Rotterdam 11 days in the Med trip review w/photos

Lisah101

Crazy long week week at work and then our community garage sale yesterday along with cleaning the garage and cars, lead to an exhausting week.

Today I have a bit of time for me, then groceries, laundry, ironing, mop floors, make diner, pay bills. I want to be back on vacation!!!!

OK, ramblings complete, here is the continuation of our trip report.

We checked into the hotel early and the room wasn't ready so they held our bags and we explored the town. We had the tourist map from the front desk and headed across the river to no where in particular. The hotel was in Trastevere so most everything was on the other side of the river.

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

We found some ruins in the middle of a plaza and stopped to look.

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

We walked around a bit and stopped to read some of the posted signs. As we were reading, I noticed number 1 - according to this, we were standing only 20 feet from the place where Julius Caesar was murdered!

IMG_1751.jpg

I always pictured the big Forum and Coloseum when I thought of Julius Caesar, but according to these dates - those weren't built until after his death - history lesson learned!

Here is the photo of the spot as we understood it from the map.

IMG_1746.jpg

Then, more photos of the ruins.

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

We were starting to get hungry but this was a very busy area so we thought just a coffee and a snack until we get further away from the tourist stuff.

Thought this was cute:

IMG_1765.jpg

We opted for pastries again since we don't eat them much at home.

IMG_1766.jpg

We headed back towards the hotel, browsing along the way and we did talk to this gentleman for a bit about leather goods.

IMG_1767.jpg

The walk back - noticed lots of tourists about:

IMG_1770.jpg

Then some meandering

IMG_1772.jpg

And we stopped for lunch to have Terry's favorite - Pizza!

IMG_1773.jpg

We asked Albert at the front desk for a dinner recommendation he they offered Da Fabrizio. We were a bit early so we sat on the bench in front of a church which was just across the street and watched the people go by before our 7pm dinner reservation which is also when the restaurant opened.

I had pasta with Porcini mushrooms and pesto and it was VERY good while DH had spaghetti. We were so full from these that we couldn't manage a main course.

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

I ordered a glass of house red and they gave me a small bottle, but its OK, I finished it!

IMG_1793.jpg

After dinner, I took a few photos while leaving - one of the restaurant and one of a table up front which looked like where they put together the antipasti plates.

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

We walked down for Gelato, then back to the hotel:

IMG_1796.jpg

The next morning we had the hotel buffet breakfast which was very good - I took lots of photos the next day so they will be coming soon.

Our plan for today was the Forum and Colosseum. I knew from reading other posts to go to the Forum first as the ticket lines were shorter so we walked and walked and walked.

The street cleaners were using these brooms.

IMG_1800.jpg

More walking

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

It took us 45 minute to find the ticket booth at the forum as the one marked on the map had moved to the other side. It was chaotic there and still had a long line - we waiting about 20 min to buy a ticket, then it was a pushing match to get through the turnstile to gain entrance. No pamphlets or material available other than an additional audio tour to purchase so I downloaded Rick Steve's guide to the forum and that was well worth it!

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

Statues of the Vestal Virgins all missing their heads

IMG_1825.jpg

We finally found the exit and walked to the Colosseum next where the lines were a bit more organized and we were able to breeze through quickly. There was a VERY long line for those who needed to buy tickets however so we did plan that one right.

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

We used the Rick Steve's audio guide for the Colosseum which was very entertaining and informative.

As we started the walk back from the Colosseum to our hotel, I just happen to see this along the road.

IMG_1854.jpg

Thought it was amazing to see so much history in every glance or corner we explored.

It was after 2pm, we hand't had lunch yet and were very tired, but decided we wanted to get back to Trastevere before having lunch. We walked quickly and arrived at L'Insalata Ricca about 2:30. They were gracious and explained they were closing in about 20 min but would be happy to serve us. we ordered salads, ate quickly and went back for a nap. They had great salads!

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

I took a few random photos of the hotel as we headed to our room.

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

I took a long hot bath to soak my aching feet and then had a nap. We changed for dinner and went downstairs. Here is a photo of the hotel courtyard in the evening.

IMG_1861.jpg

And the reception desk.

IMG_1862.jpg

We asked for dinner recommendations but then as we walked, decided to keep going to find something other than the place the hotel suggested.

We chose Taverna Della Scala because it had a beautiful outdoor patio. HOwever, they insisted there was no room outside and we must sit inside.

We should have argued or left (I could see 2 empty tables outside).

We ordered dinner.

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

I ordered Spinach Ravioli and Terri had Spaghetti.

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

After tasting the house red last night, Terry got brave and orderd wine - they asked if we wanted 1/2 liter or a whole liter. Terry said we could handle a liter. It wasn't nearly as good as last night and pasta was a bit pasty and the flavors were flat to me. To each their own!

Terry and I did our best to finish the liter, but we were unsuccesful, although he had fun trying!

IMG_1871.jpg

We decided to skip dessert and go back to our favorite Gelato Shop, Old Bridge.

The gentleman working that night was very friendly and managed to figure out what we wanted even though I could not pronounce the tag on the display and he didn't speak any English. At that point you figure any Gelato in Italy is going to be good so just take whatever they give you! BTW... it was awesome!

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

We ate Gelato and wandered around Trastevere a bit. Earlier I went back to the purse shop and couldn't decide which one I wanted so a nice English lady suggested I buy both. So I did. Now on our way home from dinner and Gelato, I found another one and bought that. I've purchased 1 purse in the past 4 years and today I bought 3!

We went back to our bench outside the church, watched the people, enjoyed our gelato and canoodled a bit.

Terry on our bench

IMG_1876.jpg

The view from our bench

IMG_1875.jpg

The hotel, Donna Camilla Savelli was a wonderful place to stay! Breakfast is including and was very extensive. The next morning, we were down early for breakfast and I took advantage of the opportunity to get photos before it got busy. Many of my picture a bit off color, but I have not enhanced or edited any of them. The color is different because I sometimes choose to turn off the flash so I don't bother other guests or patrons.

Hotel Breakfast

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

There was only one other couple at breakfast at this time and after I took a few pictures, the woman came over to me with her camera and said she wanted to take picture but wasn't sure if she should but since I was.... she would and we both continued to snap away!

Our plan for the day included a group tour through GreenLine that was recommended by the hotel. We wanted to see St Peter's Basilica but heard the lines to get through security were insane, but as a group tour, there were quick entry points. The tour also included highlights of Rome.

Before leaving the hotel, you drop off your room key with the reception desk, then pick it up again when you get back. This was our room key.

IMG_1893.jpg

The tour picked us up at our hotel and took us to the actual meeting place where the tour started and we boarded the bus. We heard some of the history of Rome before being dropped off by the driver. There were several tour guides who split us up by language and the rest of the morning was a walking tour.

We saw the Trevi fountain and Terry thew in his coin.

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

My second chance to try roasted chestnuts, but the tour guide was on the move and I was afraid of getting left behind. Someday I will have to try these.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

We walked through this building and I'm ashamed to say I don't remember anything they told us about this place.

IMG_1903.jpg

and more walking past the government buildings and consulates.

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

and more demonstrators

IMG_1909.jpg

I saw this as we were walking, a coffee light fixture - I need one of these as I love my coffee!

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

And finally - the Pantheon! Note the screen scarf on the antenna held high in the air on the right hand side of the photo - that was our tour guide.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg