Travel BC'sav

Bellfree Bat

Has any fellow cruisers purchase a "travel" BC and can recommend any particular one? We have been shopping around and looked at the ScubaPro Go and the Aqualung Zuma. Going to go look at the Zeagle this evening. Would like some divers and not just the sales people comment on pros and cons.

Thanks in advance!

dd loves her Zeagle Zena and it is the only BC our favorite dive shop recommends for women .. period.

P7030052_zpsbf493e3f.jpg

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

She used it everyday of her 6 week internship with CocoView in Roatan and it doesn't show a hit of wear. (80 + dives)

She has the optional integrated power inflator / Octopus which is nice as it reduces the rig by one hose.

Edited by Capt_BJ

I like the Oceanic personally. Any of the big brands are going to be equally safe. I would say try them on and see which one is the most comfortable. The rear inflate sometimes makes people uncomfortable on the surface. If you overinflate it will try and push you forward.

I`ve had my Zuma for three years and love it. I use it everywhere we go never had any problems after adding the pouch in the back for weights. I no longer use the integrated pouches in the front of the BC. We I first got the BC the tank would roll with me. I added the tank weight pouches and never another problem.

one final comment and I'm outa here

when searching for dive gear for dd's internship I was 'wise' and KNEW I'd get the best prices on the web. So dd and I shopped extensively and we were about to pull the trigger on a set of equipment: BC, computer, reg's

AND THEN dw said: did you check prices at our local dive shop???

KNOWING it was a waste of time we went there ....

and found brands (Zeagle and SubGear) that were not carried by the big on-line discount places . . . . AND they assembled a package that was IMO higher quality at lower price than any online package we'd found.

subsequently I decided to gift dd with an underwater camera for her once in a lifetime trip and after researching online went back to the local dive shop. They had the camera and quoted a price. I mentioned I could buy it for less online. They pulled up the site, verified the price, and BEAT IT.

If you live where there IS one, support your local small business dive shop!

If you live where there IS one, support your local small business dive shop!

Thanks for the recommendation for the Zeagle Zena. We found a dive shop only about 30 mins form us that carried multiple brands and styles of BCs and I LOVE the Zena. The 2 other local shops had limited selection. I can't wait to dive with it for the first time in a couple of weeks!

Always try to shop and buy local and small! :)

glad it worked out for you. the zeagle zena is a unique design in BC for the ladies. when we started shopping dd said she'd prefer no cummerbund and no Velcro. I just rolled my eyes at those requests .. and then found Zeagle; or got pointed to by our dive shop buddys.

Zeagle' men's designs are much more traditional but this woman's model truly is designed for the ladies and is not just a smaller version of a man's model.

and made in the USA

http://www.zeagle.com/showproduct/4/Zena/

p.s. did the dive shop tell you that you can buy the front piece sep'ly?? If you ever need a different size or just want to change color . . .

My Zena kept riding up at depth, due to the yoke being a bit too big. The shoulder straps couldn't be snugged down enough. So, I ordered a smaller size of the yoke and swapped it out. It fits perfectly now and I have no more problems.

The only drawback of the Zena is a lack of pockets, other than for weights (I don't use weight belts). I solved that by adding on their accessory pocket to the right side waist strap.

Edited by Laurie S.

you should get one 'pocket' with your purchase.

We did not, but when I went back to my shop to buy one they asked, "didn't you get one?"

and they gave me one right then ... and we had 2 tank band weight pockets already . . . .

these items are easily pulled off display items so are removed from the items hanging in the store display ... if you buy a display item you need to know what to expect in your bag....

p.s. did the dive shop tell you that you can buy the front piece sep'ly?? If you ever need a different size or just want to change color . . .

Yes, they did tell me about the fron piece that can be changed. I just got the straight black...Surely don't want my mask choice clash with a colored BC! ;) :rolleyes:

Love that it is Made in the USA and it does have one pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh .. I'd still recommend a local dive shop

DD does not mention any of the options (we bought the integrated Octo/inflator) and I have not even tried to compare the price since we bought the BC, regs and computer at the same time

BUT

please provide us feedback!!!! So few do and it really helps others to know if a recommendation worked or not.

I wish I was Cayman'ing with you!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Oh .. I'd still recommend a local dive shop

DD does not mention any of the options (we bought the integrated Octo/inflator) and I have not even tried to compare the price since we bought the BC, regs and computer at the same time

BUT

please provide us feedback!!!! So few do and it really helps others to know if a recommendation worked or not.

I wish I was Cayman'ing with you!!!

Loved the Zena! Dove in Cayman, Belize and Cozumel with it. Never rode up and fit and worked great even with the heavy steel tanks in Cozumel! Our dives were wonderful!

• 4 months later...