Grandeur, Drink Package and Coco Cay

Grandeur is a very good ship - was just on her to Bermuda in July and going again next July. Recently refurbished with several dining venues now offered - Chops/Giovanni's Table/Izumi/Chef's Table/Park Café. Also has the Centrum Areal act. The crew is also excellent.

Assume you are referring the 8-night Bahamas itinerary. The closest to that we've been on was Explorer 7-night Bahamas which did not include Key West. It was more of a getaway cruise for us and was good in that respect but probably not our favorite itinerary overall, but we enjoyed the cruise a lot. But itineraries are subjective to the cruiser and this does not mean it isn't a good itinerary or that you would not enjoy it. That is a personal decision.

The drink package is valid on Coco Cay.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We were on the Grandeur years ago and are booked on her in April. It's a nice ship, obviously not all the bells and whistles of Oasis, but still plenty to do.

Not sure if our itinerary is the same as yours. We're stopping in Port Canaveral, Cocoa Cay and Nassau.

We've been to all those ports before. I'm interested to see Nassau since it wasn't that great when we were there last time (but I think it was 10 years ago) and there have been improvements.

If you're stoping at Key West too, that's a bonus, it's a great stop. We did the electric car tour lots of fun.

For us this cruise is a relaxer without too much port activity. We basically booked it because it fit into our schedule and we didn't need to fly. Also, we're doing this cruse without the kids so I'm planning on buying my drink package sitting near a bar and reading my Nook loaded with books.

Grandeur is a very good ship - was just on her to Bermuda in July and going again next July. Recently refurbished with several dining venues now offered - Chops/Giovanni's Table/Izumi/Chef's Table/Park Café. Also has the Centrum Areal act. The crew is also excellent.

Assume you are referring the 8-night Bahamas itinerary. The closest to that we've been on was Explorer 7-night Bahamas which did not include Key West. It was more of a getaway cruise for us and was good in that respect but probably not our favorite itinerary overall, but we enjoyed the cruise a lot. But itineraries are subjective to the cruiser and this does not mean it isn't a good itinerary or that you would not enjoy it. That is a personal decision.

The drink package is valid on Coco Cay.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you (all) for your replies. To take this down another road, what did you think about the Explorer? I've "heard" since its sailing thru Hurricane Sandy, that it has developed a mold problem? I know, lots of questions... I'm new to Royal. My experience has been Carnival, Princess and NCL. thanks!

Thank you (all) for your replies. To take this down another road, what did you think about the Explorer? I've "heard" since its sailing thru Hurricane Sandy, that it has developed a mold problem? I know, lots of questions... I'm new to Royal. My experience has been Carnival, Princess and NCL. thanks!

We were on Explorer in July '12 Bermuda (pre Sandy) and again December '12 Bahamas (post Sandy) and noticed no issues at all. The ship is still pre-refurbishment which means no big screen poolside, Portofino's only for alternative restaurant, etc., but the ship's crew is one of the best IMO and the on board experience still very good with the Royal Promenade, rock climbing, ice skating rink, etc.

They are two different ships but we've sailed both twice each to date and liked them both a lot. Explorer is quite a bit larger than Grandeur and they have different features. You just need to decide what on-board features you like for your cruising style in addition to the itineraries. Don't think you'd make a bad choice with either.

The following link is to the RCI website, "Ships" tab. Explorer is under the "Voyager" class and Grandeur is under the "Vision" class. You can look at each ship in detail here to see the differences:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/home.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=2&snav=4

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have recently been on both. GOS in May 2013 and just got off EXPL on 10/20/13. Personally, I prefer EXPL (food, crew, and interior is nicer...I think). I also like that it has more to do and felt a bit larger without being crowded.

Either way...you will enjoy your cruise. Have fun deciding!

Oh and as far as the drink package if you are a wine drinker it is not a good value...otherwise if you aren't picky...go for it!