[B]Review. QM2 to New York, Quebec and back[/B]

badge1771

Voyage Queen Mary 2 Southampton to New York and then Newport Rhode Island, Boston Mass., Bar Harbor Maine, St Johns New Brunswick, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Quebec , back to New York and then Southampton. Ok let me say it. This cruise was not good. It was FAB. U. LOUS. And no it was not a cruise. It was a voyage. Queen Mary 2 apparently does not cruise, it voyages. So according to Leon our Entertainment Manager.

First of all I am going to get the moans out of the way. OK here goes. Hmm, hmm. Just a minute, let me think. OK got one. The bathroom towels were not fluffy. That’s definitely a moan. OK here is another. Everything on board is pricey. Excursions are very expensive. But we didn’t want to do any, anyway so that cost us nothing. The captain was no where to be seen. He did have some book signings but you weren’t allowed to take leaflets or menus because ‘his time is precious’. We saw him at a Sunday service but that’s it. OK that’s enough moans.

We ate in the Brittania restaurant on 2 separate tables. To New York we were on a table for 4 with Mel and Anne from Wales. Two lovely people who we got on well with. From New York we went on a table for 2 (we asked to change as the first table was right next the plate collecting area and was noisy) which was quite good. We enjoyed that. We weren’t letting anyone down when we ate in the Kings Court, which we did a couple of times. The food was excellent. There was lots of choice and even a healthy option. The waiters and wine waiter were very good and attentive to your needs. We talked to them and they responded. Our servers were Victoria from South Africa and Bernhard from the Phillipines. The servings were not massive but I can honestly say I never left the table still hungry. Some puddings deserved custard so I asked for extra (or even instead of the added sauce or ice cream) and always got extra. Mel liked extra custard – a bucket he said, although we never got anything quite as large- so we used to share a large jug full. I had a bottle of Mullygrubber Shiraz/Cabernet which was quite good. This was $32 a bottle plus 15% but this lasted 3 or 4 nights which was fine by me. They don’t sell this by the glass.

Our room was 4199, 8 cabins from the back on deck 4, starboard side. A spacious cabin with sofa and coffee table. The bathroom was small but was OK. The shower, if the head was not turned away slightly, used to wet a corner of the bath mat. The toiletries were very nice, Gilchrist and Soames, with regular refills. What was really nice was the bath robe and slippers. As I have said the towels were not fluffy but were OK. There was plenty of hanging space for 27 nights in the wardrobes and enough drawers as well. Quite a large safe was installed in the centre wardrobe.

There is some vibration and engine noise in the cabin and slightly more in the bathroom. On the balcony there is noticeable engine noise. The balcony was of the sheltered type and was very good. Little wind got onto the balcony and you could sit out if you cared to but being mid to late October was a mite cold. On the return from New York, being on the starboard side we had some lovely sunny days when we could relax on the balcony.

The bed was very comfortable with loads of pillows and you could get 4 cases under quite easily.

The disco was right under our cabin and you got a very slight bass noise from there. But this wasn’t by any means uncomfortable.

The shows in the theatre were very good and some were superb. The QM2 singers and dancers were brilliant and there were 2 shows by these, Appasionata and Viva Italia which were world class. In general the other entertainers were good but some go down into the audience so you can lose site of them if you sit in the wrong place.

New York

We caught the subway from the nearest station which was Carroll Street. This was about 1.5 miles depending on your route. The best way was to go left from the ship and left at the first big building with a large forecourt. This goes right at the end of the straight. At the next road turn left onto Imlay Street and again this goes right at the end. Turn left onto Van Brunt Street and go about a block until you see the garden on the corner which is Green Meadow Local Residents garden (just after 135 Van Brunt). Turn right here. This is President Street. Go down this to the subway on the corner of Smith Street. Half way down you come to a highway. Just turn left, cross the bridge and turn right. Turn left and you are back on President St. The subway is the F line. We got off at Broadway and Lafayette. Each journey costs $2.5.

The first day we walked around Battery Park and the 9/11 Memorial and shopped. The second day we walked the High Line. Take the subway to Washington Square which is a nice square to look around and then walk to Gansevoort Street which is near 14th St. The High Line is a 1 mile walk on what used to be a high level rail line which was closed in the 1980’s. It is a lovely walk over the streets.

There was a shuttle from the ship which took you to Macey’s store for $40.

Newport, Rhode Island

This was at anchor and we tendered in. They tell you not to go to the tender ticket line until you are ready to go ashore but the number of people that did was amazing. We got 2 tickets which has a number on and when they call this number is when someone will lead you to the tender which is one of the lifeboats. This whole procedure from collecting the ticket to landing in Newport took 1 ¼ hours. We walked around Newport and then walked across to the far coast and did the coastal path past some nice ‘cottages’. We caught the old trolley bus back into town for a couple of dollars each.

On the way back to the ship we sat on top of the tender which gave some stunning shots of the ship as we approached.

Boston, Massachusetts

We caught the shuttle into Boston for $14 each which we thought was worthwhile and this dropped us off at Quincey Market. Then we walked. The Freedom Trail, city centre, Quincey Market, we did them all. So the shuttle back to the ship was a welcome relief. The weather was great and it was a fabulous day. You need to do your own research on the Freedom Trail but essentially you follow a red line from Boston Common to the Bunker Hill Monument for 2.5 miles. It’s mostly flat.

Bar Harbor, Maine

Tendered into centre (a lot quicker than Newport) and walked around. This is a lovely town with some good shops. The shore path was excellent with some great views of the ship.

St Johns, New Brunswick.

Moored 50 yards from town centre at Marco Polo Wharf. We caught the bus to the Reversing Falls for $2.5 per person. The driver dropped us off at Douglas St where we walked down to the Reversing Falls. The time of day we were there, we didn’t see the reversing but we did see whirlpools start and then still watching the water became perfectly calm and placid until 30 mins later it started again so you could see the whirlpools getting slowly bigger. There is a lovely viewing platform to see all this. Also a shop where you could buy yourself a reminder of your visit. The number 1 bus actually takes you to the falls and you catch the same one for returning. The tour from the ship was $52 dollars for 1.5 hours.

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Try not to get to Halifax on a Sunday as it is closed!! We did and it was so quiet. To get to the Titanic graves go to Barrington Street jct South St and catch a number 9 bus. This was $1.75 for senior. Ask for a transfer which allows you to catch any bus for the next 90 mins for free. The graves are just down the road from the bus stop. Actually where the bus stops there is a graveyard for the Jewish passengers who died but this was locked but looking over the wall you can see the Titanic graves. Walk down the road a few yards and you get to the cemetery entrance and there are signs to the graves. Going back into Halifax cross the road to the bus stop and get the same bus back. On a Sunday they are every hour!!

There is good Wi-Fi in the terminal building

Quebec.

The berth was right in the centre of the New Town an easy walk to the steps or funicular to get you into the Old Town which is a nice walk.

Montmorency Falls. Do not believe all you read about these falls. Some have said they are not worth a visit. Nonsense. They are spectacular. They are higher than Niagara but not as wide. There is some serious water going over these falls in October. I wonder if Summer time there isn’t as much. To get there walk into the Old Town and head for Place D’Youville where you get to the Rue Saint Jean. Catch a 800 bus on this side for the falls. $3 each. At the terminal walk through the fence and down to the falls. There were no signs for the falls which we found strange. On return catch the 800 again. If you want to go to a superb mall stay on the bus and get off at CHUL/LAURIER, walk through the car park to the mall. There is a map on the bus to show you where you are.

Tips

A controversial subject. All I can do is tell you what we did. We paid the full amount which came to $620 about £405. I asked at the Pursers Desk how this was distributed and they told me 40% goes to housekeeping and 60% to dining and I was happy at this.

And thats it. We had a fabulous time on this beautiful ship and will certainly go on another voyage with her or one of the other Queens.

What fantastic information! I always like knowing alternative ways to do things, rather than being herded on an excursion. Your descriptions make it sound so easy.

It's a trip I'd love to do one day, so I'll copy your tips and keep them for the future.

I loved your review! I agree with fantasy! Great alternative tips and directions to get to and from places. I also loved the info regarding ship tour prices versus bus, trolley, etc. It does sound like a very nice trip and hopefully will get to do it one day. Interesting to note was the bass noise from the disco and the vibrations and noise in that particular cabin as well. I will also be saving your notes for further use. Thank you once again for your wonderful review!

Barbara

Thank you for posting. Some good information regarding the ports.

I agree with you regarding the towels. I was on board recently and occasionally had a fluffy towel but most of the time they were well-worn.

The Captain was rarely seen or heard from Most days he did not do the noon report from the bridge and it was delivered by the Officer of the Watch.

I was on board recently and occasionally had a fluffy towel but most of the time they were well-worn.

On QV recently, I was happy with all the towels.

However, I went on an MSC cruise with friends in August and my first towel was not only extremely worn; it was also greyish! Threadbare would better describe it.

Can you tell us what the sea conditions were like on both your transatlantic crossings? Despite having done many cruises with Cunard, I'm worried about transatlantics at this time of year. However, there's something I want to attend in the US next October & as I don't fly, QM2 is my only option, but I'm terrified of hurricane force winds. As you don't specifically mention the sea conditions, I presume they mustn't have been too bad.

Carol.

Can you tell us what the sea conditions were like on both your transatlantic crossings? Despite having done many cruises with Cunard, I'm worried about transatlantics at this time of year. However, there's something I want to attend in the US next October & as I don't fly, QM2 is my only option, but I'm terrified of hurricane force winds. As you don't specifically mention the sea conditions, I presume they mustn't have been too bad.

Carol.

I have crossed the Atlantic numerous times at different times of the year and I can assure you that the seas are mostly very well behaved with slight swells. If there is some heavier weather and you are sailing in QM2, you will be on one of the most stable platforms ever built. If you sailed on QE2 then I understand why you might be concerned, QM2's stability makes that of the QE2 look like a plastic bath toy being tossed around.

Thank you for the comprehensive port - by - port review as I have contemplated taking this voyage. What do you recall of formal nights? Was formal dress enforced in the restaurant and theater? I was quite disappointed regarding lack of such enforcement on a round trip involving two TAs this summer. It makes me hesitant to book another voyage but that's just me.

Voyage Queen Mary 2 Southampton to New York and then Newport Rhode Island, Boston Mass., Bar Harbor Maine, St Johns New Brunswick, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Quebec , back to New York and then Southampton. Ok let me say it. This cruise was not good. It was FAB. U. LOUS.

We had a fabulous time on this beautiful ship and will certainly go on another voyage with her or one of the other Queens.

EX. CELL.ENT stuff. So glad to hear you enjoyed your voyage. QM2 is a wonderful ship, so well maintained and so beautiful.

Capnpugwash,

Thanks for your reply. I do know that QM2 is much more stable than QE2. We experienced bad weather on both the full world cruises I did on QM2 & I wasn't seasick. However, tales of 40ft swells on autumn Atlantic crossings worry me, as we didn't experience anything like that on the world cruises. However, I'll probably bite the bullet & go for it.

Thank you for the comprehensive port - by - port review as I have contemplated taking this voyage. What do you recall of formal nights? Was formal dress enforced in the restaurant and theater? I was quite disappointed regarding lack of such enforcement on a round trip involving two TAs this summer. It makes me hesitant to book another voyage but that's just me.
BlueRiband, I was aboard QM2 last month for the New England/Canada cruise. There were 4 formal nights and on the formal nights I can assure you that on all the 4 formal nights in the Britannia Restaurant and Royal Court Theater all the passengers did follow the formal dress code. Regards,Jerry

Hi everyone

There were 11 formal nights on this voyage which was quite a lot we felt. But what the heck we enjoy dressing up. As for enforcement I am not sure. On the first formal, one guy came in with an open shirt and suit but 5 mins later he left. What happened there I do not know. And I never saw anyone else in casual gear on a formal night in the restaurant.

The seas were calm going to New York but the last 3 or 4 days before Southampton were rough. Now this is open to interpretation. One friend said he went across the Bay of Biscay and the waves were hitting the bridge. Nothing like that at all. Just rough. Sorry I can't be any more accurate than that. But this ship can take rough without a problem.

Dave