A few questions about Princess

Joy&TomSTL

We are taking our first Princes cruise in December on the Ruby and I have a couple of questions for you experienced Princess cruisers.

- Do you have to check suitcases at the dock or can you take your bag with you? Past cruises on other lines, I was able to take my carry-on suitcase with me and it went through xrays without a problem. The bag size is allowable on most airplanes.

- Is there a hair dryer in the staterooms?

- Is there a formal night on 4-day cruises? The Princess website was not conclusive.

- I have read on these boards that Princess has classes, wine tastings, etc. Is there a schedule somewhere or it is just advertise on the ship?

Thanks!

Joy

These I can answer as we are experienced Princess cruisers:

Do you have to check suitcases at the dock or can you take your bag with you? Past cruises on other lines, I was able to take my carry-on suitcase with me and it went through xrays without a problem. The bag size is allowable on most airplanes.

If it will fit through the scanner at an airport it will do the same at the port and you can carry it on with you. If it won't fit the scanner it must be checked.

Yes but many have complained including my wife that they are grossly underpowered and take forever to dry your hair. She always brings her own.

- Is there a formal night on 4-day cruises? The Princess website was not conclusive.

No. Princess does not have a formal night on their 3-4 day cruises. There are normally 2 on a 7 night cruise.

- I have read on these boards that Princess has classes, wine tastings, etc. Is there a schedule somewhere or it is just advertise on the ship?

Yes there are wine tastings but there is a charge. Some exercise classes also have a charge as do some of the other activities. All will be listed in the Princess Patter that you will get in the evening for the next day. The time, location and cost if there is any will be there for you to plan out the next day. There are countless free activities as well.

Hope this helped. Enjoy the trip!

Do you have to check suitcases at the dock or can you take your bag with you?

If it will fit through the scanner at an airport it will do the same at the port and you can carry it on with you. If it won't fit the scanner it must be checked.

Note: even bags that are too big/long to carry onboard an aircraft will still go through the scanner and you can carry them on if you wish.

can you bring a 12 pack of water or soda (per person) on board with you like you can on Carnival?

Yes, and there isn't a strict 12 pack limit.

We are taking our first Princes cruise in

Thanks!

Joy

ZUMBA is free. Check the Princess Patter for times and location. On the Ruby it will most likely be held in Club Fusion. It is usually in the morning and is very well attended.

We are taking our first Princes cruise in December on the Ruby and I have a couple of questions for you experienced Princess cruisers.

- Do you have to check suitcases at the dock or can you take your bag with you? Past cruises on other lines, I was able to take my carry-on suitcase with me and it went through xrays without a problem. The bag size is allowable on most airplanes.

Thanks!

Joy

I believe the captain can call/order a formal night at his wish/discretion. :D

Cato :)

What I find on the Princess web site says no.

1 - 4 Days 0

5 - 6 Days 1

7 - 13 Days 2

14 - 20 Days 3

21 - 28 Days 4

29+ Days5 Minimum

To be certain, check your cruise personalizer on the Princess web site. In the part that lists your itinerary, after the itinerary it will say how many formal nights and how many smart casual nights.

Edited by caribill

What I find on the Princess web site says no.

1 - 4 Days 0

5 - 6 Days 1

7 - 13 Days 2

14 - 20 Days 3

21 - 28 Days 4

29+ Days5 Minimum

To be certain, check your cruise personalizer on the Princess web site. In the part that lists your itinerary, after the itinerary it will say how many formal nights and how many smart casual nights.

As I mention before, it's up to the captains wimm/wish/prerogative. :D

Cato :)

As I mention before' date=' it's up to the captains wimm/wish/prerogative. :D

Cato :)[/quote']

Yes, but any Captain's whim should be reflected in the personalizer before the cruise.

Surely the Captain will not surprise guests who brought no clothes for a formal night by adding a formal night once they board.

We did not book directly though princess.com. When I go to the tab that says booked passengers, each time I have to enter in name, birthdate and booking number. Is there a secret to just signing in and not having to list this information all the time?

How is Princess staterooms for electric outlets? Do they allow multi plug outlets on their ships?

Thanks for all the information so far!

Joy

Does anyone know if they do a martini tasting? Did this on the Carnival Dream if Feb and enjoyed it.

There is a martini demo and a few lucky guests get to drink the samples but I'm not sure there's an actual martini tasting. That would be fun though!

We did not book directly though princess.com. When I go to the tab that says booked passengers, each time I have to enter in name, birthdate and booking number. Is there a secret to just signing in and not having to list this information all the time?

How is Princess staterooms for electric outlets? Do they allow multi plug outlets on their ships?

Thanks for all the information so far!

Joy

I booked directly through Princess and am having the same issue. Hoping someone here know the answer. :confused:

I figured out why my booking wasn't showing up when I signed in. The wrong email address was entered with my booking. I called Princess and asked them to change the email address associated with my booking and it worked. This assumes of course that you use the same email address for the booking and for your Princess sign in account. Hope that helps.

There will be two outlets at the desk (next to each other, but seperated on the Royal) and a spare outlet behind the TV (not on the Royal). The bathroom will have a 2-prong shaver outlet that is also good for a night night or charging camera batteries.

Yes, you can plug in your multi-outlet device at the desk.

Edited by caribill

Hi-

After many trips on Celebrity, HAL and RCI, last year we tried Princess for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. We enjoyed it so much, we're booked for our third on the cruise line. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

You asked about what kind of activities Princess offers. I have a Princess Patter newsletter from our trip this past April on the Caribbean Princess right now on my desk and thought it would help to highlight a few events from it. This was from Friday, April 19, a sea day:

- "Back to the Future" on Movies Under the Stars

- Caribbean Treasures shopping talk

- Adult water volleyball

- Seminar: "Detox for Health and Weight Loss"

- Morning Trivia Challenge

- Seminar: Relieving Back Pain

- "The Princess Bride" on Movies Under the Stars

- Ball Room Dance Class: Cha Cha

- Ping Pong Challenge

They did offer a wine tasting one day during the seven-day trip, but overall, Princess doesn't offer the same array of classes and lectures as Celebrity and HAL, which I think both excel in that area. But, it has lovely ships, great service and an all around good experience. Hope this helped a bit. - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com