Better coffee, reeeallly?

Mary Ellen1

I just saw on Facebook where John Heald said that the coffee offered at the Lido buffet had been improved. Anyone know about this? I've not been on Carnival for 2 years -- has the coffee improved recently? In the past it's been so awful that I avoided it.

I do not know about lido coffee I did not have any but I did dirk the regular in the dining room which I would imagine isthe same stuff when not ordering specialty. At any rate the regular coffee was fantastic. This was last week on the freedom.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I do not know about lido coffee I did not have any but I did dirk the regular in the dining room which I would imagine isthe same stuff when not ordering specialty. At any rate the regular coffee was fantastic. This was last week on the freedom.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I always found the coffee in the dining room good, and the lido horrid. I just add more sugar upstairs. Also buy the premium stuff occasionally.

First, I'm a coffee drinker and hated the coffee on board Carnival ships. On our last cruse on the Valor I again tried coffee in the dining room. Hey, this is different, prompting me to ask if the had changed. To my surprise our waiter

seemed taken back by the question, and with a smile, he added, they had in fact changed. A great surprise to me, it wasn't bad at all. Thank you for listening Carnival.

I never had the swill others have mentioned, but I am a coffee snob. At least that's what DH tells me :)

I liked the coffee on Lido. Was it the best cup I'd ever had? No, but I preferred that over the coffee I paid for at the coffee bar. No joke.

Just got off the Dream, the coffee in MDR was good, lido was really strong. I am not a coffee snob, I will drink anything made with a coffee bean. I had to add cream and sugar, I normally drink mine black and for the record I buy the cheap store brand for home use.

MDR coffee on Splendor is good!

Coffee in the Lido or from Room Service -- Ugh! :( No amount of sugar or clear can make it better.

Going on the Splendor again on 12/3 and I am bringing a small jar of instant coffee from home so I can enjoy it during breakfast/lunch in the Lido.:D

MARAPRINCE

on the breeze coffee same in lido as dinning room it wasn't bad

This is true on all ships. MDR and Lido use same type and distributor. I've seen waitstaff from the MDR refilling their small pots from Lido. I believe Carnival switched out from Robusta to Arabica a couple of years ago. But low quality arabica beans can be worse than good quality Robusta beans. Many expresso blends are robusta as these beans typically have more strength and crema (the foamy layer on top). The coffee shop coffee is now from LaValle.

What makes coffee good or bad is individual tastes and what you are used to drinking. For some that's weak coffee, for others nothing short of expresso will do. People used to french press or cone filter drip will have a differenc epreference than those used to percolators or drip pots like Mr Coffee.

I've brought *$ Via Christmas( or Tribute ) in the past as the Lido coffee was very weak IMO. Via's not the best, but all you need is your own thermal mug and hot water from the Lido. But I didn't use it at all on the Breeze last year.

I just saw on Facebook where John Heald said that the coffee offered at the Lido buffet had been improved. Anyone know about this? I've not been on Carnival for 2 years -- has the coffee improved recently? In the past it's been so awful that I avoided it.

Yes, coffee is far better than it used to be -- improvement within the past year-ish.:)

How about on the Dream? I usually take my little coffeemaker, but not this time over Thanksgiving on the Dream. Don't want to start vacation upset because they take my coffeemaker. I have planned on taking my Jamaican beans, grinder, and a french press. I promise not to disturb my neighbors grinding beans. I would love to leave it all home if the coffee on the Dream is improved. As it is, I barely have room for the kitchen sink. :eek:

Last Feb on the Magic we could not drink the coffee as we thought it was the worst coffee we ever tasted. Yes we are coffee snobs. Our typical preference is a very dark French roast to an Italian. Everyone has their own preference but I don't want to pay $10 for coffee on board. Anyways, we're going to again try what they have but will pack our own in tea bags as backup and use hot water. I mean a good cup in the morning is the perfect way to watch the sunrise on a vacation. My only concern is the hot water may be too tepid to seep the coffee. I would love to bring our single serve coffee maker but don't want to worry about the logistics of all of that. BTW does anyone know if indeed what is served is Half and Half? I've heard different stories on that.

I seen this also today. Supposedly it changed while we were on the Breeze last year doing a b2b....:rolleyes::rolleyes: yeah right. Tasted the same the first week as it did the second...sucked.

I am talking Lido deck coffee. MDR coffee is much better.

I will let you know next month.

HATE LIDO DECK COFFEE ON CCL!!!!

The buffet coffee this summer on the Glory was better. Not great but better. At least it's going in the right direction.:)

Last Feb on the Magic we could not drink the coffee as we thought it was the worst coffee we ever tasted. Yes we are coffee snobs. Our typical preference is a very dark French roast to an Italian. Everyone has their own preference but I don't want to pay $10 for coffee on board. Anyways, we're going to again try what they have but will pack our own in tea bags as backup and use hot water. I mean a good cup in the morning is the perfect way to watch the sunrise on a vacation. My only concern is the hot water may be too tepid to seep the coffee. I would love to bring our single serve coffee maker but don't want to worry about the logistics of all of that. BTW does anyone know if indeed what is served is Half and Half? I've heard different stories on that.
What are you talking about ? I believe a latte or cappuccino was under $3.50 at the coffee bar. Edited by richstowe