Most/Least popular ship sections

dawei

Wonder if I'm the only one who didn't know which sections of ships are most popular among the majority of cruisers? After noting my 3-stars, the friendly HAL rep on the phone was surprised that I didn't know (as in common knowledge) that amid ship is the most sought after cabin location, followed by the aft area in number two spot in popularity. Meanwhile, forward cabins are the least favorite.

Due to my DW's potential of motion sickness, we've always sought locations that are amid ship and as low as possible for the least amount of ship movement, and this has worked well for us. As for cabins well forward, we wound up with one on one occasion and were both not feeling well (to put it mildly), especially crossing the FL straits coming back from the Western Caribbean on one occasion.

Wonder if I'm the only one who didn't know which sections of ships are most popular among the majority of cruisers? After noting my 3-stars, the friendly HAL rep on the phone was surprised that I didn't know (as in common knowledge) that amid ship is the most sought after cabin location, followed by the aft area in number two spot in popularity. Meanwhile, forward cabins are the least favorite.

Due to my DW's potential of motion sickness, we've always sought locations that are amid ship and as low as possible for the least amount of ship movement, and this has worked well for us. As for cabins well forward, we wound up with one on one occasion and were both not feeling well (to put it mildly), especially crossing the FL straits coming back from the Western Caribbean on one occasion.

While we've never been "high and forward" I don't think I want to spend my cruise dollars to find out about the "motion of the ocean." We'll stick to our mid-ship cabin.

Hi dawei (sp?),

The most stable section on a ship like Vista is the third/fourth deck centre (Atrium bar if so...). Front desk (managers offices and the counter where the most of ship operations except navigation are conduct.

The rockiests sections are front then aft ship, eight deck (for the cabins)

Holacanada from Quebec city.

Next cruise on Noordam for the 21 days Collector Cruise / Turkey's At Sea...

Edited by holacanada

Clues can be seen by what the new cabin classifications will be by next summer. On Vistas and Signature ship cabins far forward on decks 7 and 8 will be downgraded from the present VA to VF and VE. Conversely, the deck 5 VE and VF (with the small balconies, right over the lifeboats) will be jacked up to VA (on Vistas) and V (on Signatures).

Current SS on deck 8 (with a reputation for being noisy under the Lido) go down to SY, while the present deck 6 SY get boosted to SS.

Current VD on deck 4 will become VA, VB, and VC. Aft-most VDs will be VC, except the two with double-wide balconies, which go to VB.

Similar upgrade/downgrade swaps take place on the S&R class ships.

Obviously HAL believes this will increase revenue, but IMO some of it could backfire. For example, the mid-ship deck 5 cabins that are popular now as VE could suddenly get a lot less popular when priced as a VA. I think a lot of them will be assigned as "upgrades" from guarantees of deck 4 cabins with almost twice the balcony size! :cool:

Edited by jtl513

We don't pay attention to this and take what we get. Including the 12th floor deck forward on the Prinsendam next to the CrowsNest -- which is about our favorite cabin of them all. I am prone to seasickness but never found any difference in cabin locations and we have been all over, top to bottom.

One Bonine a day does it for me when necessary so I can't really be a good judge whether cabin location or the seas or both matter the most, because seasickness is not an issue.

However, we had one night on the Prinsendam where just about everyone stayed in their cabin, no matter where it was located, including us. It was really rocking that night all over the ship. Captain warned us to expect this. And we did hunker down that night.

Edited by OlsSalt

We don't pay attention to this and take what we get. Including the 12th floor deck forward on the Prinsendam next to the CrowsNest -- which is about our favorite cabin of them all. I am prone to seasickness but never found any difference in cabin locations and we have been all over, top to bottom.

One Bonine a day does it for me when necessary so I can't really be a good judge whether cabin location or the seas or both matter the most, because seasickness is not an issue.

However, we had one night on the Prinsendam where just about everyone stayed in their cabin, no matter where it was located, including us. It was really rocking that night all over the ship. Captain warned us to expect this. And we did hunker down that night.

Location wise, the best cabins IMO will be the ones close to Hydropool, retreat cabanas, crows best , Tamarind. Of course I'm talking singnature class. We never had seasickness from past cruises in the Mediterranean. We're looking forward to the unique location of our cabin next feb on the panorama deck # 10 in the CA cat OV. Location location location.

I have sailed on all parts of the ship. 2weeks ago we got off a ship where we had an aft balcony. Was lovely. Felt no motion. In March we were midship. Was ok. Not my favorite place to be. The 3 before that were all high floors and as far front as you can go without riding in the bridge. Those are my absolute favorites. Getting ready to book a New Years cruise and am booking either 8101 our view would be inside the bridge in the front. Or else 6115. 1st balcony on 6th floor. As for seasickness i get on the ship and take 2 bonine and then every 24hours take 1. But usally by the 3rd day i forget and am just fine. Happying sailing

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Forums mobile app

Prinsendam is a bit of an exception ;) Other than the aft area, I don't think there is a bad location on the ship. I've never noticed much difference in motion on her no matter where we were. I think it has to do with her size and her hull and the way she moves through the water - not sure - but on the other ships if I had a cabin where mine was on the P'dam, we would have felt it. On the P'dam we don't:D

And I agree, that floor where the Crow's Nest is is wonderful:D

Location wise, the best cabins IMO will be the ones close to Hydropool, retreat cabanas, crows best , Tamarind. Of course I'm talking singnature class. We never had seasickness from past cruises in the Mediterranean. We're looking forward to the unique location of our cabin next feb on the panorama deck # 10 in the CA cat OV. Location location location.

Yes, the real location issues for us are proximity to the main activity decks or stairways. I hate to do more than two flights of step up so anywhere on a deck that is only two flights from where we spend most our time on board is always good with me.

Fore, aft or central does not matter that much for us. I hate waiting for elevators. Going down any number of stairs is okay and we went down a lot of steps on the Prinsendam that trip, but anything more than two or three flights up is just not fun. BTW, most of the HAL elevators are very swift and quiet. The Prinsendam elevators were few, small, clunky and fully mirror-clad which spooked everyone out when first inside with reflections of reflections, but at least made it look more "spacious" than they really were.

We are happy just to get on the ship and have a balcony cabin. After that, the most important thing is trying to get an extended balcony cabin.

Don't care about Neptune lounge, larger suites, butler, special dining room, priority boarding, free glasses of plonk, or whatever.

What we sometimes find on various cruise lines is that we balcony cabin we prefer is seldom at the top of the price list.