Carnival vs Princess

~Christie~

22 consecutive cruises on Carnival . . . got a great rate to do the Alaskan cruise on the Star Princess . . . beautiful ship, great dining, wonderful passengers, superior entertainment and incredible scenery. Love everything about Princess. Will cruise again if the price is right.

Princess gives an award (recognition) for being the passenger on their particular ship with the most days cruising. I really had an enjoyable tablemate with the Princess cruiser with the most days with Princess. I almost fell off my chair - 795 days with Princess ! !

Leaving November 18th for a short cruise aboard the Carnival Inspiration. Haven't been on a Fantasy class ship for several years, got a great rate (Carnival eliminated the SOLO penalty completely).:)

I think there are something like 30,000 Elite (highest) level cruisers with Princess and no indication they will ever add another level so they do have a few extra recognition perks.

I think there are something like 30,000 Elite (highest) level cruisers with Princess and no indication they will ever add another level so they do have a few extra recognition perks.

Wow, 30K, who would have thunk the love boat sailed so much!

Leaving November 18th for a short cruise aboard the Carnival Inspiration. Haven't been on a Fantasy class ship for several years, got a great rate (Carnival eliminated the SOLO penalty completely).:)

I know they were doing that for some ships/sailings. Has it gone fleet wide? (good news for many though, no doubt)!

Tom

I know they were doing that for some ships/sailings. Has it gone fleet wide? (good news for many though, no doubt)!

Tom

Not yet, I don't know if they are testing or only putting on slower selling shorter trips. I plan on asking this when I get to rub elbows with some Carnival people this weekend.

I have just been on Princess once and Carnival 2 times for cruises in the 2000's...LOL.

I just loved Princess..this new level of the line taking everything great about the last few ships and making it greater..they are understated elegance and stunning at same time ships..I LOVE Princess..and not that i do not like Carnival but it is just a step up in many ways...yes there are always little "like better's" about everything, especially a line one has loved and taken so loyally..but excited for Golfadj and just Love them...want to go on this next level of ship..but it is all good..now people from Crystal may complain and did on my innaugural cruise on Star with my cruise sales friend...(lucky me)..yes it is not Crystal..LOL..the line my friend likes the most but she and i loved Princess..that cruise..and it was her business partner and dearest friend's favorite line..he passed and this is how I was so very lucky...looking forward to Princess again in my future, I am sure they took some cuts like all have had to, but reports still fabulous..and the pools, tile, water...good varried types of live music everywhere, spa..well all of it was amazing to me, loved Sabbatinis and Main and Lido..it is a nice Lido..elegant..Sarah

The mini suite and free top shelf Vodka for top producers on this Fam cruise..well all was amazing..very lucky was I...sarah

So you like Princess :D:D

I can only afford one cruise next year so it's going to be my 20th anniversary on Princess or 50th birthday on Carnival. If last minute rates are good, then back to Alaska, no matter what on Princess.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I can only afford one cruise next year so it's going to be my 20th anniversary on Princess or 50th birthday on Carnival. If last minute rates are good, then back to Alaska, no matter what on Princess.

I noticed Princess had crazy crazy low prices this summer for their Alaskan cruises.

As low as $750 for 14 days OV. Wow! Maybe ,if price history repeats, we will do one summer 14.:)

Ok, well Hubby and I thought we were going to go on CCL Dream for sure then we found out we are able to get a good deal on the Caribbean Princess which would be about the same in cost as the cruise we were planning on the Dream out of NOLA.

So, now we are torn! We love Carnival, but would also love to sail Princess as well. We are wanting a nice, romantic, and relaxed cruise for our anniversary. Can anyone please tell me what the differences are between the two? Any advice?

thanks!

No offense to the CCL cheerleaders, but I would pick princess :) Better atmosphere, more relaxing, romantic and a bit calmer than a carnival. Carnival is cheap. Princess is better :)

Tom

Actually, Tom, I'm a little miffed at my PVP . . . when I booked this November 18 four-day cruise, I asked her if there were any other cruises leaving Long Beach that were SOLO without the penalty, and she responded NO. I later noticed that the MIRACLE was doing this for the Dec. 8th cruise. As it turns out I have a prior commitment for that week, but she should have suggested that also.

I'm sure this little bonus is not fleet wide. I think it's just for the problem areas Carnival is having filling their ships. The West Coast is a disaster, IMHO. With the housing crash and recession, I think they are just having big problems filling their ships here.

We went on the Caribbean princess in April 2012 for our 25th anniversary. We too had an aft balcony. On the day of our anniversary we had the ultimate balcony dinner. There is room on the aft's for the table and chairs but it was a little tight.

Was worth the extra cost and truly a night I will remember forever.

Good choice of ship and line. I too use princess ncl and carnival and after 15 cruises still prefer princess. If both carnival and princess are the same cost my choice is princess. Generally princess runs at a minimum 25 percent higher than both of the other lines

Congrats

Marsha

Sailed CCL 3x and Crown Princess once earlier this year. Quick thoughts...it's a pretty ship. Dining was very good. We had a Caribe balcony which was phenomenal! The cabin love ended there, though. The Princess shower seemed smaller (?). Plus, in the end, it's all about the bed, and our bed was not comfy. Pillows were worse. I'm picky, but all of our beds on Carnival cruises have been outstanding. Perfect. And, after our thick towels and soft robes on Carnival, we assumed all cruises have the same. No. Those things may not be as important to the OP as they are to us.

Edited by MpwdMom

Sailed CCL 3x and Crown Princess once earlier this year. Quick thoughts...it's a pretty ship. Dining was very good. We had a Caribe balcony which was phenomenal! The cabin love ended there, though. The Princess shower seemed smaller (?). Plus, in the end, it's all about the bed, and our bed was not comfy. Pillows were worse. I'm picky, but all of our beds on Carnival cruises have been outstanding. Perfect. And, after our thick towels and soft robes on Carnival, we assumed all cruises have the same. No. Those things may not be as important to the OP as they are to us.

Does Princess have the robes?

Princess has robes - the default ones are a waffle weave variety and not as nice as on Carnival. Princess does have a better robe you can try to get your steward to bring.

and I think Princess showers are on the small size, as well.

thanks! that is not a "deal breaker" but nice to know. :D

That "flawed paradigm", as you put it is used by every successful service business in the world. Why do you think airlines and hotels and cruise lines have customer reward programs. It's called "customer retention". If you think they can fill every room, seat or cabin by just relying on "new business" you are truly mistaken. There was a study done in the 1990's of service organizations by the TARP Institute in Cambridge MA that said it cost substantially more money to attract new business then it does to keep existing customers. Let's agree to disagree.

Airlines and hotels are not in the cruise business and depend on gouging business customers. Carnival doesn't.

That sounds just great!!!:):D

LOL..I treasure that cruise and time with that friend, but i am truly saying..I think they are great and definitely upper level so called "mass market"..i hate that term because it is special to cruise on most lines...Sarah:)

Brand new ship in appx 2003 or so and innaugural cruise...the Star..and the one thing...yes..bad beds..i thought they had improved on that..they dipped terribly brand new!! Used a towel then!!..i would maybe take a new twin eggcrate to toss and leave and use extra towels in middle under mattress for dip...that is bad on my back...Carnival put something on for me..did not dip but was too hard at first...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Actually, Tom, I'm a little miffed at my PVP . . . when I booked this November 18 four-day cruise, I asked her if there were any other cruises leaving Long Beach that were SOLO without the penalty, and she responded NO. I later noticed that the MIRACLE was doing this for the Dec. 8th cruise. As it turns out I have a prior commitment for that week, but she should have suggested that also.

I'm sure this little bonus is not fleet wide. I think it's just for the problem areas Carnival is having filling their ships. The West Coast is a disaster, IMHO. With the housing crash and recession, I think they are just having big problems filling their ships here.

While I think you perceive that Carnival is having trouble filling their ships on the west coast, they in reality all go out full, often at higher prices then similar cruises out of Florida. This is also evidenced by the fact that starting in January the Imagination is being repositioned from Miami and will join the Inspiration in offering similar 3&4 day cruises out of Long Beach on different days. Combine this with seasonal Miracle sailings I think the West coast for Carnival is doing just fine. I assure you the west coast is NOT a disaster for Carnival.

well, we had to wait to book our cruise until after the new year....but hopefully we can still get the same or close to the same rate for the Princess sailing.... if not then it is back the our original plan for carnival dream either in April or May....

Ok, well Hubby and I thought we were going to go on CCL Dream for sure then we found out we are able to get a good deal on the Caribbean Princess which would be about the same in cost as the cruise we were planning on the Dream out of NOLA.

So, now we are torn! We love Carnival, but would also love to sail Princess as well. We are wanting a nice, romantic, and relaxed cruise for our anniversary. Can anyone please tell me what the differences are between the two? Any advice?

thanks!

Considering what you are looking for on your cruise, Princess would be your best option. Nothing against Carnival, they are just different styles of cruising.