A 'safe' travel bag

Anubi

YES!!!! You must have read my mind. It was the passports I was most concerned about. Pacsafe it is then!!

Thanks to all for your replies. CC members are the best for information. :):)

yes, the one I purchased from Magelleans is slash proof, rfid, has zipper pocket on the front that hides the zipper and inner zipper is locking. I was impressed worked very well on my last trip.

I bought one of those 'safe purses'. It was so heavy and the strap so uncomfortable I purchased a regular purse on our trip and left the one with the metal in the strap in our hotel. So make sure you will be able to use it before you leave for your trip.

This has been my experience also. Try one out if you can. I use a Bagallini cross body. If I was going to be in a large busy city like Rome or Paris I would probably use the Pacsafe but the shoulder strap is very uncomfortable for me. You can purchase RFID sleeves for credit cards and passports. This is an example http://www.amazon.com/Identity-Stronghold-Blocking-Passport-Holding/dp/B00CMAA9X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383673277&sr=8-1&keywords=rfid+blocking+sleeve

Edited by Alaskanb

While I like the appearance of the Baggallini bag posted by Arusha, it is not clear to me that the fabric has the anti-slash mesh. Does anyone who owns one know?

As as to RFID protection, my husband has a travel wallet with RFID protection. We also always keep our credit cards in lightweight RFID sleeves, even at home. We also bought the lightweight sleeves from Amazon for our passports.

I have several Baggallini bags and love them. However, they do not have the anti-slash mesh and thus, in my opinion, are not suitable for travel.

I am seeing several styles of RDIF wallets to fit a passport and credit cards, but none say that they hold two. Does anyone have one? I want it small enough to hold the items, yet fit in my Pacsafe. Are some better than others as far as strength of blocking signals?

I am seeing several styles of RDIF wallets to fit a passport and credit cards, but none say that they hold two. Does anyone have one? I want it small enough to hold the items, yet fit in my Pacsafe. Are some better than others as far as strength of blocking signals?

http://www.magellans.com/rfid-blocking-passport-ticket-wallet

I purchased this one and used it when flying back to Michigan this summer...held my passport and my BF's passport, cc, a little cash, pen, boarding pass...Hung around neck and inside my jacket. And could still carry a purse too but had all the info right at hand for security check in it was wonderful.

Debbie

Also a Pacsafe fan with two notes:

1. It IS a bit heavy when full, but it also holds lots of stuff, including big wallet (which holds passports and big European bills without folding), small cosmetic bag, two kindles and two mini-I pads, the phone, smallish digital camera, all the extra little stuff we need ........ and I wonder why it's heavy?

2. It annoys me deeply......, because I've had it for several years and used it as my daily bag and the damned thing STILL looks good. No excuse for a new one!

Barb in so cal

Good night! No wonder it's heavy. :)

Not sure why you need to carry your Kindles when touring, but have you thought about putting a Kindle app on your Ipad and reading your books on there? That's what I do unless I am out in the sun on deck or at the beach. I use my Kindle out there. I do not carry my Ipad, cell phone or cosmetic bag around on tour, either. Just a lipstick and some hand sanitizer. Of course, my camera, also. ;)

I've yet to travel anywhere where I felt the need for a PacSafe or similar bag. This includes Barcelona, Paris, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Munich, Frankfurt, Tel Aviv, Cairo, Amman, Nairobi, San Juan PR, Hawaiian Islands, New York City, Chicago…Maybe I feel this way because I'm usually a solo traveler.

I have several cross-body bags from Sherpani, a daypack from Kipling, and miscellaneous bags I've picked up along the way. I just use whichever one I decide I need for what I'm going to be doing on my travels.

My credit card holder/wallet is RFID'd metal. Love it. I got it a few years ago on the Herrington Catalog website.

Edited by slidergirl

Good night! No wonder it's heavy. :)

Not sure why you need to carry your Kindles when touring, but have you thought about putting a Kindle app on your Ipad and reading your books on there? That's what I do unless I am out in the sun on deck or at the beach. I use my Kindle out there. I do not carry my Ipad, cell phone or cosmetic bag around on tour, either. Just a lipstick and some hand sanitizer. Of course, my camera, also. ;)

That list of what my purse can carry is a "worst-case" scenario - like when boarding a plane. But - it IS heavier than other purses when empty. Sorry I made it sound like I go around with tons of stuff all the time. My bad -

Barb in so cal

Another vote for a pac-safe. I love mine, carried everything I needed for 2 and half weeks around Europe. I bought mine at AAA with a discount. The advantage there was that I got to try them on before I made a decision. So I was comfortable with what I bought.