Nov 3rd Jewel additional review

Da-Painter

We just got off the Jewel 7 day Caribbean from New Orleans to Jamaica, George Town & Cozumel, from November 3rd to 10th. Since there is another similar review, I do not want to duplicate anything, but add our experiences.

We also had a Aft Suite, first time with an aft, and enjoyed it. We could leave the door partly open at nite to hear the ocean, we did not mind the minor amount of additional rocking, we actually enjoyed it. The cabin was very quiet, never heard anything.

John D'Souza was our concierge, and thought he was the most involved concierge we have had. He kept in contact with us, in person and on the phone, making sure we knew the events coming up. The early entrance to the Chocolate Buffet, preferred embarkation & disembarkation, suite gatherings, he would come through the restaurants to see how we were doing. We used him for a few things, he made it a point to be visible and available to help us with anything.

Teresa was our butler, again, she did a great job.

I reached Platinum, and went on the "Behind the Scenes Tour" with Natalie, the Cruise Consultant. She also headed the Latitudes parties, she did a great job on the cruise. The tour was on Monday, about an hour long. I had been on the ship tour before.

We ate at the MDR's for dinner, and a few lunches, and never had any issues with service or quality of food, it was all very good. One nite everyone on the ship went to dinner at the same time, and were given a pager and coupons for everyone for a free Bubbly at the bar, had about a 20 minute wait. DW and I are both Platinum, we had 2 free dinners. We went to Le Bistro one nite and we could substitute for Chin Chin for the 2nd nite. Both were excellent, also very empty. Teppanyaki was always busy, but they also put on a show for you. We went to the Blue Lagoon a few times, good as always. Its on the 8th floor, and seems to be a hidden secret, as never packed.

Had room service on two mornings when we had shore excursions, delivered promptly and good.

Had Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, agree, the breakfast was good, but the lunch, not much of a different menu from other restaurants on the ship.

Went to two shows, the 2 comedians/magic show. Both were funny and good, had seen many shows on other cruises, did not feel we missed anything.

We did 3 shore excursions thru the ship: River Tubing Safari, very slow paced, DW did the Dunn Falls, and really enjoyed it. Stingray/Barrier Reef, had very rough seas at our first stop, they cut the time short, and supposively gave us a partial credit back, The 2nd location we had Stingrays swimming all around us, they were raised around people, and were very tame. The 3rd excursion, in Cozumel, we went to a small ruin, the guide spent about 45 minutes explaining the history to us, we saw about 1/2 of it, then it was time to go. Went to a beach restuarant with a pool and chairs to sit on. The beach was rocky and too rough to go into. Pretty lame excursion. We should have booked our excursions right after getting on the ship, the ones we really wanted were booked.

In Cozumel, we docked next to the Pearl, and late in the day, the music and dancing by the crews of the two ships occurred again. They did this last year, and it was entertaining to watch for about 2 hours before we departed. Crew in costumes and on stilts, the music sounded the same, but the crew and returning guests all had a good time.

We found the ship very clean and in good condition, the staff always friendly. Not a lot of kids on the ship, of course at this time of the year you would not expect many. Never saw any issues with fellow guests. There will always be folks that are not familiar with elevator usage, it seems unnecessary to pass out an instruction manual for its usage, but, maybe it would be helpful for some folks. Remember, let the folks out, before you barge your way into the elevator. Attended the Meet & Greet, so got to meet fellow CC'ers.

Over all, a great cruise, bought a few more Cruise Rewards, so have to get to work on where we are going next. I asked the possibility of adding Australia to the agenda, and was told they have started selling Cruise Rewards there, (?), so maybe that will be a new location to be added, as new ships coming out, and the new schedules to be released in the next month.

We were happy with the ship and cruise, so look forward to continue cruising with NCL. No hot negative issues, pleased with everything. Any question, please ask.

We also had a Aft Suite, first time with an aft, and enjoyed it. We could leave the door partly open at nite to hear the ocean, we did not mind the minor amount of additional rocking, we actually enjoyed it. The cabin was very quiet, never heard anything.

I reached Platinum, and went on the "Behind the Scenes Tour" with Natalie, the Cruise Consultant. She also headed the Latitudes parties, she did a great job on the cruise. The tour was on Monday, about an hour long. I had been on the ship tour before.

Over all, a great cruise, bought a few more Cruise Rewards, so have to get to work on where we are going next. I asked the possibility of adding Australia to the agenda, and was told they have started selling Cruise Rewards there, (?), so maybe that will be a new location to be added, as new ships coming out, and the new schedules to be released in the next month.

How did you keep the door open and not have it slide back and forth?

Where all did they take you on the tour? I really want to take the tour as we just turned platinum but not sure my back will hold up long enough.:(

I really hope they do open up in Australia as I definitely put it on my bucket list.

Glad you had a great cruise. We will be on her for Christmas.:D

How did you keep the door open and not have it slide back and forth?

We put a wet hand towel on the bottom track, which kept it open. "Most of our motion was forward to aft, but we did have the side motion which would cause it to slide open and close."

Where all did they take you on the tour? I really want to take the tour as we just turned platinum but not sure my back will hold up long enough.:(

"The tour was 1 hour, on our last cruise DW went on, (on the Spirit) it was almost 2 hours. This one we walked down the I-95 hallway on the 4th floor, went through 1 side of the theatre dressing room, (not onto the stage as in past tours), through one side of the kitchen connecting the MDR's, to the bridge viewing room, at the forward of deck 11. The only stairs were up and down narrow stairways at the aft, going up and back down to the dressing rooms. Otherwise, we took the elevators up and down. You could always start the tour, and stop at anytime you do not feel like continuing, just let the tour director know you are done."

I really hope they do open up in Australia as I definitely put it on my bucket list. "We, as well as a lot of other folks, are hoping the same."

Glad you had a great cruise. We will be on her for Christmas.:D

"It was a nice cruise, no complaints, have a good time.:)"

We just got off the Jewel 7 day Caribbean from New Orleans to Jamaica, George Town & Cozumel, from November 3rd to 10th. Since there is another similar review, I do not want to duplicate anything, but add our experiences.

John D'Souza was our concierge, and thought he was the most involved concierge we have had. He kept in contact with us, in person and on the phone, making sure we knew the events coming up. The early entrance to the Chocolate Buffet, preferred embarkation & disembarkation, suite gatherings, he would come through the restaurants to see how we were doing. We used him for a few things, he made it a point to be visible and available to help us with anything.

Teresa was our butler, again, she did a great job.

We ate at the MDR's for dinner, and a few lunches, and never had any issues with service or quality of food, it was all very good. One nite everyone on the ship went to dinner at the same time, and were given a pager and coupons for everyone for a free Bubbly at the bar, had about a 20 minute wait. DW and I are both Platinum, we had 2 free dinners. We went to Le Bistro one nite and we could substitute for Chin Chin for the 2nd nite. Both were excellent, also very empty. Teppanyaki was always busy, but they also put on a show for you. We went to the Blue Lagoon a few times, good as always. Its on the 8th floor, and seems to be a hidden secret, as never packed.

Had room service on two mornings when we had shore excursions, delivered promptly and good.

Had Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, agree, the breakfast was good, but the lunch, not much of a different menu from other restaurants on the ship.

Went to two shows, the 2 comedians/magic show. Both were funny and good, had seen many shows on other cruises, did not feel we missed anything.

We did 3 shore excursions thru the ship: River Tubing Safari, very slow paced, DW did the Dunn Falls, and really enjoyed it. Stingray/Barrier Reef, had very rough seas at our first stop, they cut the time short, and supposively gave us a partial credit back, The 2nd location we had Stingrays swimming all around us, they were raised around people, and were very tame. The 3rd excursion, in Cozumel, we went to a small ruin, the guide spent about 45 minutes explaining the history to us, we saw about 1/2 of it, then it was time to go. Went to a beach restuarant with a pool and chairs to sit on. The beach was rocky and too rough to go into. Pretty lame excursion. We should have booked our excursions right after getting on the ship, the ones we really wanted were booked.

In Cozumel, we docked next to the Pearl, and late in the day, the music and dancing by the crews of the two ships occurred again. They did this last year, and it was entertaining to watch for about 2 hours before we departed. Crew in costumes and on stilts, the music sounded the same, but the crew and returning guests all had a good time.

We found the ship very clean and in good condition, the staff always friendly. Not a lot of kids on the ship, of course at this time of the year you would not expect many. Never saw any issues with fellow guests. There will always be folks that are not familiar with elevator usage, it seems unnecessary to pass out an instruction manual for its usage, but, maybe it would be helpful for some folks. Remember, let the folks out, before you barge your way into the elevator. Attended the Meet & Greet, so got to meet fellow CC'ers.

We were happy with the ship and cruise, so look forward to continue cruising with NCL. No hot negative issues, pleased with everything. Any question, please ask.

Thanks for your review and appreciate your taking the time to share your experiences!:)

Sailing with DD in an aft suite in April and so looking forward to the "suite" life!

Thanks for your review. Very concise and addressed a few "concerns" many people have...goes to show if you look for positive you will find it ..like wise with negative.

We are looking ff to being in an AFT balcony in January. Slightly different itinerary but it will be a wonderful cruise.

We are doing the same cruise next week. How was the traffic on the way to the port? An earlier poster said it was a zoo, but I was hoping it had gotten straightened out.

Thanks in advance!

Jo Ann

We spent the nite in Lake Charles, LA, left there about 9AM and drove directly to the Fulton Garage, got to the garage about noon, and no problems with traffic. 60+ MPH all the way through town. But we spoke to someone who also drove into NO that same day, and they mentioned how bad traffic was. I dont know if it was horrible earlier, or later, but for us, no problem.:)

ALSO, thanks to CC'ers, for the advice for Fulton Garage. We registered and pre-paid for parking at Fulton Garage for $8/day, I think its usually $12/day. Spoke to some folks who parked at another lot paying $20/day.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!! Thinking of booking it again for next year.

Its a good get-a-way cruise, we like the sea days as much as the port days. :):)