Just Dessert Please

MrPaulAR

We had it on the buffet only once...it was on the Conquest Feb. 2011, the night we left Jamaica headed for Grand Cayman. It was good, not so warm, not as delicious as what we had in the MDR but still good. We ate out by the Seaside Theatre and watched "This Is It" (Michael Jackson).

On our first cruise, we ate equally in the MDR and buffet. We had anytime dining. On the last night of our cruise, the dessert was baked Alaska. My hubby prefers the buffet so he won that night. So after a while we made our way up to the MDR for dessert and the table next to us commented, "every child's dream, ice cream for dinner." So I told them that we had already eaten but I wanted baked Alaska since it wasn't offered on the buffet. And the guy at the table next to us said "what buffet?" Granted, it was a 5 night cruise, but he didn't know there were other dining options. Several cruises later, we still stop by the MDR for just 1 item. And it's never been a problem. In fact, our last cruise, my 9 yo son wanted to eat at Camp Carnival but really wanted creme brûlée. So he accompanied us to the MDR. My hubby and I ordered dinner and my son ordered just dessert. They brought his dessert with our salads. He ate then left us for CC.

Can you pull off the same idea in the MDR with late seating? Wouldn't want to hold up others at the table but love the idea of buffet followed by WCMC in MDR which is my dessert du jour every day:D Could I simply advise wait staff that we'll be back for dessert only:confused:

No reason you shouldn't be able to, especially if you come in a little late for it. (Getting it at the beginning of the meal might annoy the wait staff, as the set times are designed to run with certain courses at certain times- grabbing something out of schedule is a pain for them).

I think it would be polite to let the wait staff know ahead of time, as you suggested.

Edited by skittl1321

Can I go to dinner and get just the warm chocolate melting cake? Skip the meal.

I have anytime dining to and usually get there when they up open but I think that would be a bad strategy if doing this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

LOL, I don't know why you would want to but I suppose you could. They also have WCMC on lido at the buffet USUALLY, at least they used to. IMO, it is not as good as mdr but it should be there. I would not even be able to eat a melting cake without food first as it is very rich and sweet and would proably be too much sugar at once. Besides, mdr food is usually good so why not get some of it if you are going to make the effort to go to the dining room anyway.

It is really strange that I saw this post tonight...I had dinner with a friend of mine that just got back from her first cruise..it was on the Fascination..she said they went to the MDR only 2 nights but had the WMCC all 5 nights and I asked her how....she said they picked up the phone called the MDR .....ordered two and then went down and got them and brought them back to her cabin...she said she saw lots of people doing this. I am going on my 10th cruise in 10 days (my husband passed away with a massive heart attack on 9-10-13 and this cruise was already booked and paid for) he would have LOVED knowing this...we normally only go to the MDR 1 or 2 nights at the most because he loved the buffet....oh how he would have loved knowing that we could have had dinner at the buffet and called and ordered a WMCC from the MDR for dessert.....I had seen posts on cruise critic lately about people stating you could get them to go.......but until my friend told me this tonight I haven't known anyone that has done it....it seems like a win/win situation for Carnival to me...they have to serve less food in the MDR - people just get their favorite dessert to go:)

Cant remember which ship but can narrow it down to Glory ,Liberty or Valor

My thoughts were they maybe made too many and the leftovers went to the buffet

WCMC was on Lido buffet every night for dinner when we were on the Liberty. Although this was back in 2010......

YAHTZEE is right!

I have never been fortunate enough to see it at the buffet. :D

If I remember correctly it was formal night and we didn't feel like dressing up so decided to grab a bite at the buffet after our nap :) and we had the dining room to ourselves pretty much

If I remember correctly it was formal night and we didn't feel like dressing up so decided to grab a bite at the buffet after our nap :) and we had the dining room to ourselves pretty much

Thanks for the info!

MY DD (13) likes to grab something from the buffet before bed everynight, so we will make a point to look for it, not that I need one. :eek:

Edited by tonit964

It is really strange that I saw this post tonight...I had dinner with a friend of mine that just got back from her first cruise..it was on the Fascination..she said they went to the MDR only 2 nights but had the WMCC all 5 nights and I asked her how....she said they picked up the phone called the MDR .....ordered two and then went down and got them and brought them back to her cabin...she said she saw lots of people doing this. I am going on my 10th cruise in 10 days (my husband passed away with a massive heart attack on 9-10-13 and this cruise was already booked and paid for) he would have LOVED knowing this...we normally only go to the MDR 1 or 2 nights at the most because he loved the buffet....oh how he would have loved knowing that we could have had dinner at the buffet and called and ordered a WMCC from the MDR for dessert.....I had seen posts on cruise critic lately about people stating you could get them to go.......but until my friend told me this tonight I haven't known anyone that has done it....it seems like a win/win situation for Carnival to me...they have to serve less food in the MDR - people just get their favorite dessert to go:)

First off - I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully this cruise will help with healing and still help with the wonderful memories of your prior vacations together.

With that said -

I have spotted the magical gooey goodness before on the Legend in the buffet. We NEVER eat at the buffet for dinner and always hit the dining room. One year however when I traveled with my family, my mom wasn't well for the 2nd formal night and we skipped it. We did see it on that ship.

• 2 weeks later...