Kids without aduts on ship

taecruise2

I really don't get what the difference in safety between night and day would be. ...the freaks come out at night

The ship is a very closed population. It's very unlikely that there are people who will come out at night who otherwise wouldn't be out during the day. ...sometimes they do different things after dark. They go bumping in the night

The key to safety would be staying in populated areas whether or not it's the daytime or nighttime......not many populated areas between midnight and 6 am

Fundamentally, ships are a very safe place.....yes tons of cameras but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of curse, or something like that

The other thread had 7 crimes reported between Carnival and RCI over 3 months.....the key here is REPORTED, so what our ears don't hear our heart won't fret

If we make some really conservative assumptions that it's just the Carnival fleet of 24 ships carrying 3000 people every week, you get a population of 936,000 cruisers over a 13 week quarter. 7 crimes spread over this population is negligible.........unless it's your child or spouse, then it's everything

Statistically, a child is more at risk from crime in their cabin with their parents than out and about in public areas..... true because some parents will give a kid a pop to keep them in check

Let's try this, the curfew might be to protect the adults from kids who think they have earned the vacation and therefore have a right to enjoy their way by crowding hot tubs, pushing elevator buttons, running down the hallways and screaming. Oh and the parents who don't think they have the power to say, let's call it a night, tomorrow is another day. The risk from kids hanging out together and doing something stupid might be much grater than the freaks coming out at night. The real threat might be a girl accusing a young man of something that could ruin his life. Tragedy might be having your daughter tagged in questionable pics posted on social media.

Edited by Blk_Amish

My kids curfews have changed as they have gotten older but this is how WE do it, unapologetically - because it works for us.

Our youngest is 12- she is allowed to go to Camp Carnival activities, she is allowed to go to the Lido deck with Camp Carnival friends for ice cream and snacks. she is only allowed to leave Camp Carnival (unless of course she's with us to begin with!) if we check her out, her 16 yr old sister checks her out, or she texts (yes, we do cellular at sea- .50 to send .05 to receive and worth every single penny for peace of mind) and tells us she is heading to Lido deck. She generally has an 11 pm curfew- either we go get her, or her sister. On nights when theres a special party or something, we make exceptions.

My 16 yr old is allowed to do the teen thing, but she hates it, so she prefers to either hang out with us, or her sister, or her brother if he's sailing with us- or hanging out in the cabin. Yes, I have the one 16 yr old on the ship who likes to spend her nights curled up with books and the tv. Whatever, it's her vacation too.

My 20 yr old son...lol, well obviously he does whatever he wants. When he was living at home and we cruised, we stopped giving him curfews at about 16 on the ships. He was threatened within an inch of his life if he screwed up our vacation by getting into trouble- there would be hell to pay. He was a good kid and never really gave us any trouble at home or on vacation. Did he ever sneak a drink somewhere or steal some kisses on a dark deck from a girl he'd just met? Probably. I'm not naive. But he handled it well enough, we never had complaints or issues. The caveat was he had to tell us what time and check in i that changed. He usually came back about 1 am.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

We were on RCI Allure this past summer. My kids were 12, 14, and 16. In the teen compass it states that curfew is 2am for junior cruisers ( under the age of 18) that are unaccompanied by a parent. My kids were aware of this curfew and understood that we could change it to our liking depending on port times, attitudes, and behavior. One of the parties listed (15-17 yr olds) states "midnight until late". The 12-14 yr old parties were 10-midnight. My daughter isn't a fan of mingling so she pretty much stayed with us or in the room if we decided to go to a later show. My 14 yr old stayed on the basketball court most of our trip and made plenty of friends--but they were all 15 + When it came time for evening activities he wouldn't go to the parties as he said he didn't want to be with "12 yr old babies" ( i.e.: his sister-who wasn't going anyway). Since the basketball court closed at midnight and he couldn't join his brother or their friends in the teen club ( yes, it was enforced) , he was back by midnight every night. My 15 yr old was back in our room by 2am.

My kids could't tell me if curfew was enforced as they never stayed out past curfew. In preparation for that trip , as I was reading cruise critic, I read conflicting stories ( as usual) about the enforcement of curfew. Some said it was never enforced and kids stayed out until whenever, others reported that curfew was enforced and crew member would instruct the teens to please return to their rooms.

It will be interesting to see what happens this summer as we sail on the Breeze!

Lisa

Edited by mom2mnem

We have let DS 15 go unsupervised on the last 2 cruises. He did have a curfew of 11:30-12:00.

This year he will be in the oldest camp and I know the parties go later but I think we will still enforce a 12:00 curfew because I can't stay up that late!

I may be totally dumb but where do they get the alchol from? Is it from the parents stash or is Carnival serving to minors?

We have let DS 15 go unsupervised on the last 2 cruises. He did have a curfew of 11:30-12:00.

This year he will be in the oldest camp and I know the parties go later but I think we will still enforce a 12:00 curfew because I can't stay up that late!

I may be totally dumb but where do they get the alchol from? Is it from the parents stash or is Carnival serving to minors?

This information came from my son who cruised during the Spring for his graduation present. He was almost 18, so for the first time I stepped back but played CSI- Cruise Scene Investigator. After a teen died on Carnival from alcohol I decided to give him immunity for providing the information about the teens I saw who were clearly under the influence.

No, Carnival was not serving minors, but they didn't do much about kids clearly under the influence. As previously stated by some, it's not their job to watch out for kids. Yes, some of the alcohol came from the parents stash BUT shared among others. Many of the older teens sneaked their own, in all kind of bottles. If the booze did not hurt them, the chemical from the bottle they put it in could. Families are allowed to take on a cases of liquid, so they replaced one or two bottles with their own thing and SHARED. An older girl my son hooked up with (I am hoping sat and talked) shared alcohol with him. We are still taking about the happenings on this cruise and why he thinks it's not a good idea for his sister. These teens seem to be very kind to each others in ways we would rather them not be. On this particular cruise there weren't much for the older teens to do but hang around but they weren't really disruptive.

The danger of your child going unsupervised is not just from random strangers but fast friends and pretty girls. I tried to share this information in a thread and get the wrath of the usual. I am asking them just to let it be.

Edited by Blk_Amish

If you raise good kids, they will be good kids on vacation too. My son hung out with a group of 10 kids last July the entire cruise at all times day and night. They never got into any trouble. Just liked hanging out. They still all keep in touch even though they are from all over the US...

Exactly! My boys will be 12 and 13 on our next cruise and I plan on letting them roam by themselves and/or with a group of kids.

Of course they will have rules and meet up times but I will not be paranoid about "rapists or pedophiles". :rolleyes:

Exactly! My boys will be 12 and 13 on our next cruise and I plan on letting them roam by themselves and/or with a group of kids.

Of course they will have rules and meet up times but I will not be paranoid about "rapists or pedophiles". :rolleyes:

Agree. My son is a pretty good kid and he isn't much into partying so I am hoping he will have a fun yet safe vacation!