First cruise - a number of general questions

Hi there, we are taking our first cruise (well apart from one 40 years ago!) on Celebrity Solstice to New Zealand,on Jan 3rd next year.

I have been reading posts on the forums and on the Celebrity website and am not clear on a few things.:confused:

I have looked at the drinks packages (we are not large drinkers) and from comments on the forum have decided to wait a few days to see how much we spend, and then decide if it will be worth purchasing.

One thing I am not clear about is- do we pay for all drinks other than in the MDR? Is there anywhere on the ship where we can get free tea, coffee etc.? Mainly thinking about getting a mid morning coffee and a cup of tea in the afternoon

I note that we can take on 2 bottles of wine to have in our cabin - can we also take on water and soft drink?

Lastly I notice that there is staggered boarding times - are these rigid? We have cat 6 cabin, so basically our boarding time is late in the day. We will have to check out of our hotel early in the day, and wonder if we turn up at the check in for boarding at lunch time would they let us on, or would we have to wait until the 4pm slot?

I am certainly starting to look forward to our trip, and am finding these forums really helpful.

Many thanks

:)

Yes, tea and coffee are available when the buffet is open (most of the time), and served at the end of the meal in the MDR.

You can also buy 'premium' varieties at the café.

Yes, you can take on water and soft drink - though the onboard water supply is fine to drink from.

Sydney OPT operates that check-in system and are pretty firm about it. You can certainly drop your bags off earlier, but they may only check you on earlier if everything is really quiet. Given Solstice is one of the largest ships here though, it is usually quite busy.

Hi there, how exciting your first cruise. Yes you can take on soft drinks & bottled water, though the water on the ship is very drinkable. You will be able to find tea & coffee & iced water usually in the buffet area 24 hrs a day. But be warned American coffee can be a shocker, as we found on Voyager earlier this year. As soon as we got to our first port we went & bought a jar of coffee & took that up to the buffet whenever we wanted a coffee. Take your chances with getting on the ship earlier, even if you can't get on, you can drop your luggage off & go for a walk around without heavy bags to lug around. :) Have fun.

Yes, tea and coffee are available when the buffet is open (most of the time), and served at the end of the meal in the MDR.

You can also buy 'premium' varieties at the café.

Yes, you can take on water and soft drink - though the onboard water supply is fine to drink from.

Sydney OPT operates that check-in system and are pretty firm about it. You can certainly drop your bags off earlier, but they may only check you on earlier if everything is really quiet. Given Solstice is one of the largest ships here though, it is usually quite busy.

I must have been typeing the same time as you, as our answers are just about the same :D

Hi Bluesky,

I am on the same cruise as you. We have a pretty active roll call going here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1701919, feel free to read through it and drop in and say 'Hi'.

Regarding the check in times, we are leaving from Auckland and there are limited facilities at the dock. The staggered boarding is to reduce congestion and get everyone on board efficiently. You can try turning up early and risk being sent away, or maybe security will let you through. (Whenever we have been given staggered boarding we have been asked by security for our cabin details to ensure we are attempting to board at the right time). Either way, you can still drop off your bags anytime from mid morning. If you get sent away, there are some great ferry trips around the bay (such as over to Waiheke Island or Devenport).

See you on board!

Hi. How exciting first cruise! The Solstice is a beauty too! In my experience I've never been sent away from boarding. I've just queued with everyone else even when I went earlier. To be honest I've never turned up for the allocated boarding time so I guess it depends on how things are on the day.

With the drinks package. Again in my experience you have to drink a lot and regularly to make it worth your while. If you are not large drinkers its probably really not worth it. Drink prices on board are quite reasonable. You can bring on your own soft drink and bottled water. I've seen people carrying on cartons of water and soft drinks! They are only meant for consumption in your room though. You can also ask your stateroom attendant to provide you with iced water in your room. The 'tap' water on board is totally fine to drink

In the MDR you'll get water served but will usually have to purchase other drinks there as the 'complimentary' stuff isn't readily available.

The Oceanview Cafe (buffet restaurant) is the place to go for round the clock tea, coffee, water, lemon cordial (they call it lemonade) fruit punch and orange juice. This is all complimentary and all very casual and informal. People come and go from there all the time with drinks and food etc. There is no complimentary fizzy soft drinks. The coffee is american style filter coffee and there is the full range of tea and herbal teas.

You can also find tea and coffee dispensers as well as some of the fruit punch or cordials in the Aqua Spa cafe in memory serves me right which is handy for the pool etc.

If the American coffee is not your thing you can go to the paid Bacio Cafe for a hit of Espresso style coffee which is about the same as paying for coffee at a cafe anywhere in Oz or NZ.

Have an awesome cruise!

Don't spoil your cruise by trying to "check in early" -- because that is what everybody else tries to do and it makes for an unpleasant first meeting. Instead- get rid of your luggage at the luggage getting rid of place -- and then enjoy yourself in Sydney's Rocks area (home to Australia's very best pub and other lesser enjoyable experiences.) Take your time -- board as late as possible. Forget about trying to get a free lunch on the first day ( yes , I know - even though you have paid for it) -- once again, because that is what everybody else is trying to do ! :)

Barry

Don't spoil your cruise by trying to "check in early" -- because that is what everybody else tries to do and it makes for an unpleasant first meeting. Instead- get rid of your luggage at the luggage getting rid of place -- and then enjoy yourself in Sydney's Rocks area (home to Australia's very best pub and other lesser enjoyable experiences.) Take your time -- board as late as possible. Forget about trying to get a free lunch on the first day ( yes , I know - even though you have paid for it) -- once again, because that is what everybody else is trying to do ! :)

Barry

That would be nice IF this cruise was leaving from Sydney, but the 3 January cruise is Auckland TO Sydney :). Still, there is also plenty to do in Auckland to fill in a few hours. Last time we were there we had a day to fill in post cruise waiting for our 6pm flight home. We spent the a a couple of hours in the morning at Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World, then caught the ferry to Devenport for lunch.

Cheers,

That would be nice IF this cruise was leaving from Sydney, but the 3 January cruise is Auckland TO Sydney :). Still, there is also plenty to do in Auckland to fill in a few hours. Last time we were there we had a day to fill in post cruise waiting for our 6pm flight home. We spent the a a couple of hours in the morning at Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World, then caught the ferry to Devenport for lunch.

Cheers,

??? not the way I read it :)

"Hi there, we are taking our first cruise (well apart from one 40 years ago!) on Celebrity Solstice TO New Zealand,on Jan 3rd next year."

Barry

The Celebrity Solstice cruise which leaves port on 3 January 2014 departs from Auckland, NZ and 14 days later ends in Sydney, Aus. I cannot help you with this one since I have never sailed from Auckland. Have sailed twice this year from Sydney, so if it was truly leaving from there I could help you. Sorry

OK, now for the other subjects.

If you are not big drinkers, don't get the alcohol package--it takes about 6 drinks a day each to come out ahead.

American style coffee, iced tea, hot tea lemonade/punch, and sometimes a flavored (mango?) iced tea is always readily available in all dining venues, all meals, gratis.

If you like the fizzy type sodas, you might want the soda package. We always get it. The sodas are Coca-Cola products. You get a special spill-resistant cup and the Coca-Cola logo on your sea pass. Your cup can be refilled at most bars, or, by showing your sea pass, receive a glass of the same. Including in the restaurants.

You may carry on two 750ml bottles of wine for personal use. If you take it to the dinning room they may charge you a corkage fee.

Any alcohol bought in the shops, either on board or ashore, will be taken and kept in security until the last night of the cruise when it will be delivered to your cabin.

There is a refrigerator in the cabin. Take the stuff out of it and put it on a high shelf or cabinet. It's expensive and you don't need it. It is then free to keep milk, yogurt, fruit, etc that you bring from breakfast. Not cold enough for wine, though. Get an ice bucket from your stewart.

There is also a safe for your passports, jewelry, money, cell phone, etc.

Bring a binder clip--the curtains don't always close completely and your neighbor might leave his veranda light on all night.

The walls are metal. Bring a clip with a magnet on it to hold reminders by the door such as the spa appointment at 1300 or the bridge tour at 1600.

I take along an over-the-door double hook in case there is not enough hooks for robes, sun hat, cap, umbrella, etc.

Friends swear by their over-the-door shoe bag to hold toiletries, makeup, swimwear, etc.

Consider binoculars and a night light, but don't bring a travel iron, clothes steamer, hot plate of any kind, or candles--they're not allowed. There is a hair dryer in every cabin.

Hope this helps. Have a good cruise (is there any other kind?)!:D

Kay

I am sure you will enjoy your first cruise. If I were you I would forget about boarding early and just go along at the proposed time.

This means you can either:

• leave your bags at the Hotel after check out (most hotels will do this for free) in their secure area and pick them up later that afternoon; or
  • drop you bags at the port earlier (at least your bags will be in your cabin when you do board), just after checking out of your hotel.

The advantage of either of these is that you can explore without your luggage. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Many thank for all replys, really helpful. Starting to get quite excited, although a little unsure about seasickness as I suffer from vertigo and am worried that I will get quite sick. Am going to be positive and take travel tablets every day!

We looked at the drinks package (premium as I like the waters in that package) but it came to $1825 for the two of us. We are not big drinkers and cannot imagine that we can drink that much in two weeks to make it worth it.

Many thanks once again