Decorating the Cabin Door

Atlantian

I go for simple. I just want to be able to spot the room from a distance. I found hairclips at the dollar store that had a big tropical silk flower attached to it. I just clip them on our mailbox. I have a hot pink and a bright orange one. Simple yet easy to find. They are more for my directionally challenged husband.

I vaguely remember reading about decorating your cabin door (and since I booked our cruise 29 days out - I have had my head buried in these boards daily to learn as much as I can so I am a little fuzzy now with where I read little blips here and there! :eek:). Is this something that is fairly popular to do on cruises? If so, what do passengers typically do?

My first cruise was with my women's club and several of the women decorated all of our doors and had our names on the outside so other members could find us. Our cruise two years ago was a few weeks before Christmas & I had read that they were giving our prizes for the best doors. Ours was awesome but never heard a thing ~ didn't matter. We loved doing it & enjoyed seeing it every time we turned the corner to our hallway :D Now you have me thinking about doing it for our Thanksgiving cruise. Back to the $$$ store!

We always decorate out door. On our last cruise there was a group of us. So the first night we decorated the other doors in our group. They had a fun surprise when they opened their door in the morning! It was fun. It also helped mark what doors were ares. Going to decorate our door again this year. The dollar store has awesome stuff at a good price. We use tape and have never had a problem getting it off.

We are about to leave on our 5th cruise and we always decorate our door but we also cruise with our kids. It's a lot of fun and as previously stated it does help you locate your door easily. We use dollar tree wall decorations and a cheap double sided tape dispenser. I've seen other use a small dry erase board on their doors. That would be very useful if you are cruising with other people.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

we are sailing December 8th on the Pride. The kids have decided they want to decorate our doors for Christmas! It gives them something fun to do AND it will keep them from getting confused and knocking or going to the wrong door! It sounds fun to me...

We are sailing on the Fascination on Dec. 9th. I bought our stockings yesterday. We sailed once before on a Christmas cruise. I had two stockings on the door then.....mine was 2 inches with my name and "nice" on it.....DH's was 30 inches with his name and "naughty" on it. At the end of the cruise we had all sorts of items in them.....lots of the "pillow chocolates", gum, fruit, and toilet paper. :D We really enjoy doing it. It also helped our granddaughter find our cabin when she accompanied us on one of our other cruises.

On our 20th anniversary cruise, we decorated the door with a poster we had made. It had our wedding picture on it, the date of the wedding and a current picture and the date of the cruise.

Edited by scooterpopsnana

We are sailing on the Fascination on Dec. 9th. I bought our stockings yesterday. We sailed once before on a Christmas cruise. I had two stockings on the door then.....mine was 2 inches with my name and "nice" on it.....DH's was 30 inches with his name and "naughty" on it. At the end of the cruise we had all sorts of items in them.....lots of the "pillow chocolates", gum, fruit, and toilet paper. :D We really enjoy doing it. It also helped our granddaughter find our cabin when she accompanied us on one of our other cruises.

I bought stockings a couple of weeks ago (I felt like a crazy person buy Christmas decorations the day after Halloween). I have some glitter glue that I will use to put our names on them.

There's enough to pack without bringing door decorations....and what's so hard about finding your door? If you're on the correct floor and in the correct hallway (odd or even) you'll find your number. :confused:

it depends on the alcohol level consumed....LOL

We are doing it for a couple different reasons:

1) it's fun

2) and because we want to

decorations all fold flat and won't take up hardly any room!

There's enough to pack without bringing door decorations....and what's so hard about finding your door? If you're on the correct floor and in the correct hallway (odd or even) you'll find your number. :confused:

It really helps if you have kids or even teens and some adults (after a few DOD's) who might not be as good at remembering your cabin number. The decorations make it easy to find if you can get on the right hallway. The decorations I have brought were all flat and really took up very little room.

Edited by Mysticks1

We always decorate our door. I've never seen a lot of people do it, but I've seen some. Our first cruise was with a group and I only knew a handful of people, so only decorated our door. Just a piece of cardstock with our names and a palm tree I think. Got compliments on it. It's true that it makes it soooo much easier to find your room!! The hallways and doors all look alike, and if you've been out all day, or like me, been drinking Drinks of the Day allllll day, it's a life saver at those times, lol. Our 2nd cruise was organized by myself and DH, and included 18 people, all family and close friends. I made a simple door sign for everyone...names of those inside the cabin, an ocean wave border, in specific colors. Scotch-taped to all the doors. Everyone loved it!!! Many compliments, plus many thanks from the group. Anyone that didnt want to keep their's after the cruise, I collected, and they'll make their way into the scrapbook. Some had notes written on them from drunken stupor times, so funny. I scrapbook and have a cricut machine, so was able to cut letters, borders, tropical icons for the signs. They're just small posters, so take up no room whatsoever in the luggage. I look forward to making them and putting them up! Our next cruise was booked about 2 months ago, and was definitely because we JUST NEED it!!! Also it is during New Years Eve. Im having trouble deciding what to put on our sign. It's just me and the DH this time!

We are cruising this Christmas on Splendor out of NYC ....Large family cruise w/ 7 cabins .. 8 adults w/ 7 of our kids ..

Not only do we plan on decorating our doors w/ big Season Greetings signs , but all of our cabins will be decked out as well ... I bought a bunch of the old fashioned paper cutouts ( that my mother would tape to our windows when I was a kid ) along with lil 2' pre-lit xmas trees , garland ,

and snowflake & light bulb window clings ... I figure cruising on Christmas

our cabins would have to be decorated to add that special holiday touch !!!!

We had two balcony rooms last Dec. & decorated the doors like presents! We also decorated outside on our adjoining balconies with gold garland so we could see our rooms when we got off the ship!

This year we'll be decorating our doors for Thanksgiving! It's fun & we enjoy the compliments!

I usually put up the Cruise Critic sign. My last cruise was for Halloween and many doors were decorated. Awesome in some cases! I had a skeleton dressed like a pirate. My neighbor, a fellow roll caller, moved his arms around and made it make a funny salute.

For future cruises I'm going to get more imaginative than the CC sign...