International Cell Service While at Sea

Cruising on Allure in a few weeks. We'll be sailing with my teenage boys, 3 more extended family teenagers, and various inlaws. Keeping in touch onboard has been discussed a bit. My mother-in-law called AT&T and added an international plan to her phone for a set number of minutes & texts. Mother-in-law called RCI to ask if she's out to sea and uses her cell phone will she incur additional charge from the cruise line. They told her as long as she used her international plan then no, the cruise line won't charge her. Here's my question: if you're out to sea and use your cell phone even with an international plan the "tower" you hit belongs to the ship. They'll charge for that, right? Believe me, my life onboard staying in touch with my teenagers would be much easier if we could text via our iPhones (without paying data rates for iMessages). Did RCI tell my MiL wrong? Or, were they correct? Don't want her to have any ugly surprises at the end of our cruise.

Thanks!

While out to sea there are no cell towers. You will be using the ship's system and its expensive. Who ever told you that it is included with your international plan has no idea what they are talking about

Edited by Hstergo

While out to sea there are no cell towers. You will be using the ship's system and its expensive. Who ever told you that it is included with your international plan has no idea what they are talking about

This is my thinking. You won't be charged by the cell service because that's billed. But out to sea you're using the ship's cell tower and THAT the cruise line charges for.

That's not how it works, you are not charged by RCI to use the provided ship's cell tower! If you use your cabin phone, you will be charged by RCI.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/RCI_Connected.pdf

Yup. I had an international plan and the instant we got to open seas I got texts saying I was being charged because it was coming off of the ship's tower. I turned off the phone and still incurred some extra charges because it was on even though I had paid extra and told them which islands we would be on. I have Verizon, and they even assured me that in the US Virgin Islands it would be free. Nope. Text message charges showed up.

Yup. I had an international plan and the instant we got to open seas I got texts saying I was being charged because it was coming off of the ship's tower. I turned off the phone and still incurred some extra charges because it was on even though I had paid extra and told them which islands we would be on. I have Verizon, and they even assured me that in the US Virgin Islands it would be free. Nope. Text message charges showed up.

I have seen other posts indicating Verizon was very restrictive and US cell service was not available in the US Virgin Islands.

I have AT&T and my phone worked for DATA and Voice in the US Virgin Islands with NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES. I cannot speak for the International plan on the ship. Calls made through the ships cell tower are billed by your provider, not RCI. Perhaps there is another CC friend out there that has used the AT&T International plan on the ship?

@steveru621, I'd love to hear from a CC friend w/AT&T how the international thing worked for them. I know we can do calls & data in the USVI. It's the at-sea time that I need. I'm not adding anything to my cell service or taking any chances until I'm more certain the ship won't charge for use if their tower to access my service. :)

You will be charged by your provider for the use of the ship's cell tower. It used to be a company called "Cellular at Sea" but there may be a new one now.

Verizon's web site will list all the ships that have towers that will carry your phone and the cost per minute for using those towers.

Texting is much cheaper than voice. Data is extremely expensive. Be aware of how to turn of your data roaming feature on your smart phone.

Verizon is on the CDMA system and I know that some of the VI, like St. Thomas use the GSM system which is used by AT&T and T-Mobile. Since we travel a lot, I have a global phone which is capable of using both systems. Many smartphones have this capability so check with Verizon to see if your phone is global then call them, ask for International and get the info from them.

@steveru621, I'd love to hear from a CC friend w/AT&T how the international thing worked for them. I know we can do calls & data in the USVI. It's the at-sea time that I need. I'm not adding anything to my cell service or taking any chances until I'm more certain the ship won't charge for use if their tower to access my service. :)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten..._Connected.pdf

There is no circumstance where you will be charged by the ship for cell service. What I don't know is how and what AT&T will charge you.

My mother-in-law called AT&T and added an international plan to her phone for a set number of minutes & texts. Mother-in-law called RCI to ask if she's out to sea and uses her cell phone will she incur additional charge from the cruise line. They told her as long as she used her international plan then no, the cruise line won't charge her. Here's my question: if you're out to sea and use your cell phone even with an international plan the "tower" you hit belongs to the ship. They'll charge for that, right?

Thanks!

According to the cruise ship information on the ATT website, they will assess an international roaming 'pay per use' fee for voice calls while at sea using the cell equipment on the ship.

This rate is listed at $2.50/minute.

It also mentions that an 'international' plan is not necessary to use their service on a cruise ship.

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1584&MNC=410&DID1=309&DID2=&STEP=5

They also offer some package calls at a substantial savings (see website)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten..._Connected.pdf

There is no circumstance where you will be charged by the ship for cell service. What I don't know is how and what AT&T will charge you.

Does it matter who is the one billing you.? Your still not going to get it for free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The chargers from the cell tower on the ship will be charged back to your phone company. Even with an international roaming you could be as much as $2.50 per minute for yours calls. Suggest that you turn off the phones and put they in the safe ( especially the teenagers)

Does it matter who is the one billing you.? Your still not going to get it for free

That's true it's not free. No matter what plan AT&T has.

But the bottom line is the OP was looking for correct information. No one likes surprises.

That's true it's not free. No matter what plan AT&T has.

But the bottom line is the OP was looking for correct information. No one likes surprises.

Yes that's my point her first post she said basically you pay for the international plan and that's it.

In my first post I explained that is not so and another poster said I was wrong.

For most people the International Roaming Data charges are the killer. It's easy to forget how much data your smart phone uses without you even doing anything; weather updates, automatic updates for email, etc.

I always turn off off International data on my phone, and I don't get any surprise charges.

Aloha,

John

I just discussed this with AT&T today. They recently added a cruise ship package that includes Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. There is a calling plan, calling plus text, and calling, text and data. These plans only cover you while on the SHIP. The plan I am getting is $60.00 and includes 50 minutes of talk and 100 text messages. If you exceed that the calling charges are I believe $1.00 per minute and .50 per outbound text message. The inbound message depends on your domestic rate plan. If you have unlimited texting then all inbound texts are free.

If you don't get the plan the rate is $2.50 per minute for calling and the same .50 per text message outbound. Inbound rate is the same as above. This only applies when at sea. The US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are free. Service at other international locations can be obtained through their International Other plan. I believe that was $10.00 for another 50 messages. There are also options for voice and data plans or just straight per minute charges.

It was explained to me that it is very important that you disable your Cellular Data and Data Roaming while on the ship or every time an application hits the tower you will get a data charge even though you are not using it.

So the answer is no your home plan does not cover you on the ship as there are additional charges though they are billed by your carrier.

AT&T's cruising plan is here:

http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?cruise

Make sure to pay attention to the fine print:

One-month minimum required. This offer is limited to and rates apply only to Royal Caribbean International, Azamara Club Cruises, and select Celebrity Cruises ships. If you remove the cruise ship package before your monthly bill cycle ends, the included monthly minutes allotment will be reduced proportionately.

"Cellular at Sea" Display: On-ship networks operate only while in international waters. Therefore, your AT&T Cruise Ship package allowances and overage rates for usage on-ship only apply when "Cellular at Sea" displays on your device. Cruise Ship package allowances and overage rates also apply off-ship, but only to the extent you are attached to land-based cellular networks in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. Everywhere else, (including where "Cellular at Sea" is not displayed), pay-per-use rates apply, unless an additional current package offer applicable to country visited is active on the line of service.

This offer is designed for use on board cruise ships while at sea; therefore, usage on board a cruise ship is required. The international data offer must be added to an existing domestic data plan. Messages received while roaming are billed at applicable domestic rates. This offer is available only through AT&T Customer Care and is not currently available in-store or online.

To the extent you also purchased a Travel Minutes, Global Messaging, or Data Global Add-On package for use when attached to land-based cellular networks in Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean, those rates will prevail over the Cruise Ship package allowance or overage rates. To the extent you continue to use expired calling offers such as World Traveler, AT&T Canada or AT&T Mexico, the Cruise Ship rates will prevail.

Yes as long as she does not exceed whatever she purchased in minutes or messages and also make sure that the cellular data is disabled on the phone or she will get automatic data charges wether she accesses the internet or not. I always see these small amounts of usage on my bill and wondered what they were, now I know. And that the phone says "Cellular at Sea".

So the cruise package (which it sounds like my MiL got) is only applicable at sea when the phone says "Cellular at Sea". And they're saying there will be no additional costs. Am I reading that right?

Just be careful about only using the "at sea" signal--we often pick up land signals even when sailing (this is likely more of an issue in the Med than between islands in the Caribbean, but could still happen there). And, any time you are in port, or entering or leaving port, the signal will be local and not from the ship.

sweetpee, are you talking about keeping in touch with your traveling companions, or keeping in touch with people back home?

If you want to keep in touch with your traveling companions, you can use the ships phones to call each others cabins. You can leave voicemail on the cabin phones for free. You can even do it the old fashioned way, and leave paper notes for each other (pick a specific place in your cabin(s) to leave notes so you all know where to look. Post-its on a mirror work well.)

sweetpee, are you talking about keeping in touch with your traveling companions, or keeping in touch with people back home?

If you want to keep in touch with your traveling companions, you can use the ships phones to call each others cabins. You can leave voicemail on the cabin phones for free. You can even do it the old fashioned way, and leave paper notes for each other (pick a specific place in your cabin(s) to leave notes so you all know where to look. Post-its on a mirror work well.)

This is exactly what we do. There are public phones all over the ship if you pay attention and look. My teens know to make a quick call to the room and let me know if they move to a new location. Often at night it is "we will be in the teen club or park cafe, if we go anywhere else we'll call" sort of thing. Us adults also leave a written "plan" and/or call and leave the teens a message about where we are going so they could find us if need be. It always works very well for us.

Yep. Need to keep in touch with our own teenagers as well as my inlaws. We had planned on the sticky notes thing for our teenagers but that won't work for my mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or the adult cousins who are also onboard. Wouldn't phone messages be cumbersome given you'd need to continually be rechecking for messages? Such a big ship, I'm getting the feeling we won't be seeing the others too often which is a shame considering that's the purpose in going. There's really no easy solution. Even with my mother-in-law's neat cell package it's only useful if we all do it too but I don't see us going that route. Too iffy.

It is, however, interesting that this cell option is being offered. That's got to be useful to someone somewhere. Right?

You will be charged by your provider for the use of the ship's cell tower. It used to be a company called "Cellular at Sea" but there may be a new one now.

Verizon's web site will list all the ships that have towers that will carry your phone and the cost per minute for using those towers.

Texting is much cheaper than voice. Data is extremely expensive. Be aware of how to turn of your data roaming feature on your smart phone.

Verizon is on the CDMA system and I know that some of the VI, like St. Thomas use the GSM system which is used by AT&T and T-Mobile. Since we travel a lot, I have a global phone which is capable of using both systems. Many smartphones have this capability so check with Verizon to see if your phone is global then call them, ask for International and get the info from them.

Verizon also has a plan that if you need a phone that will work in the ports you are traveling to they will rent you one. They send it to you, you activate it, use it on the cruise then return it once your home and reactivate your old phone. If you go to your providers website they should have info on charges while at sea. I didn't feel the need on the ship, just wanted to use the phone while onshore. We just call from a courtesy phone near the elevators and leave a messages on a cabin phones which is free. :D We also discuss at dinner the night before what everyone's plan is for the next day.

BonVoyage

Dawna