Travel time between Princess lodges

MVPinBoynton

I am trying to figure how much travel time we will have while on our Princess land tour portion. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes for the below transfers:

Bus trip from Port in Whittier to Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge

Bus trip from Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge to Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge

Bus from Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge to Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge

Train from Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge to Fairbanks

Thanks for your help.

Edited by MVPinBoynton

Thanks for the info. That sounds shorter than I expected. Google is probably a non-stop estimate. I am assuming that the Princess buses probably stop along the way, at least for rest rooms, so it is probably a bit more. I haven't the slightest idea how long it takes to go around 120 miles on a train in Alaska. I keep looking for info in reviews about it; but haven't found any yet.

I would suggest you add at least 30 minutes to each of those times. Most of the highway is 2 lane and you can NOT count on continuous 65mph. The McKinley Lodge is also farther than what the above lists, which is Talkeetna.

And wrong information on the Denali/Fairbanks- which is 4 hours.

I agree with Budget Queen that the travel times provided by Google are somewhat optimistic. While it has been a number of years since we have taken the train from Denali to Fairbanks, my recollection is that it was about four hours (it takes from 2 to 2.5 hours to drive, depending on how many stops are made for photos).

Also the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner (http://www.newsminer.com) had an interesting front page article this morning on the scope of the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities work for this upcoming summer. It appears that there could be lengthly delays at times for those driving on the Parks Highway (from Anchorage to Fairbanks). My observation from someone who lives here is that the contractors will begin the work as soon as they can.

The paragraph of interest from the News-Miner for those traveling on the Parks Highway is below:

• Travelers on the Parks Highway are sure to encounter lengthy delays, thanks to at least six sections of the road that will be under construction between Fairbanks and Anchorage. That includes creating numerous passing lanes along a 140-mile stretch south of Nenana and building a new overpass at Broad Pass near Cantwell. A 13-mile stretch between the Denali National Park and Preserve entrance and Healy will also get a complete overhaul, with improved drainage, embankment construction and resurfacing.

I would suggest you add at least 30 minutes to each of those times. Most of the highway is 2 lane and you can NOT count on continuous 65mph. The McKinley Lodge is also farther than what the above lists, which is Talkeetna.

And wrong information on the Denali/Fairbanks- which is 4 hours.

Thanks again. I would have thought the train would be a lot faster than a bus. I am sure it is a lovely ride, so I don't mind it being longer.

I agree with Budget Queen that the travel times provided by Google are somewhat optimistic. While it has been a number of years since we have taken the train from Denali to Fairbanks, my recollection is that it was about four hours (it takes from 2 to 2.5 hours to drive, depending on how many stops are made for photos).

Also the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner (http://www.newsminer.com) had an interesting front page article this morning on the scope of the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities work for this upcoming summer. It appears that there could be lengthly delays at times for those driving on the Parks Highway (from Anchorage to Fairbanks). My observation from someone who lives here is that the contractors will begin the work as soon as they can.

The paragraph of interest from the News-Miner for those traveling on the Parks Highway is below:

• Travelers on the Parks Highway are sure to encounter lengthy delays, thanks to at least six sections of the road that will be under construction between Fairbanks and Anchorage. That includes creating numerous passing lanes along a 140-mile stretch south of Nenana and building a new overpass at Broad Pass near Cantwell. A 13-mile stretch between the Denali National Park and Preserve entrance and Healy will also get a complete overhaul, with improved drainage, embankment construction and resurfacing.

Thank you so much for the info. That is most interesting and makes me even happier I won't be driving.

The fastest the train can go is about 40mph due to the nature of the tracks.

Ah hah! That explains it. That should allow us to really enjoy the views from the train. I hope there are some nice views between Denali and Fairbanks. I don't know how it couldn't be, it's in Alaska. :)

Thanks again. I would have thought the train would be a lot faster than a bus. I am sure it is a lovely ride, so I don't mind it being longer.

If you check the Alaska Railroad schedule (http://www.alaskarailroad.com) the northbound train schedule has the trail leaving Denali at 4:00 PM and reaching Fairbanks at 8:00 PM. For years I frequently was held up in traffic as I drove home from work as I was driving north on University Avenue. That northbound train was crossing the tracks at 8:30 PM (and still had a distance to go before reaching the Fairbanks depot).

As Chenega as alluded, the train tracks are located on the flats and traverses through ice rich land. Hence, the train lumbers along. In contrast, the highway is located on higher ground and ridge tops, and is not traversing through frost heaves and damage caused by permafrost conditions (or, to be accurate, not at least not as many frost heaves).

Thank you so much for the info. That is most interesting and makes me even happier I won't be driving.

You have the wrong idea. The driving is, simple and easy. Wait to you see it. Nothing like being stuck in traffic, multiple lanes, etc like elsewhere. Mostly, just, 2 lane roads. You pass cars when needed, pull over when you want.

Construction is usually underestimated. I have been in line waiting for the pilot cars for an hour. You can NOT make marathon driving plans in Alaska. Always, allow plenty of time with driving in Alaska. People make big mistakes, with tight planning, especially with tours involved, allowing only the minimal amount of time to get there. I suggest when planning, figure on the average speed of 45mph. You also don't want to miss, example- a moose sightings look etc, because you are already late.

Edited by Budget Queen

If you check the Alaska Railroad schedule (http://www.alaskarailroad.com) the northbound train schedule has the trail leaving Denali at 4:00 PM and reaching Fairbanks at 8:00 PM. For years I frequently was held up in traffic as I drove home from work as I was driving north on University Avenue. That northbound train was crossing the tracks at 8:30 PM (and still had a distance to go before reaching the Fairbanks depot).

As Chenega as alluded, the train tracks are located on the flats and traverses through ice rich land. Hence, the train lumbers along. In contrast, the highway is located on higher ground and ridge tops, and is not traversing through frost heaves and damage caused by permafrost conditions (or, to be accurate, not at least not as many frost heaves).

So are you saying the train ride isn't that scenic?

Not what you are doing. It pretty much parallels the Parks Highway. There certainly is scenery, but it's also a lot of trees and plenty of wilderness. Between Anchorage and Fairbanks- the train really isn't any more scenic than the Parks Highway.

The stand out of the Alaska RR is Anchorage/Seward, by far.

You will love Alaska when someone else is doing the driving. We are independent travelers and had driven around on our own on prior trips. We finally did a cruise tour and loved it. The bus drivers double as tour guides and each one was knowledgable and informative.

You will probably stop for lunch in downtown Anchorage the day you drive up to McKinley lodge. We were en route from Copper River to Whittier and our bus stopped at the Captain Cook hotel, we were given a map listing eateries close by.

The drive to and from Kenai is magnificent.

Each train car had a Princess guide and server, our guide was one of the best we ever had on any trip. The time flew by.

You will love Alaska when someone else is doing the driving. We are independent travelers and had driven around on our own on prior trips. We finally did a cruise tour and loved it. The bus drivers double as tour guides and each one was knowledgable and informative.

You will probably stop for lunch in downtown Anchorage the day you drive up to McKinley lodge. We were en route from Copper River to Whittier and our bus stopped at the Captain Cook hotel, we were given a map listing eateries close by.

The drive to and from Kenai is magnificent.

Each train car had a Princess guide and server, our guide was one of the best we ever had on any trip. The time flew by.

Thanks for that additional info. It helps a lot. I can't wait till June gets here.

While what I may find scenic you may not. But in my opinion, the drive from Denali to Fairbanks is much more scenic than the train. On the drive, past Nenana, there are views from the ridgetops on the left of Minto Flats and toward the right of the massive Tanana River. On the train folks are just lumbering along through ice rich land (google "permafrost").

While what I may find scenic you may not. But in my opinion, the drive from Denali to Fairbanks is much more scenic than the train. On the drive, past Nenana, there are views from the ridgetops on the left of Minto Flats and toward the right of the massive Tanana River. On the train folks are just lumbering along through ice rich land (google "permafrost").

That doesn't look too exciting. Hopefully there are some mountain views in the distance. Since the train ride is the last leg of the cruise tour, I will have already already overloaded on beauty, so my eyes will be able to use the rest. :D

Mike, it looks like your land tour is similar to the one I have planned (with my parents, they chose, I am just along for the ride). My itinerary from Princess states the following travel times:

Bus trip from Port in Whittier to Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge: 10a-12:30p

Bus trip from Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge to Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge: 9a – 4:00p (Certainly hope there are a few stops in there or my Dad will go bezerk. When we get closer I will call Princess to ask UNLESS someone on CC knows the answer. :))

Bus from Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge to Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. For out trip this is where the train ride comes in, so we have a 1hr transfer to the rail and a little over 4hrs on the train.

Train from Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge to Fairbanks. For us we take the bus and it states 3hrs.

Hope this helps.

July can't come fast enough! Enjoy your trip!

and Sammiedawg is correct (I decided to call and ask now, rather than waiting. I am a little OCD in my planning for this). The bus will stop in Anchorage for about 1.5hrs for lunch.

Mike, it looks like your land tour is similar to the one I have planned (with my parents, they chose, I am just along for the ride). My itinerary from Princess states the following travel times:

Bus trip from Port in Whittier to Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge: 10a-12:30p

Bus trip from Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge to Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge: 9a – 4:00p (Certainly hope there are a few stops in there or my Dad will go bezerk. When we get closer I will call Princess to ask UNLESS someone on CC knows the answer. :))

Bus from Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge to Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. For out trip this is where the train ride comes in, so we have a 1hr transfer to the rail and a little over 4hrs on the train.

Train from Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge to Fairbanks. For us we take the bus and it states 3hrs.

Hope this helps.

July can't come fast enough! Enjoy your trip!

This is perfect! Just what I need to know. Thank you so much. I guess since I booked through a TA, I didn't get a full itinerary. Does the itinerary say which hotel they use in Fairbanks?

This is perfect! Just what I need to know. Thank you so much. I guess since I booked through a TA, I didn't get a full itinerary. Does the itinerary say which hotel they use in Fairbanks?

This is a common fault I have of cruisetours. There are details that people just do not expect and it can be very negative depending on the assumptions the purchaser made.

The cruisetours use several hotels in Fairbanks. Usually you don't find out until a month or 2 prior to your trip.

Does the itinerary say which hotel they use in Fairbanks?

Mike,

I booked directly through Princess and received the Itinerary in a matter of moments!:) Not sure what I would do if I didn't have the "detailed" itinerary. Budgetqueen is right, they don't tell you very much when you book the land portion, but we were ok with it. We knew we wanted 3 specific places with two days at Kenai and two at Denali, which is what we got, with a night at McKinley and two in Fairbanks. Which, after my rambling, leads me to your question.

The hotel listed on my itinerary in Fairbanks is "Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge", but it's my understanding they have more than one in Fairbanks to choose from.

AND, quickly without hijacking, Thank you Budgetqueen - I believe it was through your recommendation that I learned I should and could exchange out the national history tour in Denali for the Tundra Wildnerness Tour. I plan to do exactly that and so do my parents. So, thanks!!

Mike,

I booked directly through Princess and received the Itinerary in a matter of moments!:) Not sure what I would do if I didn't have the "detailed" itinerary. Budgetqueen is right, they don't tell you very much when you book the land portion, but we were ok with it. We knew we wanted 3 specific places with two days at Kenai and two at Denali, which is what we got, with a night at McKinley and two in Fairbanks. Which, after my rambling, leads me to your question.

The hotel listed on my itinerary in Fairbanks is "Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge", but it's my understanding they have more than one in Fairbanks to choose from.

Thanks for that info. I am going to see if I can get an itinerary directly from Princess now.