Jet Boat Tour??

mollanjake

I did a forum search, but didn't find any recent info. I just found a jet boat tour on the Alyeska Resort website. IceBlue on Twentymile River. Think it is offered by Alaska Backcountry Access. With some searching found one to Knick Glacier.

Anyone ever done one of these?

Hadn't planned on driving north, but would it be worth while to drive up to Palmer for a Knik Glacier Tour.

The Twentymile River would certainly fit in with our current tentative plans, but company has some bad reviews on a Trip Advisor.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done one of these tours or been with the tour companies recently.

Thanks!

Thanks BQ!

How did you know I would do this or PWS cruise???

Northern Lights has a buy-1 coupon for Major Marine blackstone cruise and only a 25% off 4 for Knik Glacier(only 3 of us). That would makes the Blackstone the clear front runner....

From what you have seen do the glacier cruise keep kids interested? I am sure the naturalist helps with this.

I am thinking the Jet Boat will be like an Everglades airboat only cold and no gators....is this a fair comparison?

Thanks!

Thanks BQ!

How did you know I would do this or PWS cruise???

Northern Lights has a buy-1 coupon for Major Marine blackstone cruise and only a 25% off 4 for Knik Glacier(only 3 of us). That would makes the Blackstone the clear front runner....

From what you have seen do the glacier cruise keep kids interested? I am sure the naturalist helps with this.

I am thinking the Jet Boat will be like an Everglades airboat only cold and no gators....is this a fair comparison?

Thanks!

You know your kids, I can not speculate. Major Marine does have a Park Ranger on board and they do offer the Jr Ranger program for kids. My 14 year old nephew was very determined to collect all the different pins he could.

Sorry, you are WAY off with your "jet boat" assumption. There should be some photos on the vendor's web site.

Look on youtube for Knik Glacier and Whittier cruises.

Also, www.alaska.org has a large Video and Photo gallery.

The last trip report posted on tripadvisor included photos of the Knik Glacier tour.

If you're looking for something to do around the Turnagain Arm, there's white water rafting at Six Mile near Hope, or the Alaska Railroad has the Spencer Glacier trip.

Look on youtube for Knik Glacier and Whittier cruises.

Also, www.alaska.org has a large Video and Photo gallery.

The last trip report posted on tripadvisor included photos of the Knik Glacier tour.

If you're looking for something to do around the Turnagain Arm, there's white water rafting at Six Mile near Hope, or the Alaska Railroad has the Spencer Glacier trip.

Thanks, I hadn't found the video/ photo gallery. Some really great photos in there. I did look up the Knik Glacier Tour on TA. The jet/air boat tours look great to us, so I was curious why they weren't really mentioned on CC. I guess most people who head north go to Denali ASAP.

Thanks for suggestion on rafting....I'm way too chicken for that!

Yes, the Photo/Video Gallery at alaskaa.org is pretty good. Gives you a peek at various vendors, excursions, etc

Sorry, I meant for you to look at the Trip Reports in TriipAdvisor. This is the last trip report posted in 2013 and it included a visit to Knik Glacier. Within the report is a link to their smugmug photos. Check out those icebergs! Looks like a unique experience. Certainly caught my interest.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k6965083-Trip_report_2013_2_week_RV_trip_and_Bear_Viewing_at_SSCL-Alaska.html#53959231

No disrespect to the Knik Glacier tour (I live less than 20 miles away) but you will be much more impressed by the glaciers seen on the Major Marine tour. Blackstone is a great short trip for families and both Major and Phillips Cruises do a great job. The glacial calving is often quite spectacular (but never guaranteed).

The drive down Turnagain Arm to the small port of Whittier is also very scenic.