Rome Crowne Plaza - Does celebrity do a transfer?

gordylad

Planning to stay at the Crowne Plaza Rome before catching our ship. Having stayed there before on holiday we noticed that it is a Celebrity selected hotel so wondering if there was an option of transfer?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

If you are using a Celebrity selected hotel then they are offering transfers to the ship. If you are using a travel agent, call them and make sure they have arranged it for you. If you are not using a travel agent call Celebrity and have them arrange your transfer. Your preliminary paper work will indicate if you have a transfer reservation or not. When you receive your cruise documents from either Celebrity or your travel agent your transfer coupon will be included provided you have made the reservation. Enjoy your cruise!

I got the impression that the OP is staying there on their own, not through X. You could ask Celebrity if you could buy a seat on their bus but it will be more expensive than arranging transport on your own. Try Rome Cabs or Rome in Limo.

From their hotel in Rome to the port in Civitavecchi is about 50 miles. I would think a cab or limo would be much more expensive than a bus ride purchased through Celebrity. Just saying. If it were me I'd go with Celebrity if I could arrange it.:)

We did the transfer this past summer from the Crowne Plaza in Rome. They had the busses for Princess and Celebrity at the Crowne. The Port is a great distance away (50-60 miles) and the Princess Transfers were $63 RT PP and it was the best money we ever spent. We did not stay in a cruise line hotel (too expensive) and the Crowne is outside of town by a few miles. We booked the transfers separately and caught a taxi to the Crowne.

The bus took us right to the ship and the luggage was in the room in 45 minutes after arrival. We ended in Venice and we put out our luggage the night before and the bags were waiting for us at the Venice airport. I strongly recommend this transfer procedure, as some people took the train and had to carry their bags all the way to ship, as they could not get on the port bus, as there were too many people. The private taxis are very expensive to the port due to the distance.

Good luck and have a great trip.:)

Edited by neilrr

You may purchase the transfers separately or you may purchase them as part of a cruiseline sponsored hotel package. Whether they make more or less sense to your personal situation you will need to do the calculations.

We snagged a really good deal through X at the Crown Plaza pre-trip and it included the transfers (Crown Plaza to ship pre-cruise, Ship to airport post-cruise). The process was effortless for us and was very cost effective (there were three of us).

As a participant who purchased the xfers as part of the hotel package through the cruiseline, we got "preferencial" treatment and were able to book onto a very early bus for the transfer (per our preference). I know some of the transfer-only folks had no option and were forced to wait for a later bus. As others have noted the Crown Plaza is not really "convenient" to the sights in Rome, so those pax who were assigned to later busses had little choice but to sit and wait at the hotel.

You may purchase the transfers separately or you may purchase them as part of a cruiseline sponsored hotel package. Whether they make more or less sense to your personal situation you will need to do the calculations.

We snagged a really good deal through X at the Crown Plaza pre-trip and it included the transfers (Crown Plaza to ship pre-cruise, Ship to airport post-cruise). The process was effortless for us and was very cost effective (there were three of us).

As a participant who purchased the xfers as part of the hotel package through the cruiseline, we got "preferencial" treatment and were able to book onto a very early bus for the transfer (per our preference). I know some of the transfer-only folks had no option and were forced to wait for a later bus. As others have noted the Crown Plaza is not really "convenient" to the sights in Rome, so those pax who were assigned to later busses had little choice but to sit and wait at the hotel.

Do you remember what time you were picked up at the hotel to be taken to the pier and at what time did you reach the ship as I too have booked a pre cruise hotel at the Crowne Plaza. Thanks

I am very skeptical of Celebrity pre-cruise hotels. We paid over $500 for one night in a hotel room overlooking the air conditioners in Barcelona, which included airport pick up and bus to ship. That was about $200 more than it was worth if we had booked on our own, which we have done on every subsequent trip.

I can't imagine A) staying at the Crowne Plaza when in Rome, since it is remote from the wonderful sites there, nor B) that it would be any kind of bargain, since X charges per person whereas hotels and cabs charge per room or cab. But to each his own. . .

The best bet is to team up with others on your roll to share private transfers; we had a shared van for 8 from Civitavecchia right to the door of our hotel in the historic center of Rome for 25E/pp. So $63 doesn't sound much like a bargain to me especially for a shorter distance and on a big bus where you travel on their schedule instead of yours. . .

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Rome and yes it was remote. We were on the last transfer from the hotel to the pier that left at 1pm which meant that we had to check out of the room and bide our time. Thought we would go for a walk but that was too scary as the sidewalks were very narrow and then disappeared. Large, bulky buses whipping around the corners freaked me out but good. Back we scurried to the hotel

What I don't know is how the bus assignments are handled. We might have been given the last bus because we were late getting into the hotel the night before and assignments were done on a first-come basis. Lovely hotel though. We got in at 10pm and the staff couldn't do enough to provide us with food choices while listening to the musician at the piano bar.

Since then we typically use Bob's Limo (3x) - clean vehicles and English speaking drivers. No waiting for slowpokes.:D

Onessa - We did purchase the transfers separately and as Cathycruises stated, we have experienced in the past that the hotels through the cruise lines are grossly overpriced. Additionally, the Crowne is in a remote location from the center of the city. We made our own hotel reservations with breakfast included in the center of Rome during July for $175 a night. When we arrived at the Crowne we signed up for the next bus and I think we waited 20 minutes or so and off we went.

I am very skeptical of Celebrity pre-cruise hotels. We paid over $500 for one night in a hotel room overlooking the air conditioners in Barcelona, which included airport pick up and bus to ship. That was about $200 more than it was worth if we had booked on our own, which we have done on every subsequent trip.

I can't imagine A) staying at the Crowne Plaza when in Rome, since it is remote from the wonderful sites there, nor B) that it would be any kind of bargain, since X charges per person whereas hotels and cabs charge per room or cab. But to each his own. . .

The best bet is to team up with others on your roll to share private transfers; we had a shared van for 8 from Civitavecchia right to the door of our hotel in the historic center of Rome for 25E/pp. So $63 doesn't sound much like a bargain to me especially for a shorter distance and on a big bus where you travel on their schedule instead of yours. . .

Cathycruises -I totally agree with you with the exception of the value and cost - the $63 was for Round Trip - first to the ship from Rome and then to the airport in Venice at the end of the cruise; 25 Euros is not really a bargain for one way. It is more than what we paid if you make it a round trip amount 25E x 2 equals 50E or US$68

Edited by neilrr

My wife and I also stayed at the CP about 5 years ago because of the ease of transfer to the port. Since then we have done other cruises out of or into Rome and have found it more convenient and less expensive to book Hotel and private transfer(romelimousineplus)on line. CP is overpriced and secluded from everything and we would think twice about staying there again. We tried to find a rest. within walking distance with no success and resorted to taking a bus into town. We also have been traveling with 4 other people which also gets the better transfer rates. Good luck with your choice and hope this was helpful.:):):)

have stayed in cp about 4 times and just noticed the last time we stayed they had a celebrity sign up

really like the cp and enjoy the pool as well as the breakfast buffet :)

I dont mind being not in the centre normally take the shuttle or just stay at the pool

Yes, Celebrity does transfers to the port from Crowne Plaza.

HOWEVER, Crowne Plaza also does its own transfers (independent from cruise lines) for a cheaper rate, I believe it was $50pp.

You should look into both options as well as getting a private transfer if cost is issue. For convenience, the cruise line or the Crowne Plaza's transfer will probably be better.

Do you remember what time you were picked up at the hotel to be taken to the pier and at what time did you reach the ship as I too have booked a pre cruise hotel at the Crowne Plaza. Thanks

We were booked on the first bus which left around 10:45 - can't remember how long the trip was, but we got all of our last-minute paperwork done at the hotel and were able to walk right up to the check-in desk and were on the ship in minutes.

Another bonus was that they picked up our luggage from our room at about 6:00am and placed it on our bus. We just placed the suitcases just inside the door and they (very quietly) picked them up and we were happily reunited on-board never needing to touch them again.

Onessa - We did purchase the transfers separately and as Cathycruises stated, we have experienced in the past that the hotels through the cruise lines are grossly overpriced. Additionally, the Crowne is in a remote location from the center of the city. We made our own hotel reservations with breakfast included in the center of Rome during July for $175 a night. When we arrived at the Crowne we signed up for the next bus and I think we waited 20 minutes or so and off we went.
As I indicated we got a really good deal on our stay through the cruise line -- it may not be typical, but it worked for us -- $205US per night triple occupancy with breakfast and all transfers. Transfer from airport to hotel (they actually pulled our bag off of the carousel at the airport, loaded it to van, got us to the hotel. Hotel was wonderfully quiet and had a complementary shuttle into the center of historic Rome proper (drop off/pick up VERY convenient) scheduled multiple times per day. They handled our bags from the hotel room onto the bus for transfer to pier. Our hotel/transfer package also included from ship to airport on the back end of the trip.

Do they ALWAYS offer great deals, no. But I would not discount them out of hand.

As I indicated we got a really good deal on our stay through the cruise line -- it may not be typical, but it worked for us -- $205US per night triple occupancy with breakfast and all transfers. Transfer from airport to hotel (they actually pulled our bag off of the carousel at the airport, loaded it to van, got us to the hotel. Hotel was wonderfully quiet and had a complementary shuttle into the center of historic Rome proper (drop off/pick up VERY convenient) scheduled multiple times per day. They handled our bags from the hotel room onto the bus for transfer to pier. Our hotel/transfer package also included from ship to airport on the back end of the trip.

Do they ALWAYS offer great deals, no. But I would not discount them out of hand.

Onessa - Glad that it was a good deal for you. We have not found booking hotels through the cruise lines are priced fairly - in general. We booked only once in Barcelona at a high rate and never booked with them again.

We like to be in the city center and it was actually quite funny, as we asked a policeman in St. Peter's Square where the Crowne was and he had no idea. When we took the cab from our hotel and zoomed past St. Peters we expected it to be pretty close by - it was about 3-4 miles further. We were really surprised. The Crowne was very nice, but too far out for us. I assume most people are going all the way to Rome to see the city, not be on the outskirts. We wish you happy travels. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying at the Crown also. We have never had a problem with booking the hotel through the Cruise Line. We will be taking a tour for one day and will take the shuttle to town the 2nd day. I don't think you can go wrong no matter where you stay. Hey we are on vacation. Enjoy

Fran