Charging privileges for Tweens?

limeyalchemist

I have done this in the past when my two oldest kids were in their Tweens. The only big surprise was video game charges. That was before you could check your account daily on the tv. My kids just know if you have to swipe your card it's going to cost you. I think it's a great way to give them some control over their vacation while also learning some responsibility :).

I'm not sure that you can set on just for their cards as all the cards will be linked to your account. It may be possible depending on the line. I think it's a great way to teach your young ones some fiscal responsibility. I think she will look lovely in the Rolex from the jewlery store. Just joking.

Edited by Gunner22aa

Its more of a hassle to set up limits.

If your kids are truly untrustworthy, or if you'll get bent completely out of shape over $20 in arcade games - jump through those hoops.

I've always found it simpler to lead from a position of trust and set the expectations with them up front such as "go ahead and have fun - remember that you have $25 to do stuff/get stuff" etc.. let them be responsible - it can be a great learning experience for all involved. And if they do go crazy and run up some charges "Wow - looks like you enjoyed bowling 30 times today. Its too bad that you won't be getting anything for Christmas this year. So did you get any strikes?" haha

Does anyone have experience with allowing tween kids charging privileges on a cruise?

My oldest is very responsible and I would set a daily limit up when checking in.

My goal is to give her some independence and let her learn how to handle it.

Any advice?

My kids having been cruising since they were 4 and 7 (now 16 and 19) and I have always given them full charging capabilities. I can count on one hand the number of times they used them (together) over the 10 cruises they have been on. Items purchased were a few virgin drinks and some arcade money and it was never over $10 at a time. I have kids who are extremely responsible and even when I allowed them to do it they didn't want to abuse it so they didn't use it. Most of the time they hung out with us any ways (their choice) and just let us purchase what ever needed to be bought....That is just how my kids are. When they started driving I go each of them a credit card on my account for emergencies and gas. They've never abused this. Some kids can't be trusted with that kind of responsibility. Only you know if yours can.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Does anyone have experience with allowing tween kids charging privileges on a cruise?

My oldest is very responsible and I would set a daily limit up when checking in.

My goal is to give her some independence and let her learn how to handle it.

Any advice?

I do not trust anyone with my credit, not even my dh, married 20 years, together 25. The kids will get to spend what they have earned doing odd jobs. For my peace of mind I set a limit at check in, based on the funds they have earned and any I add in for good measures. They earn money for final semester grades and birthdays. I try giving them a weekly allowance but they refuse to take it. They figure they can get more out of me by nickle and dining that the $1 I was going to give to them for allowance. I find that their spending needs go way down when it's the money they earn is being spent. I love it but they got me on the $1 allowance:D I don't want them to get in the habit of charging unless they know how it's going to be paid for but that's being old school.

Edited by Blk_Amish

My kids having been cruising since they were 4 and 7 (now 16 and 19) and I have always given them full charging capabilities. I can count on one hand the number of times they used them (together) over the 10 cruises they have been on. Items purchased were a few virgin drinks and some arcade money and it was never over $10 at a time. I have kids who are extremely responsible and even when I allowed them to do it they didn't want to abuse it so they didn't use it. Most of the time they hung out with us any ways (their choice) and just let us purchase what ever needed to be bought....That is just how my kids are. When they started driving I go each of them a credit card on my account for emergencies and gas. They've never abused this. Some kids can't be trusted with that kind of responsibility. Only you know if yours can.

We have always done the same with our son and he has never abused it either. He knew he could charge a virgin drink or two a day or an ice cream from Ben and Jerry's and any other purchases were his responsibility. If he wanted to buy a souveneir, he would tell us what he was interested in, usually just a t-shirt, and we would ok him buying it. We always told him up front that he was responsible for any excess charging but it was never a problem. We also did the same thing with a credit card when he left for college and he has never once abused that either.

Let them show they can be responsible. Check charges daily to make sure they aren't abusing it but also to make sure there aren't any errors on any of your charges. If they show they are abusing it, shut them down.

Mine still have no charging because she still leaves her card (she has a landyard) all over the darn ship ;) And this is the TEEN. Yes, she is mature, yes she is responsible - but she is still a child who puts things down. I don't want another child charging on my card.

So nope - she has never needed anything because if she wants it - she asks me.

Its more of a hassle to set up limits.

If your kids are truly untrustworthy, or if you'll get bent completely out of shape over $20 in arcade games - jump through those hoops.

I've always found it simpler to lead from a position of trust and set the expectations with them up front such as "go ahead and have fun - remember that you have $25 to do stuff/get stuff" etc.. let them be responsible - it can be a great learning experience for all involved. And if they do go crazy and run up some charges "Wow - looks like you enjoyed bowling 30 times today. Its too bad that you won't be getting anything for Christmas this year. So did you get any strikes?" haha

We just got back from a cruise yesterday, and this is what we did with our kids, ages 10 - 17. They each were allowed to spend $25 on anything they wanted, and after that, I would be removing extra money spent from their bank accounts. Not one of them spend the whole $25.

Mine were pretty much the same. They both started cruising around 7 YO. They were allowed 2 drinks per day (long before drink packages) and if they wanted something in the stores they told me in advance. Mine also were usually with us. Again, we started cruising before they had dedicated kid clubs so they spent a lot of time with us. Even after though, they knew the rules and never abused them. Room service now THAT they did all the time. First thing they did when they boarded was order room service. When they learned to drive my kids also got credit cards for emergencies and gas and never abused that either.

Funny story: my daughter was around 9 YO and she ordered a strawberry margarita. The guy behind me taps me on my shoulder, points to my daughter and says.... "excuse me but is that a virgin?" Once the words left his mouth he realized exactly what he said LOL :o. Of course I gave my small child alcohol! I assured him that both the drink and my daughter were virgins. I bet he still cringes when he thinks about his poor wording choice even today.

Edited by notentirelynormal

We have always done the same with our son and he has never abused it either. . . Let them show they can be responsible. Check charges daily to make sure they aren't abusing it but also to make sure there aren't any errors on any of your charges. If they show they are abusing it, shut them down.

Mine still have no charging . . . So nope - she has never needed anything because if she wants it - she asks me.
Yup, it all depends upon the kid. My DD (now 18YO) has always been pretty responsible. Never put any restrictions on her seapass cards.

I got her a credit card when she was 13YO (and going off on a class trip for three days). When she was in 8th grade, one of her teachers was doing a unit on financial management and was polling the class on different things -- as a "throw in" question, he asked if anyone had a credit card; DD raised her hand -- he gave a long low whistle and said "boy they must really trust you" long pause before he added ". . . and if I were them, I would too!" :)

Part of it is your kid, part of it is how you've prepared him/her.