Silver Galapagos Finally Made it onboard Nov 9th 2013

carefreecruise

You are making me wonder if we should have gone with Celebrity- at least it is what it is. Work in progress...........hmmm.

Just had dinner with the Captain and the happiest place to work right now is the Silver Galapagos. Employees from Celebrity are trying to get transferred to the Silver Galapagos due to better working conditions and bigger cabins . Make no mistake, the national park controls all employment and nobody quits, get fired or is transferred to somewhere else without the national parks permission. You can get in the biggest fight at work but nobody can fire you. Employment for life with retirement is what any ship operator is looking at in this park system. Looks like Sept 2014 this ship will go into one month dry dock to finish the ship.

This doesn't sound likes it's worth the $$$ u r paying for it HOWEVER are u enjoying the wonderful experience with all the animals? I reckon Galapagos is one of the best experiences u can have.

Cheers

Jennifer

Edited by ging466

Thanks, Carefree Cruise, for the informative reviews. I am going on Dec. 14 cruise and will try to keep an open mind but plan an inspection as you did. I think I have been spoiled by Le Ponant's Le Boreal, a luxury expedition ship that I took to Antarctica and the Arctic. I recognize that Silver Galapagos is still adjusting but had expected all the interior would be new and spiffy. I am sure the whole experience will be fine, and the Galapagos wildlife spectacular, which, after all, is the objective.:) Enjoy your final night onboard.

Thanks, Carefree Cruise, for the informative reviews. I am going on Dec. 14 cruise and will try to keep an open mind but plan an inspection as you did. I think I have been spoiled by Le Ponant's Le Boreal, a luxury expedition ship that I took to Antarctica and the Arctic. I recognize that Silver Galapagos is still adjusting but had expected all the interior would be new and spiffy. I am sure the whole experience will be fine, and the Galapagos wildlife spectacular, which, after all, is the objective.:) Enjoy your final night onboard.

Well, for what they charge, you sure should expect that. Yes, the animals are amazing, but you are paying a lot!

We are on the same cruise, are you going to put your names down for the meet and great?

Well, for what they charge, you sure should expect that. Yes, the animals are amazing, but you are paying a lot!

Yes your paying a lot. This person that hijacked the thread does not understand you get what you pay for. Have been talking to other guest on other ships and yes they are seeing the same animals but not having the same after or before excursion experiences. This thread is about Silversea not who has the cheapest cruise or who sleeps in a closet to save money. Just like fine dining some get it and others are happy with a big Mac and can't figure out why anyone would spend so much money on a meal. So for the people that care about this ship, I will finish the review on Sunday and post it up on Silversea section on Cruise Critics.

Yes your paying a lot. This person that hijacked the thread does not understand you get what you pay for. Have been talking to other guest on other ships and yes they are seeing the same animals but not having the same after or before excursion experiences. This thread is about Silversea not who has the cheapest cruise or who sleeps in a closet to save money. Just like fine dining some get it and others are happy with a big Mac and can't figure out why anyone would spend so much money on a meal. So for the people that care about this ship, I will finish the review on Sunday and post it up on Silversea section on Cruise Critics.

Excuse me, I did not hijack the thread..I simple stated a fact. You are paying a lot. If below satisfactory is your thing..then great! Having been to the Galapagos and going again, I have some experience on what you should get for your money. Yes, have been on Silversea..and not impressed!

Also, the food we had on the Silver Shadow was horrible. If you like it..that is great. However, you cannot live on a reputation that you cannot live up to,

At this point it is difficult to compare the various Galapagos options as the Silver Galapagos is so new. I thank Carefreecruise for his/her honesty with one of the first comprehensive reviews. I have researched many Galapagos options and I am willing to put some faith in the Silver Galapagos. I'm not sure why Merriem is commenting on this thread as any intelligent traveller on this forum will have explored all the options including celebrity and obviously has chosen Silversea instead. As Merriem must know all food in the Galapagos must be obtained locally (a celebrity ship lost it's license for a period of time due to ignoring this rule in June of this year) so comparing food to the Silver Shadow is not valid. I am not a cheerleader of any cruise line. I look at itinerary and sail with the company that fits my needs. Thanks for your recommendation Merriem but I have chosen the April 19/14 cruise on Silver Galapagos.

At this point it is difficult to compare the various Galapagos options as the Silver Galapagos is so new. I thank Carefreecruise for his/her honesty with one of the first comprehensive reviews. I have researched many Galapagos options and I am willing to put some faith in the Silver Galapagos. I'm not sure why Merriem is commenting on this thread as any intelligent traveller on this forum will have explored all the options including celebrity and obviously has chosen Silversea instead. As Merriem must know all food in the Galapagos must be obtained locally (a celebrity ship lost it's license for a period of time due to ignoring this rule in June of this year) so comparing food to the Silver Shadow is not valid. I am not a cheerleader of any cruise line. I look at itinerary and sail with the company that fits my needs. Thanks for your recommendation Merriem but I have chosen the April 19/14 cruise on Silver Galapagos.

I hope you have a great time. It sounds like the ship was not ready to sail per the original poster. However, I know that Silversea customers are loyal. We were not pleased, but do love the Galapagos .

We actually have sailed on the celebrity xpedition and were not pleased. Main problems were the food and the attitude of some staff. It was clean enough, but our room was tiny and dark. The guides were very good for the most part though.

We had determined that we would not return unless a better ship option became available. I am hoping that is silversea, but I am giving them a couple of years to get things together. I think getting the crew into the silversea way of doing things, plus dealing with the food restrictions are going to be huge challenges.

finished the review of Silver Galapagos and sent it in for Cruise Critics to review prior to posting. Sitting in a very nice hotel room Silversea paid for us to relax in till our midnight flight back to the states. They picked us up at the airport and will bring us back to catch our flight. Even are paying the in room bar fees. Its just the little things like this that make traveling fun all the way home....

Edited by carefreecruise

This doesn't sound likes it's worth the $$$ u r paying for it HOWEVER are u enjoying the wonderful experience with all the animals? I reckon Galapagos is one of the best experiences u can have.

Cheers

Jennifer

It's going to take some time to soak in. Will never be able to walk in a zoo and not think about the Galapagos. We actually had to watch were you were stepping to not hurt any animals. We witnessed mating dances and some XXX of animals, also survival of the fittest taking place right in front of our eyes. Seeing animals in pens at zoos from now on will not be any fun...

It's going to take some time to soak in. Will never be able to walk in a zoo and not think about the Galapagos. We actually had to watch were you were stepping to not hurt any animals. We witnessed mating dances and some XXX of animals, also survival of the fittest taking place right in front of our eyes. Seeing animals in pens at zoos from now on will not be any fun...

Couldn't agree more...no zoos for me after seeing the Galapagos. I managed to see 2 of the giant turtles going for it up in the highlands...that was something I will never forget :D Having to step over giant iguanas and being up close & personal with all the sea lions...this was the best trip I have ever done. Can't wait to get to Africa some day.

Glad u had a good time carefreecruise.

Cheers

Jennifer

Now I'm envious. With the expedition ships I said - if DH were still here we would be there -- but not now, too old and alone.

Your amazing experiences with the animals makes me feel like this is a big one I'm going to miss -- so will just continue to focus on being grateful for all that we had.

And getting ready to board Silver Spirit next week -- I have nothing to complain about.!

Couldn't agree more...no zoos for me after seeing the Galapagos. I managed to see 2 of the giant turtles going for it up in the highlands...that was something I will never forget :D Having to step over giant iguanas and being up close & personal with all the sea lions...this was the best trip I have ever done. Can't wait to get to Africa some day.

Glad u had a good time carefreecruise.

Cheers

Jennifer

You will love Africa. I was fortunate enough to see South Africa with my youngest daughter this past April (land trip) I will return as DH has this on his bucket list and wasn't on this trip with us.

We also got to Africa last spring and one huge difference between Africa and the Galapagos- you really want to stay in the vehicle most of the time since stepping over lions and getting up close and personal with water buffalo is not quite the same as cavorting with sea lions. :eek::D:D:D But it is amazing and I am so looking forward to our trip to the Galapagos- Feb is coming up seasonably quickly now with the holidays taking a big chunk out of the time left.

stepping over lions and getting up close and personal with water buffalo is not quite the same as cavorting with sea lions. But it is amazing and I am so looking forward to our trip to the Galapagos

LOL 5waldos...yes the animals in the Galapagos don't want to eat u!:D

Dusababy, have a think about going. I did it solo and I'm very accident prone but I'm still here to tell the tale :D The guides are very good at sizing up who needs to go slow and who needs a little extra assistance. We had an 86 yr old on my boat. I managed to fall over more than she did :eek:

Cheers

Jennifer

Dusababy, I am with going with ging, really reconsider. I am not spry nor agile and I did it. I couldn't do everything and go everywhere but I could watch from afar and enjoy the view! We are going on the Discoverer and I am quite certain I will miss things but I am going anyhow!

LOL 5waldos...yes the animals in the Galapagos don't want to eat u!:D

Dusababy, have a think about going. I did it solo and I'm very accident prone but I'm still here to tell the tale :D The guides are very good at sizing up who needs to go slow and who needs a little extra assistance. We had an 86 yr old on my boat. I managed to fall over more than she did :eek:

Cheers

Jennifer

Thanks for the encouragement Jennifer. LOL about you falling over.....I'm not 86 but not the spring chicken I used to be;)

We leave Feb 1 and I hope the ship is up to standard by then. It would be very disappointing to have a substandard ship and yet be charged higher fares than other lines. I am becoming leery because this is to be a one time opportunity to take my son along and he loves nature and any live animals. I like larger staterooms which has always attracted us to Silversea. I realize that the expedition ships will be smaller but i do feel the ambiance of the cruise should reflect the expected treatment and physical areas just equally as good or better than other cruise lines. If the ship isn't ready for paying customers it shouldn't be offered! We are paid up and can't cancel now so I will keep my fingers crossed for the best!

We leave Feb 1 and I hope the ship is up to standard by then. It would be very disappointing to have a substandard ship and yet be charged higher fares than other lines. I am becoming leery because this is to be a one time opportunity to take my son along and he loves nature and any live animals. I like larger staterooms which has always attracted us to Silversea. I realize that the expedition ships will be smaller but i do feel the ambiance of the cruise should reflect the expected treatment and physical areas just equally as good or better than other cruise lines. If the ship isn't ready for paying customers it shouldn't be offered! We are paid up and can't cancel now so I will keep my fingers crossed for the best!

The review linked to from the other thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1945286 (follow his link for the true horror of his review) has me seriously concerned.

Edited by 5waldos