Celebrity now preventing Non US/Canadian guests from booking with US Agents?

simon stingray

I am aware that Celebrity (along with other cruise lines) have had a policy for some time which prevents guests who do not reside in the United States or Canada from booking through US based travel agents.

However, unlike other cruise lines Celebrity has not been enforcing this policy for quite some time and we have had no problem booking previous cruises with some of the big online US based agents as well as using a well known website where agents send you their best quote.

This is how we booked our August Infinity cruise without any problem.

Whilst searching for our next cruise using US based agents (including the ones which we recently booked through) I keep getting the same message which reads:

You must be a resident of the United States or Canada to purchase a cruise with us for this cruise line.

Is anyone aware if Celebrity has had a recent change of policy and the reasons for this as this is very disappointing news:(

Hi,

Why don't you try a UK based agent then? We used to do US but with the exchange rate UK works out better now.

We use a UK discount cruise store called ****** They work out best and call them maybe?

Good Luck!

they have lousy T&C with loads of change fees, like

£50 (plus VAT) per person cruise change fee plus the commision value of the booking lost in addition to any cancellation charges imposed by the travel supplier for any bookings transferred to a new cruise than the original booked

Edited by insidecabin

I am European national and resident and booked on board 3 weeks ago for next year.

Had 2 options via the on-board Celebrity booking system : 1. booking in my original currency with Celebrity, or

2. Booking in USD at same time transferring to US agent (which I had used before, or another one I had full name and details on).

I could not book in USD and remain directly with Celebrity because of non US address (which was same as it has been for years now), but I could still go via US agent.

Edited by odysee

If this is the case, it may be worth asking the agent with whom you have previously booked, is he able to book for you as an existing client. I believe this is the case now for Princess.

Thanks for this-definitely worth a try.

Hi,

Why don't you try a UK based agent then? We used to do US but with the exchange rate UK works out better now.

We use a UK discount cruise store called love it book it dot com. They work out best and call them maybe?

Good Luck!

We have used UK agents in the past but really don't feel that we get a good deal or service.

Onboard credit or other incentives are almost unheard of when booking in the UK.

One of the big UK agents charge a "booking fee"of £39.00 for the privilege of booking with them.

US agents take your credit card details and pass this on to Celebrity who debit your payments directly. UK agents debit your credit card themselves and then transfer the funds to Celebrity. The problem that I have with this is some of them will not accept Amex which I always use and others want to charge an additional 3.5% fee for accepting payment by credit card.

The UK agents which I have delt with seem to have little knowledge of Celebrity's ships and policies. One agent knew nothing of Celebrity's price drop policy (before final payment) informing me that once I had booked they would not adjust the price and another agent continually insisted that Constellation had A Molecular bar AND that Both passengers in the stateroom would have to book the Premium alcohol package as this was Celebrity's policy:rolleyes:

Being forced to use UK agents will not stop us cruising but I find it frustrating when the so called travel professionals really do not seem to know the product which they are trying to sell.

I booked a July 2014 cruise on Infinity directly with a US agent last week. I did ask the rep if it was allowed before I did and was told that there were no problems at all. When I log in to my Celebrity account the booking clearly shows that I live in the UK.

As to why I used one it seems to me from reading the forums here that if any new offers come up that I will have more chance of getting them from the US TA than I would from a UK based one. Only time will tell

Tried to book a RCI cruise yesterday with a large US on-line agency....got the same message:mad:

Steve

Have you actually spoken to the US TA? Sometimes, you can get a totally different answer if you speak directly with the TA rather than trying just to book via a website ;).

Have you actually spoken to the US TA? Sometimes, you can get a totally different answer if you speak directly with the TA rather than trying just to book via a website ;).

Suggest you try a different TA, unable to mention names but many still offer deals to non-US passengers. Sometimes you can get higher obc with an American address though.

Thank you both for your suggestions. :)