Vancouver areas and hotels

Please can anyone assist me.

We are staying pre cruise in Vancouver for 4 nights. Can you advise what the areas nearest to the cruise terminal are called I have been looking at hotels but Richmond or Downtown do not tell me where they are in relation to the cruise terminal I obviously accept Airport as being close there and perhaps noisy????\Not being people who want Hilton or Embassy Rooms or Rennaissance I would like a clean budget hotel hopefully with breakfast and perhaps shuttle to airport or at least on a quick easy transport link.

It has been suggested that something like Travelodge Langley city would be a possible choice but I do not know where Langley City is in relation to the areas we want.

Thanks very much

We are staying pre cruise in Vancouver for 4 nights. Can you advise what the areas nearest to the cruise terminal are called I have been looking at hotels but Richmond or Downtown do not tell me where they are in relation to the cruise terminal I obviously accept Airport as being close there and perhaps noisy????\Not being people who want Hilton or Embassy Rooms or Rennaissance I would like a clean budget hotel hopefully with breakfast and perhaps shuttle to airport or at least on a quick easy transport link.

It has been suggested that something like Travelodge Langley city would be a possible choice but I do not know where Langley City is in relation to the areas we want.

Thanks very much

Langley is miles away. Don't you have access to google maps? The closest budget hotel is the Days Inn Downtown Vancouver. Steps from the downtown Sky Train (rapid transit) stations from the airport and from the cruise terminal. Hard to beat. The area close to the cruise terminal is variously called downtown , waterfront, and Coal harbour. When you do find google maps, the cruise terminal is labelled 'Canada Place'

Edited by Earl Rosebery

Thanks very much

This map should help you get your bearings:

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.258395,-123.069191&spn=0.209952,0.528374

Airport transport is very very simple as the Canada Line Skytrain subway/elevated train goes from the airport to a couple of blocks from the cruise terminal.

Langley is about 45km east of downtown, not where you want to be for a cruise

This map should help you get your bearings:

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.258395,-123.069191&spn=0.209952,0.528374

Airport transport is very very simple as the Canada Line Skytrain subway/elevated train goes from the airport to a couple of blocks from the cruise terminal.

Langley is about 45km east of downtown, not where you want to be for a cruise

Thanks very much It seems I should stay Downtown so am looking there for the moment.,:)

Thanks very much It seems I should stay Downtown so am looking there for the moment.,:)

If you're trying to pinch the pennies, possibly the best deal downtown is the YWCAHOTEL (more of a hostel). Well rated (check TripAdvisor), and inexpensive.

If you're trying to pinch the pennies, possibly the best deal downtown is the YWCAHOTEL (more of a hostel). Well rated (check TripAdvisor), and inexpensive.

Thank you We often stay inn YHA's so do not min d hostels so long as we can get a private room :):)

Strangely just tried their site and they are dearer than hotels with breakfast so not for us this time

Edited by windsor26

In looking for budget friendly hotels downtown please be aware that the downtown EASTside is where all the homeless and druggies hang out. It goes from skyscrapers and women carrying prada handbags in the WESTend to skid row in the space of a few blocks as you go east on hastings st. Do Not book a hotel east of Carral st or Columbia st on Hastings,Powell, Cordova etc. Ie W Hastings good, East Hastings bad! Just wanted to mention as there are cheap hotels on east hastings street but they cater to clientelle that want to rent the room by the hour, if you catch my drift. Canada place (cruise terminal) and all the attractions listed by BC girl are all in the west end. Other possibily cheaper hotel options are thd Holiday Inn or Park Inn on Broadway, a short skytrain ride to downtown.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Forums mobile app

It is very hard to find an "inexpensive" rack rate for a downtown Vancouver during the Alaska cruise season and particularly the summer. However if you are diligent about watching Hotwire and Priceline line you can often get a very good hotel room for the price of a so called "budget" room.

Hotwire calls the two good downtown areas "shopping and entertainment district" and "coal harbor and stanley park" although the latter is more high end. "Vancouver downtown south" would also be good with a short skytrain ride to real downtown. If you are into outdoors stores (like REI in the usa) there are several on broadway near the so called "vancouver downtown south"hotwire block.

Than k you both it is good to have these warnings As said about Hotwire and Priceline which of their areas should I ask for and would 3 star be the way to go:)

This past year Hotwire tinkered with their map of the downtown area. My recommendation would be to stay in the "Coal Harbour-Stanley Park" area. The "entertainment" district of the "Shopping & Entertainment" area can be a bit rowdy in the wee hours of the morning. That said, you are likely going to get a better rate in the S&E district and almost anything there at 3* is going to be better than the Super 8 on Marine Dr. that you were looking at.

With Priceline the areas are better defined and my advice would be to stick with the "Downtown" area and avoid the "Granville Entertainment District" but that comes with the same caveat noted above.

Putterdude and SA71 Thank you very much for your assistance it is appreciated.

I must get going for the 1 night after the cruise as I expect things will get booked heavily when the ship returns and then go for the pre cruise 4 days I can take a little time as the cruise does not go from Vancouver I have to fly to FLL:D:D

Is this for your panama canal cruise? I was looking at the metro vancouver port cruise ship schedule to see if the Island Princess will dock at Canada place, but can not see it there at all for May?

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

Are you going FLL to LA then getting on another ship to come to Vancouver?

Anyhoo, I am sure you know what you are doing. Just wanted to mention though that come May 1, there is at least one cruise ship in Vancouver every day, on the weekends there are two or three, so I would not wait too long to book the pre cruise days, because lots of OTHER people WILL be cruising out of Vancouver on those days!

Is this for your panama canal cruise? I was looking at the metro vancouver port cruise ship schedule to see if the Island Princess will dock at Canada place, but can not see it there at all for May?

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

Are you going FLL to LA then getting on another ship to come to Vancouver?

Anyhoo, I am sure you know what you are doing. Just wanted to mention though that come May 1, there is at least one cruise ship in Vancouver every day, on the weekends there are two or three, so I would not wait too long to book the pre cruise days, because lots of OTHER people WILL be cruising out of Vancouver on those days!

Hi The cruise starts in FLL and finishes 20 days later in Vanc ouver I know I must book the post cruise day very soon as - you said - the ships will be full and people booking hotels fast It is the 4 days before we fly to FLL I will be more investigating as we shall be having a 'holiday' then not just resting before flying home. I would like some shuttle assistance from the hotel instead of using public transport or taxis so that is why I am hunting a lot.

I think there are free shuttles to Grouse mountain from downtown. As for shuttle to the airport, assuming you are physically able to carry/pull your own luggage the Canada line skytrain is the fastest way...30 min max. Skytrain station is right beside the cruise ship terminal. Skytrain is clean and safe here with departures every few minutes to the airport and despite it's name it is underground in downtown. You want Canada line, not the Expo line or Millenium line (these go to the suburbs). Only the Richmond hotels would have dedicated airport shuttles...a good option if you have an early flight to Aus after your cruise...you dont want to be caught in the morning rush hour trying to get from downtown to richmond (where the airport is) unless necessary. Check yvr.ca for info.

I think there are free shuttles to Grouse mountain from downtown. As for shuttle to the airport, assuming you are physically able to carry/pull your own luggage the Canada line skytrain is the fastest way...30 min max. Skytrain station is right beside the cruise ship terminal. Skytrain is clean and safe here with departures every few minutes to the airport and despite it's name it is underground in downtown. You want Canada line, not the Expo line or Millenium line (these go to the suburbs). Only the Richmond hotels would have dedicated airport shuttles...a good option if you have an early flight to Aus after your cruise...you dont want to be caught in the morning rush hour trying to get from downtown to richmond (where the airport is) unless necessary. Check yvr.ca for info.

Thanks for the info about airtrain We often use public transport so long as there are not too many changes. Our flight back to Australia is almost midnight so should not be too busy. The flight to FLL before the cruise is at 7am so perhaps I should look in the Richmond area for the pre cruise hotel I know it is an internal flight and we can check in on line but it still; means a very early visit to the airport.

Oh yes..7 am means you should be at the airport by 5 am as you will clear USA customs here before you board. Stay downtown for your holiday and then transfer to a Richmond hotel with free airport shuttle (10 min ride) for the night before the flight to FLL. If you stay downtown the first train is 4:48 am...personally I would take a cab at that hour ($40 approx).

Oh yes..7 am means you should be at the airport by 5 am as you will clear USA customs here before you board. Stay downtown for your holiday and then transfer to a Richmond hotel with free airport shuttle (10 min ride) for the night before the flight to FLL. If you stay downtown the first train is 4:48 am...personally I would take a cab at that hour ($40 approx).

Thanks that is a thought although as we have once been to Vancouver before and I think stayed downtown - at least near the Rocky Mounta****r station, we may find lots to do in the Richmond area and stay there the whole time I will do some investigation:D:D Do not know why the asterix instead of letters?

Edited by windsor26

Because of the distance there are no hotels in the downtown area that offer "free" shuttles to or from the airport....at least over the years I have never found one. There are some that do offer a free shuttle to and from Canada Place such as Day's Inn, Hampton Inn, Best Western-Downtown and Executive Inn-Regent Park but given that most hotels are located within blocks of Canada Place you are much better off to focus your room rate rather than a free shuttle. My advice would be to book something on a refundable basis and continue to monitor Hotwire for a better deal.

The Capilano Suspension Bridge does offer free shuttles from/to convenient downtown locations link albeit their spring sked is not up yet. Grouse Mountain also offers free shuttles but only during the summer months link however, it is quite accessible via transit and there are directions on this link.

Yvonne if you want some help with your visit you can email me - my address is in my signature - while I will be cruising in May also I will be back by the time the Island Princess docks at Canada Place east side - that is where all the Princess ships that homeport in Vancouver dock during the Alaska cruise season.

Cheers

Dennis

Yvonne if you want some help with your visit you can email me - my address is in my signature - while I will be cruising in May also I will be back by the time the Island Princess docks at Canada Place east side - that is where all the Princess ships that homeport in Vancouver dock during the Alaska cruise season.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis As we get closer to the time I will take you up on your offer

I have just booked an hotel for the day we leave the ship as I am sure things will get more expensive if lots of ships come in together on 21st May But the 4 days pre cruise I will be sorting out things to do while we wait and will soprt out a better hotel for that visit.

I used priceline and paid $110.40 for one night in The Holiday Inn False Creek but we do not fly home until almost midnight so have time to get from there to the airport easily.

Thank you again Yvonne

I used priceline and paid $110.40 for one night in The Holiday Inn False Creek but we do not fly home until almost midnight so have time to get from there to the airport easily.

You have me a bit confused, the Holiday Inn is on Howe St. and is called the Holiday Inn-Downtown. There is a Quality Inn-False Creek and suspect that may be where you are booked....if that is the case, you will be very close to Ut and maybe he will have you over for a wet.:D Regardless, $110 for a downtown hotel is a good price and it is not likely that you are going to do a whole lot better than that as the Alaska cruise season begins.

If it is indeed the Inn at False Creek - aka Quality Inn I am looking at some of the rooms as I am typing this message - that is how close I am.

I thought for a moment that perhaps the Holiday Inn on Broadway might have rebranded itself as the Holiday Inn on False Creek since it is close and gives a good view but there is nothing on there website to indicate that.

Regardless you have one less thing to worry about.

Cheers

Dennis