I need BEST Beach advice!

skigirl1968

Looks like we are booking RCL Navigator if the Seas June 28, 2014. I have no idea about Cozumel, Belize City, and Roatan. We are beach lovers and want to make the right choice for our one or two beach days. If someone with experience can advise me I would be SO grateful!

We are a family of four w/two boys 12 & 13 + Auntie and Uncle--very cool 60somethings. Auntie likes shade. Uncle likes a good martini. We only get to see them once a year, so a disappointing excursion distracts from our time together. (Horrible experience on Grandeur of the Seas [Aug '13 caused us to be at guest services more than the bar:(... That's for another post)

:DOur Profile: We love cabanas (up for a rental$), white sand, crystal water, tiki bars, lounge chairs (waiter service a +), bathrooms/showers, live music. **Half Moon Cay (a la Carnival) was an absolute dream.:)**

DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH: coral beaches, tourist traps, aggressive cabbies (like in Nassau :mad:), coves (aka stagnant toilet basins Coco Cay:(), bartenders who are "drunker" than me (again Coco Cay :rolleyes:), unappealing amenities.

Love Ziplines, snorkeling, water sports, yada yada...

Also love eateries/pubs, live music, art, shopping off the beaten path...

Thanks in advance!

Looks like we are booking RCL Navigator if the Seas June 28, 2014. I have no idea about Cozumel, Belize City, and Roatan. We are beach lovers and want to make the right choice for our one or two beach days. If someone with experience can advise me I would be SO grateful!

We are a family of four w/two boys 12 & 13 + Auntie and Uncle--very cool 60somethings. Auntie likes shade. Uncle likes a good martini. We only get to see them once a year, so a disappointing excursion distracts from our time together. (Horrible experience on Grandeur of the Seas [Aug '13 caused us to be at guest services more than the bar:(... That's for another post)

:DOur Profile: We love cabanas (up for a rental$), white sand, crystal water, tiki bars, lounge chairs (waiter service a +), bathrooms/showers, live music. **Half Moon Cay (a la Carnival) was an absolute dream.:)**

DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH: coral beaches, tourist traps, aggressive cabbies (like in Nassau :mad:), coves (aka stagnant toilet basins Coco Cay:(), bartenders who are "drunker" than me (again Coco Cay :rolleyes:), unappealing amenities.

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps you missed cruisecritic the first cruise. You can get great excursion advice over on the Ports of Call section. Check out the roll call board as well you may find someone looking to fill up an excursion that you may be interested in.

Except for the private island/beaches, a guidebook will tell you ALL you need to know about beaches/shopping/sites in each of your stops....where the amenities are, what kind of beach/sand/surf, each beach has, and how to get there!

Get a guidebook at your local library!

Edited by cb at sea

I have used cruise critic before, I posted here for some personal experiences, dos and don'ts, etc. guide books and excursion descriptions are advertisements. For instance, I would recommend, if going to Bermuda, despite what the ship says, rent a moped, buy a bagged lunch in Hamilton and beach hop on the south shore...just be careful and mind the time. In Nassau, save a boatload of $ by paying for a room ($150) at the hotel across the street from atlantis, take the four complimentary pool & water park bracelets, eat lunch poolside...and mind the time. Catch a cab right outside the main entrance!

You won't find those things in a guidebook.

Roatan is gorgeous. It's one of my favorite ports. We had the best lovster ever at the Blind Tiger. The cameo factory was fantastic. I recommend tex with Victor Bodden tours.

Cozumel. I like Paradise Beach but it may not be what you look for in a beach.

Belize is a city. No beach in sight so you'll need an excursion. The ruins were cool.

I have used cruise critic before, I posted here for some personal experiences, dos and don'ts, etc. guide books and excursion descriptions are advertisements. For instance, I would recommend, if going to Bermuda, despite what the ship says, rent a moped, buy a bagged lunch in Hamilton and beach hop on the south shore...just be careful and mind the time. In Nassau, save a boatload of $ by paying for a room ($150) at the hotel across the street from atlantis, take the four complimentary pool & water park bracelets, eat lunch poolside...and mind the time. Catch a cab right outside the main entrance!

You won't find those things in a guidebook.

The ports of call section is where we are suppose to post and find port excursion advice. The roll call section is where we are suppose to find people to take shared excursions with. A guidebook can help narrow down what are the best sights to see. I find them especially helpful for med cruises.

Edited by Karysa

The ports of call section is where we are suppose to post and find port excursion advice. The roll call section is where we are suppose to find people to take shared excursions with. A guidebook can help narrow down what are the best sights to see. I find them especially helpful for med cruises.

Agree! Op you'll need to do some of the looking.

Thanks in advance!

Please, can you post what horrible experience you had on the Granduer? We are on the Grandeur in January and would like to know. Thanks.

Please, can you post what horrible experience you had on the Granduer? We are on the Grandeur in January and would like to know. Thanks.

Hey there Arzeena, Please don't think Grandeur is going to be a bust! We had a string of bad luck and weren't familiar with RCL at all, so it was a learning experience. I have issues...when I pay for something...I expect a 100% highly satisfied experience. I really don't know if that exists these days. I'll give you a list of things that will help you avoid frustration.

1. Look over your stateroom asap, and if there are things missing or not up to par, let your steward know immediately. If it doesn't improve, call guest services. (the missing robes and SOAP were a problem)

2. Take a minute and see where they have placed you in the dining room. If you don't care for it...the will work with you.

3. The Windjammer is soooo tight...we walked in and out...the Park Café in the back of the Solarium was awesome...like a deli...soups, salads made fresh, Panninis, etc. (TIP: when bbq appears...eat because it is gone before you know it)

4.Skip the sushi...especially the guy wheeling it around on a cart! Not a good scene...

5. Bring your ipod (thank god we had a portable ihome speaker) because the lack of music was appalling.

6. If it rains...BE CAREFUL!!! SOOOOO MANY SLIPPERY MARBLE FLOORS!

7. Take the space center tour...A. the shopping tour is a waste...and B. It was amazing to see the site...doooooo it......!

8. Coco Cay...we liked the cabana because it was August. It is a coral beach...it is fine walking on the beach, but if you have sensitive feet, bring water shoes. SKIP SNORKELING! nothing to see, WHEN THE BBQ IS SERVING EAT!!!! BECAUSE IT GOES QUICKLY!!!! Take the earliest tender (get to the ticket distributer EARLY...first come) Come off the render walk straight through shopping area to beach and claim your chairs...that will be near everything...bar, bbq, bathroom, band. water park and water slide is a good deal for the kids. Slide is all day..."park" is only for an hour. (Tip: there are showers by the cabanas...bring a freshen up bag)

9. if you want to do Atlantis the right way---without getting ripped off---let me know and I'll tell you how to do it. If you have kids---IT IS SOOOO WORTH IT!

**our favorite lounging place: pool deck, up the stairs, on either side of the jumbo screen...you are in on everything and out of the way of the crowds. The two canopy peaks offer great shade if you like that...and bring a dummy bag and extra magazines. Take two extra chairs just to make sure you get the spot you want.

Definitely take advantage of the Viking lounge (late night is FUN), Schooner bar is low key, South Pacific Lounge wasn't really our thing...skip the talent night/Karoke...not much to see!

Comedians were hysterical...Chops Grill was worth the $...I do not eat beef, but that filet was AMAZING!!! We skipped both formal nights and went to Chops and Giovanni's (Gio not great). We had to wear formal to Chops, but it was fun.

If you are spending a night in Baltimore, let me know...I can recommend some good eats and sees!

The crew has a lot of freedom on this ship...coco cay was interesting ...much drinking for the crew...they are in no rush whatsoever because the tips are added automatically...keep that in mind.

• 1 month later...
Hey there Arzeena, Please don't think Grandeur is going to be a bust! We had a string of bad luck and weren't familiar with RCL at all, so it was a learning experience. I have issues...when I pay for something...I expect a 100% highly satisfied experience. I really don't know if that exists these days. I'll give you a list of things that will help you avoid frustration.

1. Look over your stateroom asap, and if there are things missing or not up to par, let your steward know immediately. If it doesn't improve, call guest services. (the missing robes and SOAP were a problem)

2. Take a minute and see where they have placed you in the dining room. If you don't care for it...the will work with you.

3. The Windjammer is soooo tight...we walked in and out...the Park Café in the back of the Solarium was awesome...like a deli...soups, salads made fresh, Panninis, etc. (TIP: when bbq appears...eat because it is gone before you know it)

4.Skip the sushi...especially the guy wheeling it around on a cart! Not a good scene...

5. Bring your ipod (thank god we had a portable ihome speaker) because the lack of music was appalling.

6. If it rains...BE CAREFUL!!! SOOOOO MANY SLIPPERY MARBLE FLOORS!

7. Take the space center tour...A. the shopping tour is a waste...and B. It was amazing to see the site...doooooo it......!

8. Coco Cay...we liked the cabana because it was August. It is a coral beach...it is fine walking on the beach, but if you have sensitive feet, bring water shoes. SKIP SNORKELING! nothing to see, WHEN THE BBQ IS SERVING EAT!!!! BECAUSE IT GOES QUICKLY!!!! Take the earliest tender (get to the ticket distributer EARLY...first come) Come off the render walk straight through shopping area to beach and claim your chairs...that will be near everything...bar, bbq, bathroom, band. water park and water slide is a good deal for the kids. Slide is all day..."park" is only for an hour. (Tip: there are showers by the cabanas...bring a freshen up bag)

9. if you want to do Atlantis the right way---without getting ripped off---let me know and I'll tell you how to do it. If you have kids---IT IS SOOOO WORTH IT!

**our favorite lounging place: pool deck, up the stairs, on either side of the jumbo screen...you are in on everything and out of the way of the crowds. The two canopy peaks offer great shade if you like that...and bring a dummy bag and extra magazines. Take two extra chairs just to make sure you get the spot you want.

Definitely take advantage of the Viking lounge (late night is FUN), Schooner bar is low key, South Pacific Lounge wasn't really our thing...skip the talent night/Karoke...not much to see!

Comedians were hysterical...Chops Grill was worth the $...I do not eat beef, but that filet was AMAZING!!! We skipped both formal nights and went to Chops and Giovanni's (Gio not great). We had to wear formal to Chops, but it was fun.

If you are spending a night in Baltimore, let me know...I can recommend some good eats and sees!

The crew has a lot of freedom on this ship...coco cay was interesting ...much drinking for the crew...they are in no rush whatsoever because the tips are added automatically...keep that in mind.

Thank you so much for posting this. I am sorry for replying after almost 2 months!!:o but this thread just slipped bye!

These tips are great! We are spending a night in Baltimore pre cruise.

Thanks in advance!

Research resorts on the islands you are visiting and inquire about day passes - we have spent the day at five star resorts on many other islands for about $25.00 each for the day. All amenities included except for food and drink, some do include lunch.

No problem! If you would like recommendations for lunch or dinner...Let me know what you are interested in and I can steer you in the right direction. We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance...smack dab in the center of Inner Harbor. The Harborplace Gallery has great little shops and eateries. Believe it or not...Uno Chicago Grill was great! http://704.unotogo.com/zgrid/proc/site/sitep.jsp Definitely Yelp! before you go anywhere to eat. The Rusty Scupper was FANTASTIC, but pricey. I love Baltimore...hope you do too!

• 3 weeks later...