Mega Ships Versus Normal ships What think you?

Evangaline

Seems Oasis is not big enough, Quantum neither. Now there is a yet bigger Mega Ship in the works and an expanded cruise terminal in the works at Port Canaveral to support "the trend". Who is building new mid-size ships? Or will these just get refurbished until they can't anymore?

My first cruise was on Oasis. It was a hoot, but I feel I have done that been there. When I got on The Pride of America, a mid-sized ship, I went wow, this actually feels like I am on a ship! My next cruise will likely be on a mid size ship. I yearn for that feeling of riding the seas, not elbowing my way through a floating city.

So what think you: Mega Ship or Normal Ships?

It will take a long while for us to see any ship bigger than Oasis. First Quantum, Anthem, Quantum lll and Oasis lll have to come out. If anything, Oasis lll will be a few inches larger.

I think that you must sail on Oasis at least once. My first cruise was on it as well, next up is Jewel, way 2 different ships, and while I loved the Oasis, I am eager to expermient the feel of a smaller ship. While I think Jewel is still big...

I really wish RCI came up with a smaller class. It seems that if you want to sail on smaller ships you have to either pick an old one - grandeur, vision, etc oooor if you want a new one, murder your wallet going with oceania, silversea, etc. At least me, I cant afford that.

By next May...we will have sailed on the top 4 size RCI ships.

Our take:

Oasis Class is amazing - we'd do one again in a heartbeat. Tons of things to experience (did flowrider and zipline!)

Freedom Class - we're doing Independence in March and based on homework - great ships.

Voyager Class - Loved Adventure so much we sailed her twice on the same itinerary.

Radiance Class - sailing next May to Alaska, but we've done alot of homework done in advance - special ships for special destinations.

Overall, we prefer the larger ships - smoother rides, more onboard choices for eating and entertainment, and more extras in terms of special activities (love the flowrider!). One other reality - we can't even think about cruising without a balcony room.

I just got off my first sailing on the Allure. Great ship and cruise and everyone should try it once. I'll probably go on that class of ship again, but I wouldn't pay a premium to sail on it. Next cruise will probably be on the Freedom class again.

Rumor is that Port Canaveral is being worked on to accommodate an Oasis class ship, not one necessarily bigger.

I love all size ships. I've done Allure and Oasis twice each. Am booked on Quantum as it is a totally different concept. Done Freedom twice and booked again for New Years. it is one of my favorite classes. Like Voyager class but like Freedom better for the extra room.

Never done a Radiance class, but have done a number of Vision class. I love that class. I am like you, I love the "feel of being on a ship." They are beautiful and luxurious, and since they don't have so many "bells and whistles," you do more of the "cruise ship thing." For example pool games, bingo, art auctions, relaxing on the balcony, relaxing by the pool, all become more prominent because you don't have zip lines, carousels, Central Park, etc. So it's like the "old days" of cruising. Since I am a "ship lover," that is great for me.

But I love them all for various reasons and plan do do lots more cruising. I must say, that one day I want to do a small luxury cruise like Seabourn just to experience it. Got to save my pennies for that one. Want to do a European River cruise too. So many ships, so little time.

Just got off Freedom, and Jewel earlier in the year. I wish there was a ship that was a combo of them both. I missed all of the reminders that you were on a cruise ship on the Freedom as the Jewel with all of the windows. Windjammer on the Jewel was also better, especially the seating. Freedom size seemed perfect, along with the pools, solarium, whirlpools... Any chance Royal is working on a Radeedom or Freediance class of ships, huh? :)

To each his/her own, but I cruise for three reasons:

1. The feeling of being AT sea; having the ocean perpetually visible to remind me that I'm out in the middle of the ocean.
  2. To visit multiple locations on the same vacation, unpacking once.
  3. The incredible service.

I find #1 and #2 to be lacking on the larger ships. The focus on the mega-ships is INWARD, toward the unique features like Boardwalk, Central Park and carnival-type rides. The focus on the smaller ships (think Radiance Class) is OUTWARD, making the ocean the STAR attraction. The mega-ships have a very limited number of ports of call available to them. There are still islands in the southern Caribbean I have not yet visited, even after 10 Caribbean cruises. I've lost track of how many times I've been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman and I've also visited St. Maarten and St. Thomas multiple times. The big ships typically visit only three ports of call on a seven day cruise. While I understand that maxing out the sea days is probably the POINT for those who are sailing on an Oasis or Quantum class ship specifically for the SHIP experience, but that's simply NOT my priority. If I wanted to visit a big resort with multiple pools, rides, restaurants, etc., I'd probably take more land-based vacations than I do. I cruise to be AT SEA, not to experience a modern, encapsulated resort.

Please don't flame me. I get that other people have different opinions and that's FINE. I just hope they don't abandon the smaller ships entirely, leaving those of us who prefer them to chose between cruising on a mega-ship or opting for a land-based vacation.

The largest ship I have been on was the Explorer Of the Seas. Beautiful ship but I felt it was a little too large for me. In the evening it felt like I was rushing from one end of the ship to the other end to take in the entrainment.

I try to book ships in the 90-120k tons size.

It will take a long while for us to see any ship bigger than Oasis. First Quantum, Anthem, Quantum lll and Oasis lll have to come out. If anything, Oasis lll will be a few inches larger.

I think that you must sail on Oasis at least once. My first cruise was on it as well, next up is Jewel, way 2 different ships, and while I loved the Oasis, I am eager to expermient the feel of a smaller ship. While I think Jewel is still big...

I really wish RCI came up with a smaller class. It seems that if you want to sail on smaller ships you have to either pick an old one - grandeur, vision, etc oooor if you want a new one, murder your wallet going with oceania, silversea, etc. At least me, I cant afford that.

I think the Liberty (Freedom class) may be the best combination of size and options out there. I say build more of those. Although, Quantum is close, but the new 'features' turn me off and seem pointless. Not to mention sailing out of NJ in winter. What the F? If driving to NJ for the inaguaral, bring a car with snow tires.

Edited by m*u*g*

I know people have been saying that when on the Oasis class ships you do not feel like you are on a ship because of lack of sea views and being way too big etc.

I personally feel the Freedom class ships are a good size ship to be sailing on. These ships are not mega big but yet big enough to feel you are on a big ship with all the amenities.

I sailed the Oasis just to see what it would be like. No doubt, it was HUGE, and it was awesome to see what could all be done on a cruise ship. Having said that, I felt like I was in a mall the whole time. Didn't like the lack of places to look out and see the water. It actually never felt like we were on a cruise ship. I miss that the most, and quite honestly, I am in no hurry to book another Ginormous of the Seas cruise. Voyager class is good enough for me.

I have to echo the same sentiment as many of the CC'rs that posted to this thread already.

DH sailed a small Carnival ship (The Miracle) as our first cruise and we loved cruising. The following year, we took the kids and sailed on RCCL Explorer (Voyager Class) the following year and fell in love with RCCL and the Voyager Class was - to us, a perfect size and feel. We did cruise Carnival's smaller ship again after that RCCL cruise and were extremely disappointed in the service as well as sailing in THEIR smaller ship - so many less options available to us than what we found on RCCL - I'd like to cruise the Radiance class with RCCL and see if I feel the same way about the smaller ship given RCCL's service and style.

Anyway... We cruised on the Oasis last November and while we absolutely loved our vacation and our Crown Loft Suite was well - WOW, it was an EXTREMELY different experience than sailing on the Voyager Class ship, and it was an entirely different cruising experience. Don't misunderstand - my different, I don't mean better or worse - just different. Everyone kept saying to us "how do you cruise a smaller ship once you have been on the Oasis?" but we went on the Explorer this past October and simply, we still loved it! We are booked on the Explorer again before she leaves Bayonne next Fall and then on the Quantum the following February.

Each class and size of ship offers something different and is designed to fit different people's preferences. I can say that we prefer the Voyager Class - we would love to sail the Freedom class (maybe summer of 2015), and the Oasis class is indeed a floating city and felt too big for us... However, I would take any one of them over being on land any day of the week!

But to build something with even more port restrictions.... would that work?

I realize from a business point of view more larger ships may be preferred (fewer boats needed to move the same amount of passengers), but those smaller ships have much more interesting itineraries.

I hope the Quantum class works out since it appears they can dock anywhere.

Wife knows people who took their kids on Oasis as their first cruise, it spoiled them. Now it is difficult for them to cruise in smaller boats that don't have those amenities (well, not difficult but you know how kids can be).

I've never been on one of those mega ships and truthfully, I don't have any desire to. I feel like they are just "too much." My first cruise on RCI was on the Rhapsody and I LOVED that ship! :D

Famous last words. I have personally known 4 people who said that and changed their mind after actually doing that. Online I would say 80% of people who say that change their mind when they actually try it.

If I had my choice of being in this office or on almost any ship, the choice is clear.

The best thing about the mega-ships is that the "small" ships become cheaper.

I think that increasingly ship size is limited by port size. You can only drop so many thousands of people onto a caribbean island.

DW and I have been on the Freedom of the Seas twice and we are booked for the Allure in Sept 2014. We loved the FOS and we are exicited about going on the Allure.

We would like to do a Souther Caribbean on the Legend of the Seas, if RCI is still sailing that iternary in 2016.

To me if I can get on a ship that is clean, well maintained, offers great service and great food, I'm a happy camper. I've been on larger ships (some of the larger Carnival ones) where I got off and was not that pleased but have been on smaller ships and had a very good time.

The best thing about the mega-ships is that the "small" ships become cheaper.

True, and I hope newer applies as well. Hopefully the newer, but not larger Quantam class will drop prices a bit on Oasis/Allure.