South Pacific Cruising

1westover

We are very interested in one of the Oceania Pacific Isles cruises in March or April of 2014.

Due to unavoidable circumstances, we have not been able to confirm until now. We are interested in March or April and there is limited availability.

This would be our first visit to the South Pacific, so depending on help from others about the timing on this.

Thank you for you knowledgable information.

:)

We are very interested in one of the Oceania Pacific Isles cruises in March or April of 2014.

Due to unavoidable circumstances, we have not been able to confirm until now. We are interested in March or April and there is limited availability.

This would be our first visit to the South Pacific, so depending on help from others about the timing on this.

We would look at the following year and book the cabin in the category we want

on the day booking opens. Oceania does not usually have a large selection of cabins when close to sailing unless your not fussy and will take what's left.

Good luck.

What is it more specifically that you would like to know or have help with?

When we were looking at the cruise options, we noticed most cruises sail January, February, March and April. We are well traveled and figured these months are prime time for the South Pacific.

We have not sailed since last Christmas due to health and ready to make some plans. This particular area would be new for us and way at the top of my list.:)

We choose not to travel if the weather is not conducive.

I would like advise on when to go and when not to go and any needed advise when confirming. We have the experience to work it, just not any personal advise from those who have travel before us.

Thank you

Here is a good place to check out historical data about temperatures, rainfall, etc:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/NTAA/2013/4/3/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Just put in the month your are interested in.

I think April is actually preferable to Jan/Feb as it is later in the summer/early Fall and a bit cooler, less humid and less rainy than in Jan/Feb.

This year we had our choice of two Tahitian Pearls cruises, one in January and one in April. Luckily we chose April. CC reviewers of the January cruise said they had rain almost every day. In April we had rain in Bora Bora and a quick shower in Raiatea/Tahaa. The rest of the time was sunny and pleasant.

We sailed in April and the weather was pretty good. It rained one day in Bora Bora but we still went out on a lagoon picnic. This past year was very very rainy according to the folks who live there so we were fortunate we didn't go in January. The islands no matter when you go are still hot and humid.

Thank you all for your valued contributions. Think we will move forward with April.

We were looking at Oceania. Any suggestions if we are going down the right path?

Thanks!!:)

99.99% of people on this board will tell you that you are going down the right path :D

Seriously, I think you will truly enjoy the experience and may even become addicted to Oceania (along with most of us here). :)

There are many devotees of Paul Gaugin as well for French Polynesia cruises - have you check on them?

I looked at Paul Gaugin, but the promotions seem to be on Oceania. We have sailed Azamara several times and I think the 2 are pretty equal.

Looking at South Pacific Isles, Picturesque Papeete and Tahitian Pearls.:)

If you can swing Paul Gaughin I would look into them. We had a great time on O but they sail the Marina which has 1250 people on board. These island are more suited to a smaller ship - just my opinion.

The only cruise available is the 14 day Oceania. I am wondering if that is too long. With this being our first visit to this area of the world, do you think it would be repetitious?

Also, a friend recently mentioned that Princess has 2 small ships that cruise French Polynesia. We are wondering, since the ships we have checked are so limited, how does Princess measure up in the market?

Thank you so much.

Sorry! Three cruise lines sail the R-7 ship...Azamara, Oceania and Princess. These ships have approximately 680 passengers. The typical passenger is well-traveled and not looking for the "bells and whistles" of lavish entertainment and other activities. They do expect very personalized service and excellent food.

On Azamara and Oceania, I would describe the decor as elegant and clubby. More dark rich woods and formal style. Princess has changed some of the "look" of their ship to the less formal Princess decor and the cuisine will be reflective of the Princess fare.

I personally like Oceania and Azamara, but would never turn down a Princess R-7 trip if trying to contain costs.

Sorry! Three cruise lines sail the R-7 ship...Azamara, Oceania and Princess. These ships have approximately 680 passengers. The typical passenger is well-traveled and not looking for the "bells and whistles" of lavish entertainment and other activities. They do expect very personalized service and excellent food.

On Azamara and Oceania, I would describe the decor as elegant and clubby. More dark rich woods and formal style. Princess has changed some of the "look" of their ship to the less formal Princess decor and the cuisine will be reflective of the Princess fare.

I personally like Oceania and Azamara, but would never turn down a Princess R-7 trip if trying to contain costs.

I agree with everything you say.

We have sailed in FP with the Tahitian Princess (now Ocean Princess) as well as on the Marina.

They are different experiences altogether (reflecting the price difference) but both very nice. After all, you cannot reasonably expect the same experience at half the price (or so) :)

Edited by Paulchili

When we were looking at the cruise options, we noticed most cruises sail January, February, March and April. We are well traveled and figured these months are prime time for the South Pacific.

We have not sailed since last Christmas due to health and ready to make some plans. This particular area would be new for us and way at the top of my list.:)

We choose not to travel if the weather is not conducive.

I would like advise on when to go and when not to go and any needed advise when confirming. We have the experience to work it, just not any personal advise from those who have travel before us.

Thank you

Ok, sailed there several times Dec-March is the hot humid rainy season.. daily rain. Understand that rain it the central and south pacific is not days long.. it is frequent heavy but short storms of less than an hour.

Sept and October are very good too for weather. Prime weather, that is low humidity clear days ( well you need to understand that it rains every day on most islands, just like Hawaii.) April /May.

As to ships I have sailed Royal Viking and Regent here with ships in the 600 to 700 range. The 1200 Oceania is about the max these ports and islands can accommodate in terms of services and mooring. All but Papeete are tender ports. THe Paul Gaugin is about 350 people has good food BUT it is not a cruise per se, in that it sail at night island to island and it is port intensive. Very little variety and tiny cabins. They only do round trips from Papetee..normaly 7 days.

Now consider how long and expensive it is to get to Tahiti and all that effort for a 7 day cruise is, well a waste. You just get settled in and pow! your off the ship headed to the airport.

The Oceania Marina offers, I think the best option with way better food, options, variety and schedules.

From experience ( 3 times) I would recommend you take a south pacific cruise which slowly introduces you to the region, slowly and has a good number of sea days so you can appreciate the vastness of the region as well as anticipate the next port while resting up from prior ones.

The islands are all primitive and little commercial development except for Bora and Tahiti. THey exude a raw beauty and charm un like the carribe. or the med.

The things to do in the region are all pretty much water oriented and seeing the islands from lagoon beaches or activities like diving and snorkeling are the main attractions and draw. Sadly the land is pretty blah and best enjoyed looking at it not on it.

Staying on land is obscenely expensive... and will run close to $1000 a day for food and room and getting around.

the Best option is of course a round trip from LA or San diego that hits the Marquseas, Tumoutous, Tahitian, Kiribati and Hawaiian islands. Holland America does that on a 1300 pax ship.

The next best is sailing to Tahiti from Sydney and on to LA

3rd best is Sydney to Tahiti and fly home

4th best is Fly to Tahiti and sail to Lima and fly home ( or NY)

Discovery by sea of any island is by and large way better than arriving in a 18 inch wide seat after 9 hours ( the shortest flight to Tahiti from LAX), in a metal tube....

That's my 2 cents....