bored with it, and went to Mediterranean for 12 days on RCCL for $799, and will try a studio on RCCL Serenade in February...but I think NCL does the best overall for solos cuz of the lounge area....IMHO...

I've decided a solo supplement is something you have to just live with and move on and not worry about it - same as hotels - price is per room not per person. Better solo than sharing with someone else that semi spoils your vacation. Solo travelling has more advantages than disadvantages.

That's the way I look at it. If I can afford the cost (with the supplement) then I will go for it. If it is more than I can or want to pay, I'll keep looking for another cruise, different ports, different line, etc.

Having a cabin to yourself and not having to cater to someone else's whims is priceless.