Gift for Room Stewards

niceguyneastbay

Typhoon1 is correct. The only gift they want is cash. Doubtful they want or need trinkets and trash (key rings, food, t-shirts, mugs etc) and they sure as heck don't have the room to store stuff in their tiny, shared cabins.

I was thinking items like See's Candies, secured packaged treats, things that they can enjoy between the room stewards or others. Ill bring more $$$ for them in addition to the regular gratuities.

Let them buy the snacks and treats they would like with the ca$h.

Stewards don't have a lot of storage space, and what they can, or would like to, eat may not be what you would pick out.

I know your heart's in the right place, but save yourself the trouble of shopping, and give what would mean most to the recipients.

Has anyone left gifts or treats for their room stewards? Just curious.

Yes, we left a gift of $40 for our room stewards on our recent 21 day cruise. Approximately $1 a day for each steward.

Edited by innlady1

When we cruise over Christmas we always give our room stewards and DR servers a card with a ten or twenty in it on the holiday. They are always so incredibly thankful...I do not think many people remember them that way. On ordinary trips, we will leave them tips when we disembark or when room service brings in a tray.

I was thinking items like See's Candies, secured packaged treats, things that they can enjoy between the room stewards or others. Ill bring more $$$ for them in addition to the regular gratuities.

I'll take the see's candies. Those are so good:D.

When we cruise over Christmas we always give our room stewards and DR servers a card with a ten or twenty in it on the holiday. They are always so incredibly thankful...I do not think many people remember them that way. On ordinary trips, we will leave them tips when we disembark or when room service brings in a tray.

That is very generous of you but keep in mind not all of them celebrate Christmas so I'd be a bit cautious about presenting them Christmas cards. Perhaps a nice thank you note with cash enclosed?

I'll take the see's candies. Those are so good:D.

I so agree. With all the fancy and expensive imported brands out there, good old domestic See's simply cannot be beat. We always pick up a box at the airport for any housewarming gifts we might need alone the way. Last box ended up being a gift for our wonderful Sister Cities guide in Kotor, Montenegro.

We all have our own special talents, but mine is being able to identify the fillings in at least 90% of all See's candies from their outside shape and signature markings after a life time of loving this brand. :p

When I was younger this meant being able to avoid the dreaded marzipan. Now that my tastes have matured a lot more, that is one of the first ones I go for, but only after taking all the marshmallow-caramel ones for myself first. I also had a pretty strong Bordeaux Creme stage too for years.

Edited by OlsSalt

I so agree. With all the fancy and expensive imported brands out there, good old domestic See's simply cannot be beat. We always pick up a box at the airport for any housewarming gifts we might need alone the way. Last box ended up being a gift for our wonderful Sister Cities guide in Kotor, Montenegro.

We all have our own special talents, but mine is being able to identify the fillings in at least 90% of all See's candies from their outside shape and signature markings after a life time of loving this brand. :p

When I was younger this meant being able to avoid the dreaded marzipan. Now that my tastes have matured a lot more, that is one of the first ones I go for, but only after taking all the marshmallow-caramel ones for myself first. I also had a pretty strong Bordeaux Creme stage too for years.

You're making me hungry...very hungry! :p

One cruise, I think it was on the Statendam, we had great stewards, and one was extremely interested in my pedometer. After I had used it for a few walks around the ship to measure what I was doing, I gave it to him, and said it was recommended that one walk 10,000 steps a day. He was intrigued, and after a couple of days he told me he walked more than that by 11 in the morning! Other than that gift, I have always found that money is the thing that they are there for!

We don't have sees in Canada so they are a special treat. The marshmallow caramel is my favorite.

One cruise, I think it was on the Statendam, we had great stewards, and one was extremely interested in my pedometer. After I had used it for a few walks around the ship to measure what I was doing, I gave it to him, and said it was recommended that one walk 10,000 steps a day. He was intrigued, and after a couple of days he told me he walked more than that by 11 in the morning! Other than that gift, I have always found that money is the thing that they are there for!

Something similar here...one steward admired my Canon digital...a small pocket camera. While in St. Thomas, I upgraded to a new one...so gave him my "old" camera. He was thrilled. In addition to cash of course...that's the thing they like best.

Oh my goodness,,,,,, I had forgotten about all the pedometers we have given out. I used to go buy a bunch of them before our cruises and can't tell you how many we gave away. Crew love them. We had one steward who would see mine on the dressing table each evening and couldn't figure out what it was. When he finally was so curious to ask and I gave him one, he was thrilled. A number of officers also clipped them to their waistband.... they loved seeing the miles they walk each day. Great little 'handout' I'd forgotten about. We used to wear a pedometer all the time while on vacation.

Mmmnnn Bordeaux.................my very favorite.

We are cruising over Christmas and I thought we'd do exactly this. I'm so looking forward to not being the chief cook and organiser over Christmas I want to thank them especially.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app