Divina Chaos

sidari

we need these born complainers to keep trashing MSC so that the prices remain low for the rest of us. Lets face it, no matter what nationality you may be some people are just negative. they expect everything in life to go their way and when it doesn't they just wallow in the negative. and boy are they ever vocal! so let's let them continue to book msc for the low attractive prices and then rant on when there isn't ketchup and ice water on the table when they arrive at dinner. The rest of us enjoy the best kept secret on the seas!

Agreed - we need them!

Philip

The food is still up and down with good days and bad days in the Dining room and Buffet, the last few days the Dining room for dinner has not been so well attended.

The original meet and greet was very vocal especially from the North American contingent onboard, the next meeting should be interesting.

I would have preferred a more balanced and insightful blog of this repo instead of using this forum to complain.

Wine is always available at all outlets on the ship. The question is whether you are charged extra for it above the drinks package. Just sign for it, enjoy your meal, and sort it out when the cashier's desk is quiet a few days later. Don't refuse to sign and let it spoil your cruise.

30 minutes late departure is not late, it is normal. You will also find that arrivals are one hour early - also normal.

A 30 minute late 2nd sitting is rare but hardly shocking. Just have another drink and wait for the crowds to subside after the opening.

A fresh crew who have not worked together before and who are also being trained (not "brainwashed") for the North American market will always take a couple of days to bed down. Things may appear chaotic for a while but that reflects just how polished they have to be for things to run smoothly.

If you start feeling indignant, find a quiet place, order a cocktail you have never tried before and appreciate the good things instead of dwelling on the bad.

Food is highly subjective and depends more on what you order than what day it happens to be. Especially if you are on second sitting, ask your waiter what he recommends.

As AmoMondo did, if you are financially disadvantaged in any way, enjoy your cruise then write a short, polite letter to detail your claim.

I too avoid professional complainers. I have nothing whatsoever in common with them. A sense of humour and the ability to laugh no matter how bad things get are far more appealing in fellow cruise guests.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

I too avoid professional complainers. I have nothing whatsoever in common with them. A sense of humour and the ability to laugh no matter how bad things get are far more appealing in fellow cruise guests.

Tim.

I agreed with all of the points you made Tim! But this last one is the most important. Just as in everyday life, when traveling things can and will go wrong. It's how you handle the issues that make or break your vacation. And most importantly, people need to remember how fortunate we are to be able to travel in the first place. I'd take traveling on vacation dealing with late departures, late dinners and drink package issues over everyday life any day!

My husband and I always travel with our kids who are now 10 &13 - they have been cruising since they were toddlers. We have always tried to teach them that even when things don't go according to plan we have to stay patient and flexible. And I swear that most of the time, my children behave better in sticky situations than most adults do.

Cruising on Divina in 1 week! :D

I agreed with all of the points you made Tim! But this last one is the most important. Just as in everyday life, when traveling things can and will go wrong. It's how you handle the issues that make or break your vacation. And most importantly, people need to remember how fortunate we are to be able to travel in the first place. I'd take traveling on vacation dealing with late departures, late dinners and drink package issues over everyday life any day!

Absolutely, so would I!

My husband and I always travel with our kids who are now 10 &13 - they have been cruising since they were toddlers. We have always tried to teach them that even when things don't go according to plan we have to stay patient and flexible. And I swear that most of the time, my children behave better in sticky situations than most adults do.

That is a great education. I had the opposite from my parents and had to learn to calm them down if ever the situation became sticky! I was mature before my time and now people wrongly believe I am unflappable. I am not unflappable it just takes an awful lot to make me flap.

Cruising on Divina in 1 week! :D

I am confident you will enjoy her and I hope to hear of your adventure here.

Tim.

Skipper Tim and Mrstrod, absolutely agree. After returning home from many of our cruises and then reading some reviews, I am often amazed at the negativity and wonder whether the poster was on the same cruise as I. Things happen on a cruise, things happen in every day life in dealings with stores, restaurants,business ect. That's why it's called life. No one is perfect. I believe in the fact that I am paying for a few days on a cruise, not buying the ship and to have the crew on board bow down to my sims and needs every minute. I honestly believe in making the best of every minute From boarding to disembarkation. Showing appreciation towards the crew . On our very first transatlantic cruise, we were stuck outside of Lisbon for three days and missed two ports do call, waiting for divers to repair the ship. What did we do? We were on a cruise ship, enjoying music in bars , live shows, eating meals which we did not have to prepare. We danced till 2am in the mornings. We were on a beautiful ship. We met friends who now join us on most of our cruises and yes we avoided the complainers (yes they were present in abundance, demanding refunds ect). Our cabin steward was taking care of our cabin. Life was (still is amazing). This was the cruise that had us hooked for life. Right now impatiently waiting and counting the days for our Christmas cruise on the Divina. We are cruising the week before Divina on Liberty of the Seas, which I am sure we will enjoy, but can't wait to enjoy the elegance of "Lady Divina".

CG ... the only staff member who was at the original meeting was the cruise director who will be taking over from the current one Maddie when she leaves the ship in Miami. The guy is called Andre and worked for Princess for many years.

During the wait for immigration yesterday we were talking to a regular MSC cruiser from the UK who has been on each class of ship at least twice, her thoughts on Divina is that it is all show and no substance !

No one complained about the late departure from Venice, although the Captain chose to apologise to people because it had happened.

As AmoMondo did, if you are financially disadvantaged in any way, enjoy your cruise then write a short, polite letter to detail your claim.

Tim.

As someone who is looking to cruise MSC may i ask the following:

After reading tons of posts on MSC and Costa I h\cosntantly hear :"Hoem Off ice Custoer relations is Non Existant.

Not that lately the other lines have excelled ijn post cruise customer service.

So, will a polite letter have any effect. Is the Hoem Office resposive to its customers,

After reading tons of posts on MSC and Costa I h\cosntantly hear :"Hoem Off ice Custoer relations is Non Existant.

So, will a polite letter have any effect. Is the Hoem Office resposive to its customers,

Well if you read post 21, you will see in my case it did. It can be a bit slow, but if you direct your reasonable requests to the right people it works. I'd also add that as far as the UK office is concerned, FB messaging works very well.

MSC has an awful website which they say will be replaced soon and are poor at admin and providing detailed information.

I think it is the sheer complexity of MSC's operation that is the root of some of these comments. They operate in so many different markets and in so many different languages and cultures around the World. Every market has a different range of itineraries, different prices, terms & conditions, availabilities, etc.. While niche operators tend to operate from one country or another, e.g. AIDA in Germany or Ibero Cruises in Spain, and the major U.S. corporations do not adapt their product to the same degree across markets, MSC has tried to mop up the non-U.S. cruise style demand in large segments of the World. The result is that each local MSC office has a complex and unique shore-side operation with a modest number of staff. Coupled with a poor website, shore-side is under strain.

Although I have read negative remarks about MSC customer services on board, I have always found them very professional, courteous and efficient. I can imagine that some people who are not good communicators with staff whose first language is not English may allow their misunderstandings to escalate.

Finally, MSC UK have dealt slowly but professionally with our recent claim for out of pocket expenses as a result of cancelling our repo cruise from Sharm el Sheikh. MSC did not have to cover our flight or hotel costs as we had not booked a package. They did and offered us an alternative cruise, one day longer on the same ship at the same time with modest o.b.c. too.

While I regret our change of itinerary, having experienced it, I have no reason to complain about MSC customer service.

• 3 weeks later...

I was happy with my TA experience on MSC. I always found something tasty to eat. The ship is absolutely gorgeous, and the housekeeping and maintenance perfect.

However, the departure from the ship on November 20th was a real mess. It wasn't a disaster, there was no blood, and nobody died. But, waiting over three hours for luggage is inexcusable. Due to a publicity stunt and to give local travel agents a chance to see the ship the Divina arrived a day early in Miami. Many passengers took advantage of this to disembark on the 19th, saving themselves from the mess on the 20th.

On the 20th confusion reigned. Not just the usual MSC Italian run around, but real chaos as luggage was still onboard the ship at 10:30AM. Passengers were being held onboard over two hours past their scheduled disembarkation times. Luggage instead of being sorted by colors was coming off all over the place. I personally spoke to people who had been waiting over three hours for their luggage. I personally overheard passengers telling the local staff that MSC could just send their luggage to them since they could not wait any longer (3 hours!!) because they had a plane to catch.

I've never known a cruise line to be incapable of just getting luggage off the ship and onto the dock. Was this too much to expect?